Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Wonder (Wonder, #1)
This topic is about Wonder
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Wonder [Apr 1, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
Wonder - R.J. Palacio
Wonder by R.J. Palacio
April 1, 2019.

Robin P | 71 comments Thank you, Jenna! :)

Aakash (aakashthedreamer) | 423 comments I just saw this in an article of best books to read on some website so I am gonna join in this BR.

message 4: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
Paritoshika wrote: "Thank you, Jenna! :)"

You're welcome! Enjoy the book :)

Robin P | 71 comments Alright! So we start this today!

Robin P | 71 comments Aakash wrote: "I just saw this in an article of best books to read on some website so I am gonna join in this BR."

Please do!

Aakash (aakashthedreamer) | 423 comments Of course. I am gonna start this in the afternoon.

Aakash (aakashthedreamer) | 423 comments Read ‘Paging with Mr. Tushman. Its really funny in the starting.
(view spoiler)

Saar The Book owl | 2011 comments Checking in and starting in a couple of minutes :)

Saar The Book owl | 2011 comments @Aakash: I totally agree with your post. (view spoiler)
Did anyone see the movie? I haven't. So far, the writing style is really enjoyable and makes you able to read at a managable pace.

message 12: by Saar The Book owl (last edited Apr 01, 2019 12:20PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Saar The Book owl | 2011 comments Chapter 'Choose kind': (view spoiler)

Robin P | 71 comments On page 18.
You know, this book reminds me of Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper l. In that book too there is a 10 year old girl who has Cerebral Palsy. What an amazing book it is! And Wonder reminds me of it. I like Nate. I always like books where the father has a warm, supportive role in his kids' lives like in All The Light We Cannot See or To Kill a Mockingbird...

message 14: by Robin P (last edited Apr 01, 2019 02:40PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Robin P | 71 comments Page 35. (view spoiler)

Robin P | 71 comments Saar The Book owl wrote: "@Aakash: I totally agree with your post. [spoilers removed]
Did anyone see the movie? I haven't. So far, the writing style is really enjoyable and makes you able to read at a managable pace."

I agree on the writing style part. Simple and easy to follow through.

Aakash (aakashthedreamer) | 423 comments Saar The Book owl wrote: "@Aakash: I totally agree with your post. [spoilers removed]
Did anyone see the movie? I haven't. So far, the writing style is really enjoyable and makes you able to read at a managable pace."

I haven't seen the movie but I will after reading this. About the style of writing I agree with you. The format is simple and unique. I am having very fun while reading this.

Aakash (aakashthedreamer) | 423 comments Saar The Book owl wrote: "Chapter 'Choose kind': I wish there were more teachers like Mr. Browne. I've got the feeling that he'll make school a bit easier for August.
That 'Darth Sidious' joke of Julian was totally under t..."

I totally agree with you. (view spoiler)

Aakash (aakashthedreamer) | 423 comments ‘Padawan’
(view spoiler)

Saar The Book owl | 2011 comments @Paritoshka: I haven't heard of the book of Draper, but I've added it. Yes, I like both of the parents. There just amazing.
About pag. 35: no apologises needed ;) We tend to fuss about litltle things, but then you have kids like August, who have a lot of other, more important worries and yet he is so brave.

@Aakash: I hope that (view spoiler)

I'm now at chapter 'Major Tom'. I like the way that the book is divided in parts, so you get different insights. Now it's Via's turn to talk and I understand where she is coming from. (view spoiler)

Aakash (aakashthedreamer) | 423 comments Saar The Book owl wrote: "@Paritoshka: I haven't heard of the book of Draper, but I've added it. Yes, I like both of the parents. There just amazing.
About pag. 35: no apologises needed ;) We tend to fuss about litltle thin..."

Just completed part 1.
(view spoiler)

Saar The Book owl | 2011 comments @Aakash: that shows how mean kids can be. They are not like adults and sometimes do not think before speaking. About the suicide thing: in real life this is happening too. So, this part makes it actual for real life that kids can make other kids commit suicide due to their comments. (view spoiler)

Saar The Book owl | 2011 comments Finished Part 3: Summer.
(view spoiler)

Saar The Book owl | 2011 comments I've started Part 4: Jack, but before I read on, there's a little thought coming in my head. Remember when (if you are at that point)(view spoiler)

Robin P | 71 comments Aakash wrote: "Saar The Book owl wrote: "Chapter 'Choose kind': I wish there were more teachers like Mr. Browne. I've got the feeling that he'll make school a bit easier for August.
That 'Darth Sidious' joke of ..."

