Reading Women discussion

RWC 2019 - Personal Challenges > Ella's RWC 2019 - Complete!

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ella (last edited Nov 20, 2019 08:08AM) (new)

Ella (ellamc) Ella's Challenge COMPLETE!

When I complete one of the prompts, I will add the cover & author's photo.

✔ 1) A mystery or thriller written by a woman of color American Spy by Lauren Wilkinson
American Spy by Lauren Wilkinson by Lauren Wilkinson

✔ 2) A book about a woman with a mental illness -- The Trick Is To Keep Breathing by Janice Galloway
The Trick Is To Keep Breathing by Janice Galloway by Janice Galloway
I loved this book so very much - suggest it to anyone who wants to read a realistic portrayal of mental illness and post-traumatic grief.

✔ 3) A book by an author from Nigeria or New Zealand My Sister, the Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite
My Sister, the Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite by Oyinkan Braithwaite

✔ 4) A book about or set in Appalachia Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver
Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver by Barbara Kingsolver

✔ 5) A children's book: The Giver by Lois Lowry
The Giver (The Giver, #1) by Lois Lowry by Lois Lowry

✔ 6) A multigenerational family saga -- Gingerbread by Helen Oyeyemi
Gingerbread by Helen Oyeyemi by Helen Oyeyemi

✔ 7) A book featuring a woman in science -- The Other Einstein by Marie Benedict
The Other Einstein by Marie Benedict by Marie Benedict

✔ 8) A play A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry
A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry by Lorraine Hansberry

✔ 9) A novella Territory of Light by Yūko Tsushima
Territory of Light by Yūko Tsushima by Yūko Tsushima

✔ 10) A book about a woman athlete -- The National Team: The Inside Story of the Women who Changed Soccer by Caitlin Murray
The National Team The Inside Story of the Women who Changed Soccer by Caitlin Murray

✔ 11) A book featuring a religion other than your own -- Women Talking by Miriam Toews
Women Talking by Miriam Toews by Miriam Toews

✔ 12) A Lambda Literary Award winner -- Disoriental by Négar Djavadi
Disoriental by Négar Djavadi by Négar Djavadi

✔ 13) A myth retelling -- The Silence of the Girls by Pat Barker
The Silence of the Girls by Pat Barker by Pat Barker

✔ 14) A translated book published before 1945 -- Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset (It's a trilogy, and the first book was first published in 1920)
Kristin Lavransdatter (Kristin Lavransdatter, #1-3) by Sigrid Undset by Sigrid Undset

✔ 15) A book written by a South Asian author - OK, I reread The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy and I liked it so much I just borrowed The Ministry of Utmost Happiness as well.
The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy & The Ministry of Utmost Happiness by Arundhati Roy by Arundhati Roy

✔ 16) A book by an Indigenous woman Heart Berries by Terese Marie Mailhot was one of the first books I read this year.
Heart Berries by Terese Marie Mailhot by Terese Marie Mailhot

✔ 17) A book from the 2018 Reading Women Award shortlist:
A Place for Us by Fatima Farheen Mirza
A Place for Us by Fatima Farheen Mirza by Fatima Farheen Mirza
and, since it was my original plan and also some nonfiction: I Am, I Am, I Am: Seventeen Brushes with Death by Maggie O'Farrell
I Am, I Am, I Am Seventeen Brushes with Death by Maggie O'Farrell by Maggie O'Farrell
(If you're choosing, pick A Place for Us)

✔ 18) A romance or love story -- The Other Americans by Laila Lalami
The Other Americans by Laila Lalami by Laila Lalami

✔ 19) A book about nature -- H is for Hawk by Helen Macdonald
H is for Hawk by Helen Macdonald by Helen Macdonald

✔ 20) A historical fiction book -- Fire in the Blood by Irène Némirovsky, Sandra Smith (Translator) -- the story of how this book ended up being published is almost as good as the book itself, and as sad.
Fire in the Blood by Irène Némirovsky by Irène Némirovsky

