Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Redemption Point (Crimson Lake, #2)
This topic is about Redemption Point
Group Read - Redemption Point > Group Read - Redemption Point ch 39-57 End Spoilers Welcome

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14211 comments This topic is to discuss chapters 39-57 to the end plus the Epilogue of Redemption Point
Spoilers welcome.
What did you think of the book? If the first to post please briefly summarize to guide the discussion.

message 2: by Geri (last edited Apr 01, 2019 06:05PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 305 comments Chapter 39

Amanda and Sweeney go back to bar. Sweeney thinks about telling Amanda what happened to her dad. Amanda tells her to do penance and then just move on. They see a possum and feed the animal a nut.

Chapter 40

Ted watches interview. The accusation was not part of the show or on website.

Dale ruminates over how good of a dad he is.

Chapter 41

Ted the day after interview. He needs something to do so volunteers to help on the Bell case. Ted calls Amanda. She ends up back at Barking Frog. She realizes Andrew saw something through a gap in the back fence. She gets hit on the head.

Chapter 42

Melanie will be going through with her accusation. Ted reads interview with Melanie. He denies everything she says. Elise arrives and tells Ted that Melanie lied. Melanie was a bit mentally unstable. Sean says they will be suing.

Chapter 43

The men that hit Amanda discuss what to do with her.

Chapter 44

Kevin excited to meet Ted. He goes to hotel.

Chapter 45

Ted reads about retraction of accusations by Melanie. Ted sees a young man and he gets an odd feeling. Kevin introduces himself to Ted. Fabiana arrives.

Chapter 46

Amanda with her attackers, Jay and Bran. Amanda recounts how things must have happened. Andrew had likely seen Jay and Bran murder Victoria Songly. The renovation noise was Jay and Bran searching for something. Amanda says she knows what they are looking for and where to find it.

Chapter 47

Kevin at Ted’s interview. He ruminates over how he has gotten away with his crime. He decides he has to speak with Ted again.

Chapter 48

Ted at Innocent Ted session. Kevin interrupts a talk between Ted and an old man. Kevin shows Ted a picture of Penny on his phone. He says it’s his sister. Ted is sick in car going to airport. He realizes Kevin knew white dog would need fixing up after it went to shelter. He is certain now who Kevin is.

Chapter 49

Amanda confirms Jay and Bran are searching for money. She tells them she knows they met in prison, not brothers.

Chapter 50

Ted searches for details about Kevin. Ted learns about car rebadging. He realizes the car they are looking for is blue.

Chapter 51

Sweeney searches for Amanda. Sweeney hears a scuffle in a house and knocks.

Chapter 52

Ted calls Chloe identifying himself as police. Chloe confirms her previous car was blue. And Kevin’s last name is Driscoll. Ted asks about Penny and is told Kevin does not have a sister.

Chapter 53

Amanda in fight with Jay and Bran. Sweeney gets shot as she intervenes.

Chapter 54

Chloe confirms Kevin had struck up a friendship with a little girl next door. Ted is in a rage over the situation and thinks about killing Kevin. Ted checks on Penny. Police at house. Kevin had barged into their house and demanded to talk to Penny. Linda and Sharon are after Kevin now that they know his name. Police kicked Ted out of house. He figures out a car nearby is Kevin’s car. Khalid calls and gives Ted an address.

Chapter 55

Amanda continues to fight off Jay and Bran. One man is unconscious another one dying. Sirens are heard. Amanda kisses Sweeney before she dies.

Chapter 56

Ted arrives at address. Kevin has been beaten. Dale is there. Ted realizes his rage is gone. He tries to stop Dale, who has a gun. Ted tells them he needs Kevin alive. Dale shoots Kevin.

Chapter 57

Amanda goes to fish pond. That is where the money was hidden by Tom Songly.

Epilogue

Ted visits the white dog. He buys the dog and takes it with him. Dog howls/sings to Celine Dion so Ted names the dog Celine. Amanda shows up. She has begun to heal. Kevin’s body was found with Dale there, no gun. Dale was arrested. Kevin’s diary was found. Kelly asked for Ted to come back home. Amanda and Ted talk about Sweeney’s death. Local cops will be angry about that. Ted confirms he will not be going back to Sydney.

message 3: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14211 comments Geri: thanks for the summaries. This last segment was sure jam packed. The various threads were tied up and closed, but I missed the solo focus of the first book and here having Amanda and Ted each face a life and death crisis alone was attention dividing.
I was saddened by the death of Pip Sweeney. I don't knowhow she would have fit in afterwards, but hated to lose her character and the potential redemption for her and possible relationship with Amanda. Her penance was harsh and final. I guess Ted's and Amanda's (and Dale's and Kevn's) were harsh too.
The redemption points are not happy endings, but at least for Ted and his geese, and Amanda and the life she has managed to wrestle together -- it goes on, and they each have the other. The dog Celine's rescue by Ted is a lighter, and nice touch.

Geri | 305 comments Ann wrote: "Geri: thanks for the summaries. This last segment was sure jam packed. The various threads were tied up and closed, but I missed the solo focus of the first book and here having Amanda and Ted each..."

