Mount TBR 2019 discussion

Level 2: Mount Blanc (24 books) > Victoria’s moving on to the second peak

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Victoria (last edited Jun 09, 2019 08:56AM) (new)

Victoria (crushedbymytbr) | 28 comments I managed Pike’s Peak, gotta keep going.

The journey so far:

1. Sparrow Hill Road by Seanan McGuire (Ghost Roads #1)
2. All These Worlds by Denis E Taylor (Bobiverse #3 - series complete)
3. The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (Chaos Walking #1)
4. Spell or High Water by Scott Meyer (Magic 2.0 #2)
5. The Hating Game by Sally Thorne
6. An Unwelcome Quest by Scott Meyer (Magic 2.0 #3)
7. Skitter by Ezekiel Boone (The Hatching #2)
8. Zero Day by Ezekiel Boone (The Hatching #3 - series complete)
9. The Suicide Shop by Jean Teulé
10. Gemina by Jay Kristoff & Amie Kaufman (Illuminae Files #2)
11. Into the Drowning Deep by Mira Grant
12. Fight and Flight by Scott Meyer (Magic 2.0 #4)

Onward we climb...

13. Out of Spite, Out of Mind by Scott Meyer (Magic 2.0 #5 - series caught up)
14. Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo (Grishaverse #3 - series complete)
15. Paper and Fire by Rachel Caine (The Great Library #2)
16. The Dispatcher by John Scalzi
17. Want To Play? by P J Tracy (Monkeewrench #1)
18. The Girl of Ink and Stars by Kiran Millwood Hargrave
19. When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon
20. Obsidio by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff (Illuminae Files #3 - series complete)
21. Royals (aka Prince Charming) by Rachel Hawkins (Royals #1)
22. Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Prachett & Neil Gaiman
23. Unearthed by Amie Kaufman & Megan Spooner (Unearthed #1)
24. Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History by Art Siegelman (Maus #1)

Woohoo! Another peak conquered. Unfortunately I think I've accumulated over 30 books in this time...

message 2: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (crushedbymytbr) | 28 comments 13. Out of Spite, Out of Mind (Magic 2.0 #5) by Scott Meyer

Woohoo! Caught up on the series (thought I could move it to the completed shelf but sequel announced just this month). Knocked off both my kindle and audio lists.

Probably 3, maybe 3.5 stars.

Time travel is always a risky plot, and I don’t think it worked here. The author relied too much on ‘that’s what my future self did, so that’s what I will do’, meaning he never had to give the characters a reason to do anything, or us a reason to care.

Luke Daniels was, as always, an amazing narrator. All the characters had distinct voices (view spoiler). I’m not sure I would have stuck with this series without him.

P.S. (view spoiler)

message 3: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (crushedbymytbr) | 28 comments 14. Ruin and Rising (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #3) by Leigh Bardugo

Trilogy complete. Yay, on to Six of Crows duology (Audible daily deals are my weakness... and kindle daily deals... and £1 books from the charity shop, this is not going well)

Huh... not sure how I feel about this book. The beginning really dragged, which is why I left it so long (too long, I was a bit lost as the opening scene is the conclusion to the situation they were in at the end of book 2).

3 stars?

Alina was bland, led around by the male characters. The ‘love interests’ bored me (to be fair, 2 wanted her power, not her heart).

I liked the ending - not how I expected it to go, and much better paced than the beginning. (view spoiler)

Overall, this felt like a padded out duology, split into roughly equal parts even though that meant the first 50 pages of the next book had to wrap up the previous rather than diving straight into the current plot.

Lauren Fortgang was a good narrator. I loved the cockiness of Nikolai, the coldness of the Darkling. I liked the accents, although I can’t comment on accuracy. I rarely confused the characters, only a couple of the outer circle.

message 4: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (crushedbymytbr) | 28 comments 15. Paper and Fire (The Great Library, #2) by Rachel Caine

Continuing the series. Wish I could get hold of the audiobook though.

4 stars

A tiny bit of second book slump. A lot going on but a bit repetitive - get into danger, get out of danger, run into new situation with no time to rest and reflect.

Plot relies a lot on convenient timing (Magic explains why people turn up when and where they do - but the Library never uses the same technique to find our heroes even when they are public enemy number one). But the story moved on a decent amount, got our cast back together ((view spoiler)) and in place for book 3.

I do love these characters, they are diverse but gel well as a friend group. Bit disbelieving of Jess’ gymnastics, but I guess danger of having your head bitten off gives you super springy speed.

message 5: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (crushedbymytbr) | 28 comments 16. The Dispatcher by John Scalzi

Had since shortly after release.

4 stars

The story was interesting, but I didn’t understand the main character’s motivations for getting involved.

