Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

April - PEOPLE OF COLOUR > Review thread

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aly (new)

Aly (In Wonderland) (alysbookishwonderland) | 21 comments After you've finished your book(s), use this thread to write or post a link to your review below. A long story or just a few lines: by sharing your bookish thoughts, you help your fellow readers find a new great book (or leave a bad one alone)!

Please keep spoilers under spoiler tags! You can do this by typing < spoiler>SPOILER HERE< /spoiler> and removing the spaces. Thank you. ♥

message 2: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
I just finished The Last 8, a book about an alien race exterminating the entire human race aside from a handful of teenagers. It is up to them to figure out who the aliens are, what they want, and how to fight back. It has an incredibly strong, action-filled start, and the diversity rep is amazing. The MC is Latinx, and most of the side characters are also POC. Overall, I rate this 3/5.

message 3: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Inge wrote: "I just finished The Last 8, a book about an alien race exterminating the entire human race aside from a handful of teenagers. It is up to them to figure out who the aliens are, what..."

I had never heard of that book before, but your review makes me really intrigued! I will definitely keep my eye out for it Inge :D

message 4: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Apr 10, 2019 12:12PM) (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Here is my review for Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI. This is a fascinating true crime book, never too complicated, but it did make me gasp in shock and anger. When you think the murders can't get worse...

message 5: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Apr 17, 2019 04:43AM) (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Last week I finished A Very Large Expanse of Sea and wow, what an impressive book. The focus on the romance was a little too much for me, but I loved Shirin's honest voice about herself and the hatred Muslim received after 9/11. Here is my review, and definitely a book I would recommend.

message 6: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

I finished Radio Silence last night. At first, I was pretty underwhelmed, and wondering why it had such high reviews? I was even contemplating DNFing. But I'm glad I finished it, because it IS a beautiful book. The depression rep was amazing and made me feel... a lot of things. 3/5.

message 7: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
During Easter break I finally got the time to On the Come Up and damn, what a amazing book! Different power and energy than The Hate U Give - instead of police-shootings, this story is about hiphop - but it's just as compelling. Here is my review, and go go go read this book!

message 8: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Puck wrote: "During Easter break I finally got the time to On the Come Up and damn, what a amazing book! Different power and energy than The Hate U Give - instead of police-shootings, this story..."

Yes, I'm so glad that On the Come Up is getting the same amazing reviews as The Hate U Give! I hope Angie writes many more books ^_^

message 9: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

I finally read The Poppy War! Definitely an intimidating book, but I ended up reading it in little over a week. I actually read the final half in a day because my Netflix was laggy! Overall, a spectacular book. Really strong writer, complex character dynamics, amazing world-building... there is so much to love. 4/5.