The Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge discussion

Fahrenheit 451
This topic is about Fahrenheit 451
Book Discussions > Fahrenheit 451

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Frau Spätzle (soenne) | 145 comments Mod
Fahrenheit 451 is our book for April 2019. Holly will be our discussion leader this month - so watch out for her posts below. Thank you, Holly!

Elba (elbamaria) | 99 comments Exciting. I have never read Fahrenheit 451. I am looking forward to the discussion. Cheers!

message 3: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie Johnson | 299 comments I love this book. I will probably re-read it if I have time.

Mindy Jones (mindyrecycles) I've had it on Audible for a while. Looking forward to listening and to the discussion.

message 5: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly | 231 comments Mod
So happy that this is the April Read. I just finished it in January.

What are your expectations for the book?

message 6: by Caroline (last edited Apr 03, 2019 07:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Caroline (carolinerudolph) | 49 comments I believe this book originally was a short story that was extended into becoming a short book, so the first portion seems to drag slightly. It is crazy to think this was written over 50 years ago for how brilliantly the "futuristic" technology and theme rings true.

I especially like the interaction where the wife's friends were getting offended by facing their own truths, yet being so mindless, methodical, and meaningless in what they are willing to accept daily. I really enjoyed how it is impossible to ignore the similarities between our current world and the way he portrayed a dystopian world.

message 7: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly | 231 comments Mod
Yes, the interactions between Guy and the rest of society are very interesting. I did find it hard to follow at times, requiring a little bit of back up, re-read that. I think it was interesting how it ended. Almost warning like. ( I won't say anymore until later, don't want to give away the ending)

Margriet (m4rgriet) | 12 comments I'm in. In the library catalog it says it is about destroying books and possessing books is illegal. I'm very curious what this is about.

Elba (elbamaria) | 99 comments Bradbury at his best in this novella. Brilliant and written in the 1950's. Incredible how insightful and eerily mirrored to our current society. To me it spoke of how important humanity is to the natural world. To be human, to love, to feel, to have our own thoughts, to disagree, to be kind, and most of all to be tolerant of each others differences. Slow down, enjoy life and respect yourself and others and by golly read, read, read. I found it interesting the dichotomy between books and videos in the book....granted I love videos just not on 4 panels in my den 24/7.... Extremism

message 10: by jb (new) - rated it 4 stars

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 59 comments I just finished this book last month. I really enjoyed it once I got the feel of the style of writing.

message 11: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly | 231 comments Mod
I think it speaks volumes to the level of technology we have in our society. I mean how many of us read PAPER books anymore? (I do but I'm old fashioned lol as I type this from my smartphone.....)

Rebecca (becstokes) | 38 comments I have already read this book and it's one of my favourites! I'd really like to read more Ray Bradbury.

Tim Robbins does an amazing job of narrating the audio book if anyone is interested?

I tried to watch the recent tv series, but bailed when there was no Mrs Montag! She was my favourite character!

I want a Mrs Montag doorbell...

message 13: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly | 231 comments Mod
I didn't realize they made it into a series.

We should be almost done with the book so I'm going to ask:

What was the one thing that you enjoyed from the book?
What was the one thing that annoyed you the most?

Mindy Jones (mindyrecycles) I just started listening but will answer these when done. However...I'm not finding this title on the "official list". Am I just missing it?

Heather Jarrett | 1 comments I loved the plot and symbolism in 451. It's been awhile since I read this book. Don't remember what annoyed me. I remember immediately asking everyone if they had read the book.

I think the book was just fine. I liked the premise and plot, but couldn't relate to Montag at all. His behaviour seemed so erratic I felt it difficult to relate to him.

message 17: by Cathrine (last edited Apr 28, 2019 03:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cathrine | 14 comments I'm super-late in starting this book. It's the middle of the night here, and I have work in the morning, but I'm planning to start it tomorrow (after work)!

I'm so excited about this book, though! It's one I've been wanting to read for a very long time.

Rebecca (becstokes) | 38 comments Mindy wrote: "I just started listening but will answer these when done. However...I'm not finding this title on the "official list". Am I just missing it?"

Mindy, I think you're right! I can't find it on the Black and White list either. It is however on the Going Down Swinging rory challenge - there are too many of these lists!
It's definitely worth a read though :)

You're absolutely right, Mindy! I'm sorry, I missed this when checking the suggestions... Same thing happened when we read Little Women. I couldn't find that on the list either (and it was such a long and boring read for me).

Both, however, are on the "Reading with Rory" list, which seems to be a fairly recent list put together by three fans who double-checked the references and sorted out the films and added some books which were not included in earlier lists.

Ah well... ;)

message 20: by Zoe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zoe (zoemmaude) | 46 comments Mindy wrote: "I just started listening but will answer these when done. However...I'm not finding this title on the "official list". Am I just missing it?"

There are a few that have been read in this group that I can't find on the list...Sense and Sensibility for one. I've however already read Fahrenheit 451 so if it were on the list would already have checked it off!

Also, does anyone know where the "Additional" list at the bottom of the Black White and Read list are from?

Mindy Jones (mindyrecycles) Okay, glad I'm not crazy. I agree, totally worth reading for any reason, plus some evidence that it's mentioned in the show. I'm still watching for the first time so I'll keep my ears open.

Mindy

Caroline (carolinerudolph) | 49 comments I remember a reference where Lorelei and Luke were in the diner with Taylor? and she referenced something along the lines of burning books would be the next town event, maybe it was a pull from that?

message 23: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly | 231 comments Mod
I'm going to continue the thread even though it's May. Those who finished...thoughts?

Mindy Jones (mindyrecycles) Thanks for allowing for us stragglers, Holly. I finished this week and loved it. 5 stars. I thought it was such a powerful depiction of what can happen when minds aren't free.

What was the one thing that you enjoyed from the book?

I thought all the fire metaphors were extremely clever and strong. Fire can burn or it can warm...depending upon whose hands it is in.

What was the one thing that annoyed you the most?

Being a Baptist fundamentalist-turned-atheist, there was way too much Bible for me. haha No mention of any other religious books, which I found strange. There was a section where someone was going to read someone to sleep and they chose the book of Job...really? That one would give me nightmares. So I didn't quite get what Bradbury was doing with all the hints at religious persecution. Surely the Bible was safe in 1950s America even as it is now. It's other books and ideas that are often endangered.

message 25: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly | 231 comments Mod
Reading about Ray Bradbury for other reasons, he talked very little about religion but he did do one interview where he talks about his faith. Given the book of Job is about why God allows suffering, I took the reference as proving reason for the "suffering" of the characters. Take that as you will, my thoughts.