The narration was very dialogue heavy, so unless you pay very close attention you’ll have no idea what anyone looks like.

message 6: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (crushedbymytbr) | 28 comments 17. Want To Play? (Monkeewrench #1) by P.J. Tracy

Technically a reread, but it must’ve been at least 10 years. I thought I remembered who the killer was, but no... Preparing for a series catchup.

3.5 stars

The story was interesting. Took a bit to tie some seemingly unrelated murders together, but apparently they are exact recreations of those in an unreleased point and click game created by our main characters. But in the background there’s another mystery of WHO are characters are. There are some problematic tropes and language, but given the time it was written that’s not unexpected.

I like (almost all) the characters in this book, they’re all so different, but work well together in a slightly disfunctional found family. I liked the cops too.

message 7: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (crushedbymytbr) | 28 comments 18. The Girl of Ink and Stars by Kiran Millwood Hargrave

Yay, one off my physical TBR :) Not that I’ll be getting rid of it, such a sweet story.

Given that it’s a children’s book, the plot was pretty simple, however I still have questions about what happened underground. Was that real, or a dream? There were pages and pages where not much happened, and then suddenly the plot proceeded at breakneck pace before screeching to a halt again.

message 8: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (crushedbymytbr) | 28 comments 19. When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon

Another off my kindle. Really I just read this so I can buy her next book.

3 stars

Pretty standard contemporary romance, which is a bit disappointing because I was expecting more. More emphasis on coding, more friction between the leads, just... more.

The plot was pretty simple, he knows about their arranged marriage, she doesn’t. He wants it, being a good Indian boy wanting a traditional family and stable job. She doesn’t, being an independent American woman with her future career in her sights. Neither truly changes for the other, but the compromises bring them closer in standard hate-to-love manner.

message 9: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (crushedbymytbr) | 28 comments 20. Obsidio (The Illuminae Files, #3) by Amie Kaufman

Finally finished the trilogy. Physical and audio read together.

3.5 stars

Not the best of the trilogy. Given how Illuminae ended, this book felt pretty low stakes. By this point there were too many people to follow, and the plot was all over the place (figuratively and literally).

Loved the audiobook, multicast was a good choice given how many POVs are involved, and the different narrators made the story whizz by.

message 10: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (crushedbymytbr) | 28 comments 21. Royals (Royals, #1) by Rachel Hawkins

3 stars

Oh, this could have been so much better. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but why set it in Scotland if you’re going to ignore all but the most cliched aspects.

How can Scotland have a royal family but still be part of the UK? Why are medical bills and school fees controlling factors? Scottish taxes pay for those...

The main character was slightly annoying, the love interest obvious - even before the fake dating. And so...much...tartan

Having said that, this gave me a very ‘Princess Diaries’ feel, made me smile, and I was never bored. Will definitely pick up the sequel.

message 11: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (crushedbymytbr) | 28 comments 22. Good Omens The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett

A long time shelf warmer. Very dated, but an enjoyable story nonetheless.

3.5 stars

Most of this book was above average. Funny in places, probably more so given I have been stuck in traffic on the godforsaken M25, glad to know that was no accident. However the middle dragged a bit and the end was annoyingly handwavy.

I loved the characters of Crowley and Azirephale. Both exceptionally proud of themselves, but ultimately fallible. The character of Adam, on the other hand, was boring. I don’t know if it was because the audiobook made him sound like an old man but he just seemed...meh.

message 12: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (crushedbymytbr) | 28 comments 23. Unearthed (Unearthed, #1) by Amie Kaufman

Indiana Jones in space? Yes please.

4 stars

This was both a romance and a quest story. Neither dominated. To start with I was disappointed in the ‘puzzles’ they had to solve, I thought they were far too simple, even for super smart teenagers, but that was explained away. I always wanted to know what was at the end of the journey, not what I was expecting.But that cliff hanger...

I loved this despite the instalove. The characters were so different from each other, but there wasn’t really anything special about them.

The audiobook was good. Both narrators nailed their characters. When it came to side characters though, they both treated them differently, which made it a little hard to follow.

message 13: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (crushedbymytbr) | 28 comments Oops. Completely forgot about this.

24. Maus I A Survivor's Tale My Father Bleeds History (Maus, #1) by Art Spiegelman

How do you rate something like this? 4 stars I guess.

I bought this ages ago in a library sale. To be honest, I had no clue what it was about, I just recognised the title. Picked it up because I needed a quick read to finish my OWLs readathon.

Story, understandably, made me sad. I likes the little bit of humour Spiegelman managed to insert. The story rambled a bit more than I would have liked, but it did give it that ’conversation’ feel.

The art style was... not ’cute’, but... sweet? I liked it. The Nazis as cats and the Jews as mice was apt.

message 14: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay good job!!!

message 15: by Bev (new)

Bev | 702 comments Mod
You were just zooming this year!

Image result for flag on the mountain top