✔ 21) A book you bought or borrowed in 2019 Normal People by Sally Rooney
Normal People by Sally Rooney by Sally Rooney

✔ 22) A book you picked up because of the cover Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1) by Margaret Atwood Margaret Atwood

✔ 23) Any book from a series - See #22 for Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood. I really liked it, so I read the whole trilogy:
The Year of the Flood (MaddAddam, #2) by Margaret Atwood Margaret Atwood MaddAddam (MaddAddam, #3) by Margaret Atwood

✔ 24) A young adult book by a woman of color - Another Brooklyn by Jacqueline Woodson
Another Brooklyn by Jacqueline Woodson by Jacqueline Woodson

BONUS:

✔ 25) A book by Jesmyn Ward -- Where the Line Bleeds
Where the Line Bleeds by Jesmyn Ward by Jesmyn Ward

✔ 26) A book by Jhumpa Lahiri -- Finally read & returned the copy of Interpreter of Maladies I borrowed ages ago. Thanks for getting me to do that!
Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri by Jhumpa Lahiri

My other Reading Women challenge
These are on their own shelf: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...
I want to read the 16 books on the 2019 Women's Prize for Fiction Longlist. Some of them double for the prompts in this challenge.

✔ in 2019 The Silence of the Girls by Pat Barker The Silence of the Girls by Pat Barker Pat Barker

✔ in 2019 Remembered by Yvonne Battle-Felton Remembered by Yvonne Battle-Felton

✔ in 2019 My Sister, the Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite My Sister, the Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite Oyinkan Braithwaite

✔ in 2019 The Pisces by Melissa Broder The Pisces by Melissa Broder Melissa Broder

✔ in 2019 Milkman by Anna Burns Milkman by Anna Burns Anna Burns

✔ in 2018 Freshwater by Akwaeke Emezi Freshwater by Akwaeke Emezi Akwaeke Emezi

✔ in 2019 Ordinary People by Diana Evans Ordinary People by Diana Evans Diana Evans

✔ in 2019 Swan Song by Kelleigh Greenberg-Jephcott Swan Song by Kelleigh Greenberg-Jephcott Kelleigh Greenberg-Jephcott

✔ in 2018 An American Marriage by Tayari Jones An American Marriage by Tayari Jones Tayari Jones

✔ in 2019 Number One Chinese Restaurant by Lillian Li Number One Chinese Restaurant by Lillian Li Lillian Li

✔ in 2019 Bottled Goods by Sophie van Llewyn Bottled Goods by Sophie van Llewyn Sophie van Llewyn

✔ in 2019 Lost Children Archive by Valeria Luiselli Lost Children Archive by Valeria Luiselli Valeria Luiselli

✔ in 2019 Praise Song for the Butterflies by Bernice L. McFadden Praise Song for the Butterflies by Bernice L. McFadden Bernice L. McFadden

✔ in 2019 Circe by Madeline Miller Circe by Madeline Miller Madeline Miller

✔ in 2019 Ghost Wall by Sarah Moss Ghost Wall by Sarah Moss Sarah Moss

✔ in 2019 Normal People by Sally Rooney Normal People by Sally Rooney Sally Rooney

message 2: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 139 comments Hi Ella! I was delighted to see that you are reading the Women's Prize for Fiction nominees as it is one of my favorite book awards. So far this year I've read 9 books from the prize lists (though none from the 2019 list). Good luck with your challenge!

message 3: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamc) dalex wrote: "Hi Ella! I was delighted to see that you are reading the Women's Prize for Fiction nominees as it is one of my favorite book awards. So far this year I've read 9 books from the prize lists..."

