Bailey's/Orange Women's Fiction Group discussion

Freshwater
This topic is about Freshwater
2019 Book of the Month > April 2019 Freshwater

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tasha The cover is so beautiful. I have the book here (library book) and will get it started shortly. Looking forward to it and joining you all for the 2019 list reads. :)

message 3: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen | 114 comments I've got my copy and will start this weekend. High expectations for this one!

Tasha I started Freshwater last night and it's interesting so far. Not sure what to think of it yet. I got up through chapter 4 but need to break for the week as I'm involved in a readathon going on this week. I will get back to it next week. I love the cover though, so pretty.

message 5: by Val (new) - rated it 4 stars

Val I was impressed by this book when I read it as pure fiction, but finding out that it was autobiographical added a new dimension. At the moment I am not sure what I think about that, other than that if this identification works for her then it is at least as useful as any other.

Tasha I didn't know that is was autobiographical. That will put an interesting spin on things and being still at the start, I can't even imagine where this is going to go. lol

Tasha I'm only 25% in but my gosh, the writing is beautiful. I'm absolutely loving it. It helps so much knowing now that it is autobiographical and watching Storm and Smoke develop is truly fascinating. If this continue this way, this will be on my 'best of' list.

Tasha I am fascinated by this story and the writing is wonderful. I'm still reading it, not even halfway in yet and it's just so good. I hope it makes it to the shortlist.

message 9: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen | 114 comments It took me a few days to get into this, but once I hit 25% I was hooked. I found the language and story completely absorbing, I can't think of another book quite like it. I won't say anything about the story itself until others have finished. I hope you enjoy as much as I did.

It's tough with a debut like this - one so personal / autobiographical, and where you feel their whole being is poured into it - to wonder where the author can go from here and live up to expectations. I'm looking forward to their next novel which I read the author is working on now. They have a YA book out this fall which sounds pretty intense and perhaps grounded in the same autobiographical material.

message 10: by Tasha (last edited Apr 09, 2019 04:31AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tasha I see that you and Val both rated it 5 stars. I'm halfway through and on the way to a 5 star read for me as well. I should finish it soon but I'm finding I don't want to rush through it, I don't want to miss anything. lol

message 11: by Tasha (last edited Apr 13, 2019 06:27AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tasha I finished and here is my review:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I definitely enjoyed it, 4.5⭐. Not a full 5 as I had a little disconnect from the book about 2/3rds in but overall a really amazing debut. I think it will get listed on the shortlist.

message 12: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen | 114 comments tasha wrote: "I finished and here is my review:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I definitely enjoyed it, 4.5⭐. Not a full 5 as I had a little disconnect from the book about 2/3rds in but overa..."

Thanks for posting, tasha. I was very enthusiastic about this one but I too felt a slight disconnect in the latter part of the book so I appreciated you noting this. It was a minor flaw for me, but I was aware of it.

Tasha Oh good, it's not just me then either. I thought it started off so strong and ended really well, just something in between bugged me or was off or something. Otherwise, such an interesting read! I see she is coming out with a YA book later this year. It will be interesting to see how that one goes following this story.

Jessica Haider (jessicahaider) | 155 comments Mod
I’ve just started this today. I’m only on chapter 1 but I can already tell that it’s going to be a unique read.

Tasha It really is an interesting, unique read.

Lagullande | 76 comments Jessica wrote: "I’ve just started this today. I’m only on chapter 1 but I can already tell that it’s going to be a unique read."

I'm with you, Jessica. I started today too.

Lagullande | 76 comments Jessica wrote: "I’ve just started this today. I’m only on chapter 1 but I can already tell that it’s going to be a unique read."

How are you finding this one, Jessica?

I thought it was really interesting when I started, but I'm just past the arrival of Saint Vincent and am feeling like nothing much has moved on.

Jessica Haider (jessicahaider) | 155 comments Mod
I finished it a couple of days ago. I rated it 4 out of 5. I liked the beginning and the end. However, there were parts in the middle that didn't quite do it for me. I went through a period of fascination with split/multiple personality tales in high school & college so this was an interesting spin on that.

The writing was definitely beautiful and engaging.

Lagullande | 76 comments Jessica wrote: "I finished it a couple of days ago. I rated it 4 out of 5. I liked the beginning and the end. However, there were parts in the middle that didn't quite do it for me. I went through a period of fasc..."

So it sounds as though as several people have had trouble with the middle. I really don't want to be critical as the book is autobiographical and who am I to comment on someone's experience so different from my own? So I will just carry on to the end and hope that I also find that part rewarding.

message 20: by Val (new) - rated it 4 stars

Val I thought this one might make the shortlist. It is different to anything I have read before and an unusual take on split personality.
It does perhaps get a bit lost in the middle section, but I really liked it.

Tasha I thought it would as well. Maybe the middle part didn't work for the judges either.

message 22: by Penny (new) - added it

Penny | 680 comments Mod
I ve almost finished this. I have struggled with the whole multiple personalities narrative as there is so much descriptive writing I find that I want more things to actually happen rather than another battle between the spirits. It is undeniably original and informative - this woman can write!

Tasha I agree, she is really very good at her craft.

message 24: by Val (new) - rated it 4 stars

Val A Goodreads friend in another group I belong to said that he liked this prize because the list always included a range of books from the experimental to the more popular. Freshwater is definitely at the experimental or challenging end of the range, while My Sister, the Serial Killer and our August book, Normal People, are at the popular end and Circe somewhere in between.