Women of the World discussion

Book Talk > Monthly TBRs

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstyonbooks) | 427 comments Mod
I nearly always create monthly TBRs, but don't stick to them as well as I'd like to. I therefore thought that it would be a good idea to create a thread in which I, and anyone else who would like to, can keep track of each of their monthly TBRs, and cross off the books once they are completed.

Please feel free to include your monthly TBR post here every month if you'd like to.

message 2: by Carrie (new)

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 79 comments I make a text file on my computer of ones I'd like to get to each month but I tend to only read a handful off of it and then handful of others that call out to me, or library holds that finally come into me.

message 3: by Kirsty (new)

It's reassuring that it isn't just me who doesn't always get to every TBR book. I'm going to work on my April list later, and will try and post it soon.

message 4: by Kirsty (last edited May 01, 2019 03:48AM) (new)

My April TBR

- The Eye in the Door by Pat Barker
- Spring by Ali Smith
- The Vanishing Futurist by Charlotte Hobson
- Helpless by Barbara Gowdy
- Beloved by Toni Morrison
- Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
- One of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus
- On the Front Line with the Women Who Fight Back by Stacey Dooley
- The Map That Changed the World by Simon Winchester

message 5: by Carrie (new)

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 79 comments Did you enjoy Fangirl? I read it a few years back and I really liked it, Carry On is Simon Snow's story if you would like to visit his world.

message 6: by Kirsty (new)

I did really like it; much more than I was expecting to. I don’t think I’m going to read the Simon Snow stories though.

message 7: by Kirsty (new)

I've done quite well with my TBR this month; just two books left! I'm unsure as to whether I'll make a proper TBR for May. I want to try and get through my stack of physical to-read books over the next couple of months, and think I might just pick at random.

message 8: by Carrie (last edited Apr 24, 2019 07:46AM) (new)

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 79 comments I'm rather behind this month, but I'm doing better this month then I have in the past with my monthly completions. I think I need to scale them back a bit, because it's my own greedy self that hopes to read more then I can. Although distractions such as goodreads also hinder my reading. Life happens all the time, so I can't blame that, as one can not always control it. But I can control the amount of time I spend doing other things, like I said goodreads. I'm getting better at not just aimlessly adding books that I hope to read and spending my free time actually reading.

I miss reading at random. I feel like it's been awhile, perhaps as part of my monthly tbr I'll add a "random choice" and see which books calls to me each month. Could be a good way to slowly make my tbr lists smaller.

I wish you luck in your random selections :)

message 9: by Kirsty (new)

Thank you Carrie! I agree that Goodreads is highly distracting. I used to berate myself if I didn’t stick rigidly to my monthly TBR, but find that I’m more of a mood reader nowadays. I often find it useful to start with a pile of books, but don’t read them in order any more, as I once did. I hope you get in well with your random selection if you do introduce it into your TBR.

message 10: by Kirsty (last edited May 30, 2019 08:16AM) (new)

Despite the fact that I wasn't going to create a May TBR, there are a few books on my physical pile which I'd like to get to sooner rather than later. As with my April TBR, this is quite a short list, and I expect that I'll be able to get through all of them this month.

- Needlework by Deirdre Sullivan
- The Diviners by Margaret Laurence
- Clara by Janice Galloway
- Heroes by Stephen Fry
- The Beguiled by Thomas Cullinan
- Turning the Tide on Plastic by Lucy Siegle
- Leadon Hill by Richmal Crompton (Kindle)
- An American Marriage by Tayari Jones (Kindle)

message 11: by Kirsty (new)

I've only managed to read three books from my TBR so far this month; it's not looking likely that I'll complete my list. I have had a busy few weeks though, what with a holiday and a hospital stay, so hopefully I'll be able to catch up in June.

message 12: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (cloudbusting) Ooh hope you’re ok after your hospital stay, Kirsty!

message 13: by Kirsty (new)

I’m getting there thank you; just trying to rest as much as possible. Hope all is good with you!

message 14: by Kirsty (new)

I haven’t done that well with my May TBR, and can’t see myself completing it with a few busy days ahead. I’m not sure yet whether I’m going to make a June TBR; I might just mood read. I have 14 books left on my physical TBR to read, so I think something more positive would just be to get through as many of those as possible.

message 15: by Kirsty (last edited Jun 04, 2019 02:09AM) (new)

I thought that I would type out my physical TBR pile which I have with me at present, and see how many I can get through in the next month or so before I move.

- The Diviners by Margaret Laurence
- Clara by Janice Galloway
- Heroes by Stephen Fry
- The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann
- The Kraken Wakes by John Wyndham
- Those Who Walk Away by Patricia Highsmith
- The Testament of Gideon Mack by James Robertson
- Jigsaw by Sybille Bedford
- Brighton Rock by Graham Greene
- Now All Roads Lead to France by Matthew Hollis
- The Bone People by Keri Hulme
- The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco

message 16: by Carrie (new)

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 79 comments If you don't mind me asking but are you planing on giving away many of your books when you move? Is that why you are trying to only read your own tbr?

message 17: by Kirsty (last edited May 30, 2019 11:49AM) (new)

I’m not giving any of them away, but I’d just like to get through them before we move. I ideally only want to have 5 or so books on my physical TBR going forward, so that I can read things almost as soon as I buy them.

message 18: by Carrie (new)

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 79 comments Ok that makes sense. I would love to do that but I get carried away with my library requests. So I spend more time reading borrowed books then my own.

message 19: by Kirsty (new)

Yes, I was the same regarding my library usage! I made the conscious decision to stop visiting my local library a couple of months ago, and it's made a lot of difference. I'm going to be joining my new local library as soon as I can, so I'm hoping that my TBR will be down to a tiny number by then.