Hi dalex: I too have become very fond of the Women's Prize. I think they do a really good job of having a balanced list. It's never "oh, that's obviously a women's prize book" sort of thing. (To be fair, some of the awards are doing better with this.) I have really been trying to make sure I read at least 50% women and 50% authors of color, but I'm also always trying to catch up on classics I missed as a younger me. Those classics are inevitably a bunch of white men. I'm really glad the prizes are doing better on inclusion, but again - work needs to be done. The Women's Prize seems a good choice if I want to read a whole list (especially b/c it's a reasonable size!)

message 4: by Ella (last edited May 26, 2019 05:03AM) (new)

Ella (ellamc) a place for making notes to myself:

The Secret Garden for the children's/middle grade challenge seems about right.

Flight Behavior for a book about or set in Appalachia, I think. -- I wanted to read The Unquiet Earth but my library doesn't have it and my book budget doesn't allow for purchasing it.

I've got Good Morning, Midnight here for the book about mental illness (but I actually thought it was about alcoholism, so I do need to check this, but I saw it noted in the thread here, so it's probably fine. I'm pretty sure I have many books that fit this, so I just need to settle on one.) Also noted in that thread is All My Puny Sorrows by Miriam Toews, which I do want to read as well. I've already got one planned by Miriam Toews though. (Edit in May - since writing this I've noticed I have like 50 books that all meet this prompt on my TBR. Not sure why my brain is so dull.)

Also - What Lies Between Us I OWN & have not read yet (plus I think I bought it b/c of the cover, maybe - not sure) Meets the West Asia prompt.

message 5: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamc) Hmm -- being released in April is Descendant of the Crane by Joan He -- that's a contender for the YA if I don't find one already on my TBR

message 6: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamc) Well, I grudgingly read The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan, and only just now did I get a bit less upset by the time spent b/c it fulfills 18) A romance or love story -- DONE!

message 7: by Ella (last edited May 26, 2019 01:53PM) (new)

Ella (ellamc) OK - I still need ideas for or am looking for options on:

- A book about an athlete (preferably not a memoir - I'm overloaded on those at the moment)
✔ got one - a book about a woman with a mental illness
- A book featuring a woman in science
✔ got one - A play
- A Lambda Literary Award winner
- A book about nature

I need to at least have some choices, since I won't trip over these like I do with romances and historical novels.

message 8: by Helen (new)

Helen | 9 comments Reading where the crawdads song for the nature prompt- it was on special in the supermarket

message 9: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 139 comments Ella wrote: "OK - I still need ideas for or am looking for options on...."

- A book about an athlete
The Fair Fight by Anna Freeman, about a female boxer in the 18th century. I LOVED this book!

- a book about a woman with a mental illness
For the challenge I read The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell. It was quite good. Some others I would recommend: The Drowning Girl, Astonishing Splashes of Colour, Affinity, Carry Me Down, and The Other Side of You.

- A play
I never read plays so I was surprised how much I enjoyed Ruined by Lynn Nottage, which won the Pulitzer. It's a pretty grim and bleak story but the author's ability to say so much with so few words is really
powerful.

message 10: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamc) Oh - such a good idea to search the pulitzer list (and others) for stuff like plays! I shall try the one you read, dalex, since I love a grim bleak story ;) I'm not much on reading plays, but I shall try!

You mentioned Maggie O'Farrell -- and I have her I Am, I Am, I Am: Seventeen Brushes with Death listed for another prompt, but I shall peruse. I'm positive I have like 100 books on my TBR about women and mental illness b/c it's an "interest" of mine. I need to settle down.

I will try to find a copy of The Fair Fight - my library doesn't seem to have a copy, but I'll try ILL.

Helen - your idea is BRILLIANT - I am already on the library waiting list. Here's hoping I can get it before the year is over :D

Thanks ladies!

And I just realized I never got around to reading Hidden Figures, so I'll add that one as another option for the women in science prompt.

I found an article last night, while looking for fiction about women in sports, about the dearth of literature involving women in sports - so that's sad.

Thanks again, to you both!

message 11: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamc) Well it took me nearly the full year, but I finally finished all the books I set out to read. Now I need to make sure they're on the proper shelf. But the point: COMPLETED!