Random Word Of The Month discussion

Random Word > RW for April 2019

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trevor (new)

Trevor (sundowner) | 56 comments My apologies for being a bit late with this, I am not spending a great deal of time online with my laptop, so rarely visit here at the moment.

April's word is 'Define'
The generator offered definition but I changed it to the verb which should be easier to find something that offers more book choices.

https://www.goodreads.com/search?utf8...

I hope you all have a lovely April and a Happy Easter holiday

message 2: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Wright | 44 comments April is a big month and I hope to find a good book this time! Will let you know what I come up with :)

message 3: by Niffer (new)

Niffer (acequimby) | 31 comments I've got Definitions of Indefinable Things in my TBR list, so I think I'm going to go with that.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 4: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Wright | 44 comments Niffer wrote: "I've got Definitions of Indefinable Things in my TBR list, so I think I'm going to go with that.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2..."

That looks interesting! Can't wait to hear what it ends up being like :)

message 5: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Wright | 44 comments So I picked up three books from the library. Reinventing You Define Your Brand, Imagine Your Future by Dorie Clark Reinventing You: Define Your Brand, Imagine Your Future, Defining Moments in Books The Greatest Books, Writers, Characters, Passages and Events That Shook the Literary World by Lucy Daniel Defining Moments in Books: The Greatest Books, Writers, Characters, Passages and Events That Shook the Literary World, and Daisy's Defining Day by Sandra V. Feder Daisy's Defining Day

I already have the Reinventing You one put back into the bag to be returned to the library. It was a very dry self help styled book and would never hold my attention. The Defining Moments looks like more of a who's who and why with short blurbs and large pictures (another one that most likely will not hold my attention much). Now hoping the Daisy book will be cute and short :)

message 6: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Wright | 44 comments So I did end up reading Daisy's Defining Day by Sandra V. Feder Daisy's Defining Day and it was short and cute with it's theme of rhyming words and what they mean, but I was a bit bored and don't plan on reading the rest of the series.

message 7: by Niffer (new)

Niffer (acequimby) | 31 comments I read Definitions of Indefinable Things. I was underwhelmed. My review:

I read three or four YA books right in a row before this one, all dealing with a female protagonist who had lost someone (a parent in most cases) and a male love interest who was described as weird or unattractive or unconventional in some way, so when I picked up this book and couldn't get into it, I thought it might just have been YA-overdose. I set it aside and read a couple other books, then picked it up again.

And realized at that point I just didn't like the book.

The main characters, Reggie and Snake, are really unlikeable. Reggie is nasty and insulting to everyone. Snake is aggressive and won't take no for an answer. The two of them are physically aggressive with each other--she hits him twice, he grabs her so she can't get away when he kisses her. Yes, there are some tender moments between the two of them, but abusive relationships very often include some tender moments--that's often one of the reasons the abused partner stays.

The only two characters worth anything in the book are Carla (the pregnant ex) and Polka (the friend Reggie doesn't realize she has). I actually got excited around page 115, because the story picked up a bit when Carla became more of a central character. But then she got shunted off to the side again for most of the rest of the book. And Polka just was neglected.

The entire book just felt formulated: Two main characters who grate on each other at the same time they're attracted to each other? Check. The "perfect" ex-girlfriend that the female protagonist knows she can't compete with (yet still manages to win the guy)? Check. The weird, under-appreciated best friend? Check. Oh yeah, and let's not forget the lesbian parents of the guy (and I think they might have been both POC--it wasn't clear to me if "blond afro" meant a black woman with blond hair or a blond woman with super curly hair), and the super conservative religious mother of the girl to provide loads of conflict, etc.

Once or twice the story almost redeemed itself, and I started to give it 3 stars. But my heart just wasn't with it and I ended up going with 2 stars.