I also wish Sweeney had survived. I think she could have brought another dimension to the team. But now Ted and Amanda will likely be together in the next book. But the local police will probably have an axe to grind. So I am very curious about what direction book 3 will take.

Ted deciding not to go back to Kelly was interesting. I don’t blame him for not being able to totally forgive her. I do think he is better off with Amanda and his geese, and now Celine.

The resolution of the Bell case was done well, I thought. It was exciting, even though it led to Sweeney’s death.

I agree, many people got their redemption in this book. The new allegation worried me but I was happy when it got resolved. For me, the main question is, what will Ted’s life be like now? For so long he has been thought to be the one who attacked Claire. I will definitely read the next book!

Barbara K | 408 comments Geri wrote: "Ted deciding not to go back to Kelly was interesting. I don’t blame him for not being able to totally forgive her."

I think forgiveness is part of it, but I got the sense that to Ted, Kelly was part of a past he had to leave behind. What he’d been through was transformative (to fall back on a currently overused, but I think in this context appropriate, word). He could never be that person again, and his new self was better suited to the possibilities presented by his life in Crimson Lake.

I hadn’t thought about the local police blaming Ted and Amanda for the loss of Sweeney, but it’s a logical development. A sort of base level tension for the next book.

Geri | 305 comments Barbara wrote: "Geri wrote: "Ted deciding not to go back to Kelly was interesting. I don’t blame him for not being able to totally forgive her."

I think forgiveness is part of it, but I got the sense that to Ted,..."

I can totally understand that Ted would want to distance himself from his past. Although, that will be difficult. His life has changed because of the allegations and will likely follow him forever. Yes, I do think the police will continue to be a problem for Amanda and Ted. They will likely still be on the outside looking in as far as the town is concerned.

message 7: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14211 comments Geri and Barbara: I think forgiveness was a factor, but at arms length. It seems to me that it was the distance and isolation of prison that - yes, transformed is a good word.... that transformed Ted into a new man who was no longer Kelly's husband.
And it was like forgiveness in a way to release Kelly when Ted told her he couldn't come back to their marriage.
This aspect of the book fascinated me - the question of what would I do in this terrible situation arose often and from each character - Pip Sweeney, Dale, even Amanda each have moments of realizing the situations they found themselves in were not places allowing them to ever return to "before".
Geri wrote: "Ted deciding not to go back to Kelly was interesting. I don’t blame him for not being able to totally forgive her."

Barbara wrote: "I think forgiveness is part of it, but I got the sense that to Ted, Kelly was part of a past he had to leave behind. What he’d been through was transformative (to fall back on a currently overused, but I think in this context appropriate, word). He could never be that person again, and his new self was better suited to the possibilities presented by his life in Crimson Lake.

..."

message 8: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14211 comments Geri and Barbara: Agreed, the resolution with Kevin and Dale in this book probably won't solve or improve anything with the police. Ted's former co-workers are unlikely to embrace him again and there, unlike with Kelly it seems unfair to expect Ted to forgive them except for perhaps Frankie.
The one police person who seems to have evolved is the Crimson Lake police chief who may have softened a tiny bit with Amanda. (Or not) Amanda's ability to interact with him on a more personal level still seems mostly one-sided, but he may be thawing. He didn't completely throw Amanda and Ted off the Bell case as a start and he seemed to recognize the Sweeney/ Amanda interaction was a good thing.

Geri wrote: "Yes, I do think the police will continue to be a problem for Amanda and Ted. They will likely still be on the outside looking in as far as the town is concerned.
.."

Bruce Perrin | 127 comments Never been too good at separating the final chapter thoughts from the total book thoughts, so I just put everything in the last thread.

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7792 comments Barbara wrote: "I think forgiveness is part of it, but I got the sense that to Ted, Kelly was part of a past he had to leave behind. What he’d been through was transformative (to fall back on a currently overused, but I think in this context appropriate, word). He could never be that person again, and his new self was better suited to the possibilities presented by his life in Crimson Lake. ,..."

I always root for reconciliations in a romance thread but in this situation I totally got where Ted was with respect to returning to Kelly. In addition to all the points you all have made, he said something about her being a different person also, not the person he fell in love with -- a little beaten down, and he didn't say "needy" but that was what I thought of. I wondered if she wasn't looking to Ted to fix her broken life for her, which he was not in a position to do. He did see himself in her life as a friend, and certainly active in raising their daughter, so I felt better about his decision.

message 11: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14211 comments Barbara and Carol: good point that both Ted and Kelly had changed, (in my opinion too much for their previously strained marriage to work) Even Amanda is a different person.
I like that Harper has her characters evolve.

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I always root for reconciliations in a romance thread but in this situation I totally got where Ted was with respect to returning to Kelly. In addition to all the points you all have made, he said something about her being a different person also, not the person he fell in love with."

Barbara wrote: "I think forgiveness is part of it, but I got the sense that to Ted, Kelly was part of a past he had to leave behind. What he’d been through was transformative.."