Well, it turns out that Jack is a devil in disguise too... I felt so bad for August that time...I mean one of the things that students at primary and middle schools should be taught is to behave properly with people who have such disabilities...to see them like one of us and to empathise with them. I guess social studies and science and maths are not enough to make everyone civilised...or for that matter even humane. These things should be taught not only at school but also at home. I was so mad at Jack for upsetting August like that...or even ditching him like that. It's worse. Fake sympathy.

Robin P | 71 comments Page 102 . (view spoiler)

Robin P | 71 comments Saar The Book owl wrote: "@Paritoshka: I haven't heard of the book of Draper, but I've added it. Yes, I like both of the parents. There just amazing.
About pag. 35: no apologises needed ;) We tend to fuss about litltle thin..."

I agree.

Aakash (aakashthedreamer) | 423 comments Does anyone know what Isabel meant when she said something like, “Hope apple doesn't fall far from tree. ” I didn't get it.

Aakash (aakashthedreamer) | 423 comments Yay! Completed the book. It was really brilliant book and I enjoyed it very much. I never thought I would like any book which isn't in fantasy genre but I did.

(view spoiler)

Robin P | 71 comments Aakash wrote: "Does anyone know what Isabel meant when she said something like, “Hope apple doesn't fall far from tree. ” I didn't get it."

Yeah. Well, Julian is a snotty, little ass and he takes pleasure in deriding August... Also, August sent a birthday invitation to many of his friends. Everyone replied except for Julian's mother. She didn't even bother to inform Isabel that her son (Julian) wouldn't attend the part because of xyz reason. So, Isabel remarked " Apple doesnt fall far from the tree" that is like mother like son. It's an expression she used to highlight their disdain and snob.

Aakash (aakashthedreamer) | 423 comments Oh! Thanks.

Saar The Book owl | 2011 comments Normally finishing late this evening. Still 20 pages to go or it will be tomorrow. Have to finish my late shift at work now.

Saar The Book owl | 2011 comments I'm glad I've read this book and I have no need to see the movie, because I want to hold on to the story in the book.
August is such a brave, little dude, who grows from a home schooled, shy boy to a little hero who has gotten to learn to stand his ground.
I don't know why, but I was a bit proud of him when he went from the 'deformed boy' to the 'boy who happened to be deformed'. August learns that he is more than his dissability, that he has the right to live a life just like the other kids too, even it's more of a struggle for him.
I liked the way the author connected the quotes on the different parts with the chapters. The different points of view from each character was also a bonus. It gives a great insight how the others characters deal with it.
A heartwarming story about friendship, family, growing and trust.

Aakash (aakashthedreamer) | 423 comments Totally agree. I watched the movie in the morning, it is not very different from the book so not seeing movie won't change anything.

message 34: by Robin P (last edited Apr 05, 2019 08:30PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Robin P | 71 comments Hey you guys! You finished it! I am sorry i was absent for this long...it's just that the past 2 days were very hectic for me...
Page 147
Well, I am glad that August has Summer at least. I really like her character. Sweet, understanding, amd way mature than kids of her age. Only if everyone could have those qualities.

And I read about the Plague.....it's awful. So so awful. Sometimes, when i read about such stuff, it horrifies me to even think that Humans can be so insensitive.... and i dont blame people for getting taken aback on seeing August....anyone would be....but this Plague is too much... I

I really like how this book has been told from so many different perspectives. Even with multiple narrators, the author has successfully managed to balance and divide the content fairly. He has made sure that it didnt come at the cost of character development. I am a bit overwhelmed......reading this makes me sad...But I really like how August puts up with everything.

Saar The Book owl | 2011 comments The Plague reminds me of a little game we used to play as kids, but not so bad as this. Kids just can be cruel. I think that they don't keep in their mind the consequences of bullying and the impact that it has.
I agree on your vision of multiple perspectives. it was not hard to follow at all.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Wonder (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

R.J. Palacio (other topics)