Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Book Clubs! > The Emperor's Edge Series [Aug 4, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Mar 29, 2019 03:39AM) (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4433 comments Mod
Series read for The Emperor's Edge.

(08/04) Emperor's Edge
(08/18) Dark Currents
(09/04) Deadly Games
(09/18) Conspiracy
(10/04) Blood and Betrayal
(10/18) Forged in Blood I
(11/04) Forged in Blood II
(11/18) Republic
(12/04) Diplomats and Fugitives

The Emperor's Edge (The Emperor's Edge, #1) by Lindsay Buroker Dark Currents (The Emperor's Edge, #2) by Lindsay Buroker Deadly Games (The Emperor's Edge, #3) by Lindsay Buroker Conspiracy (The Emperor's Edge, #4) by Lindsay Buroker Blood and Betrayal (The Emperor's Edge, #5) by Lindsay Buroker Forged in Blood I (The Emperor's Edge, #6) by Lindsay Buroker Forged in Blood II (The Emperor's Edge, #7) by Lindsay Buroker Republic (The Emperor's Edge, #8) by Lindsay Buroker Diplomats and Fugitives (The Emperor's Edge, #9) by Lindsay Buroker

message 2: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5103 comments Spot 🙂

message 3: by Sha (new)

Sha | 1522 comments Joining this one

message 4: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments I will be reading the first one at least, but I will be late since I have a middle grade and YA focused week next week ! (I might start it today and report here but I'm not sure)

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 1256 comments Spot. I have the first one, but I don't know whether I'll be able to continue with the series.

message 6: by Sha (new)

Sha | 1522 comments I finished that one faster than I thought.

I think Sespian was the only character I got emotionally attached to. I feel like the ensemble cast didn't have much to do except help the plot along, which is pretty unspectacular characterization-wise. Decent plot and writing, and it made me laugh a few times.

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 1256 comments Oh wow, Sha, yeah you sped right through it, didn't you? I hope it turns out to be a fast read for me as well. I'm running a bit behind, but maybe I can start tomorrow.

message 8: by Tammie (last edited Aug 06, 2019 03:37PM) (new)

Tammie | 3894 comments I'm supposed to read this but I haven't started it yet. I still haven't finished the last two books in her Starseers series and I want to get those done before I start this one. I will probably start this one some time this week but will wait to finish it.

message 9: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1456 comments I am seriously considering joining this buddy read - the story seems very interesting (a mystery in a fantasy/sci-fi book!) and it certainly help that there is an audiobook!

message 10: by Sha (new)

Sha | 1522 comments Melissa wrote: "Oh wow, Sha, yeah you sped right through it, didn't you? I hope it turns out to be a fast read for me as well. I'm running a bit behind, but maybe I can start tomorrow."

It actually didn't feel like that fast of a read- I felt like it took me a while to get through the second half in particular. There was a weird mix of things I liked and things which left me neutral in this book.

message 11: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1456 comments Sha wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Oh wow, Sha, yeah you sped right through it, didn't you? I hope it turns out to be a fast read for me as well. I'm running a bit behind, but maybe I can start tomorrow."

It actuall..."

I am glad to read about your experience!
I am around 40% in and I am not entirely sure how I feel about this book. I find the plot relatively interesting but rushed. I am not in love with the characters; I am neutral but, as the plot, I feel that they are rushed or maybe a bit too superficial. Yet, I like the tone, it seems refreshing and light.
I am curious to see if the story develops in a way that I might fall in love with the book. Yet, (view spoiler)

message 12: by Sha (new)

Sha | 1522 comments I don't think it's strictly (view spoiler)To be honest I'm not entirely sure what it is. There is a plot/character revelation at the end that intrigued me very much and made me want to know more. But that was probably the only part which made me go yes more.

It's not bad, per se. I like the tone too. But I agree with you- (view spoiler)

message 13: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3894 comments I'm just starting this, but will be slow because I'm working on 3 different books at the same time, something I don't normally do, but I wanted to get in on the buddy reads.

message 14: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1456 comments I just finished the book and I am not sure what to think about.
I liked the pace; I like that it was a light story, despite how gory it is.
I still feel that the story and the characters are rushed, not bad but a bit too superficial maybe. And there is no character development.

(view spoiler)

There are many things being hinted at in the larger world - I wonder what those are and how they are going to be developed. I will keep reading the series though - it is a quick and fun read but it is not comparable with many other high fantasy series. It is okay though.

message 15: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments Still haven't started it, I'm not feeling in the right mood for it right now unfortunatly...

message 16: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1456 comments I am starting book #2 today! I am quite excited to see things develop though.

The only thing I could not find is the specific thread for commenting on book#2, so I will continue here!

message 17: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1456 comments I am going to start book #3 tomorrow! Is anybody else continuing with this series?

I just realized that this is a guilty pleasure - let's see how many books it will last!

message 18: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14923 comments I might catch up and join...

message 19: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3894 comments Solseit wrote: "I am going to start book #3 tomorrow! Is anybody else continuing with this series?

I just realized that this is a guilty pleasure - let's see how many books it will last!"

I started book one but stopped because I have so many other books to read right now.

message 20: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14923 comments Tammie wrote: "Solseit wrote: "I am going to start book #3 tomorrow! Is anybody else continuing with this series?

I just realized that this is a guilty pleasure - let's see how many books it will last!"

I start..."

I looked into it some more, and it looks like I would have to buy all the books myself, and the audiobooks stop with book 5... I think this was Buroker's earliest work, and her newer series caught on more... so I'm going to put this off for now...

message 21: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1456 comments Thanks for letting me know Tammie and Iain!

I will keep reading as long as there is the audiobook - afterwards, it will be difficult for me to focusing on this; I already am challenged with the few non-audiobook I am reading!

message 22: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3894 comments She does have other newer series that look good to me. I would like to read them when I have the time.

message 23: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14923 comments Tammie wrote: "She does have other newer series that look good to me. I would like to read them when I have the time."

I picked up one of the trilogy omnibuses on Audible/Whispersync, back when we were still loving Fallen Empire...

message 24: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3894 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Tammie wrote: "She does have other newer series that look good to me. I would like to read them when I have the time."

I picked up one of the trilogy omnibuses on Audible/Whispersync, back when we..."

I picked up a few of them too. Mainly the first in series ones that were free.