Play Book Tag discussion

The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle
March 2019: Debut > The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, Stuart Turton, 2.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ (last edited Mar 29, 2019 05:03AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5014 comments The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton, 2.5 stars.
This is a clever, complex, and unusual new thriller that many people really love. A man is competing with others to solve a murder by inhabiting different bodies on different days to get clues. We don't know why he's there, or why he can't leave, or how they managed to get him in all these bodies. (I had a lot of theories about the last point, but it was never addressed.) I really liked the premise at first, and even when it got very confusing, I stayed with it because I like complex puzzles. There were a lot of twists and turns in both the mystery itself and in the process of the competition. Despite this, I just wasn't enjoying it. I held out for a great ending. The murder mystery ending was awful imo, but the ending of the competition story was more interesting.

I think my tastes have changed a lot. I used to be happy with a clever mystery, but now I'm more interesting in character development and a meaningful story.

Charlotte | 1493 comments I gave this one 3 stars... and if I were to rate it today I might even give it less. I thought it was clever and almost refreshing with the new take on how the main character interacted with story but it was almost too much. He hopped around bodies so much it was hard to get a feeling of who he was until almost the very end. I also thought because there was so much hopping around and back and forth in the story that it could be a bit confusing at times. I was frustrated by that more than anything.

message 3: by Susie (new) - added it

Susie | 4488 comments Ditto. I was intrigued by the premise to begin with, but by half way I was bored. I didn’t end up finishing.

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5014 comments Charlotte wrote: "I gave this one 3 stars... and if I were to rate it today I might even give it less. I thought it was clever and almost refreshing with the new take on how the main character interacted with story ..."

Yes, HE didn't even know who he really was. In terms of character development, I think my favorite part was that he slowly learned about his own values and true character only by feeling the differences between the hosts and himself.

message 5: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7255 comments Well that seals the deal for me-off the shelf it comes:

My mantra for this year:

Got no time for 3 star books-
I am waiting on some
For others to take a look🙄