Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Redemption Point (Crimson Lake, #2)
This topic is about Redemption Point
Group Read - Redemption Point > Group Read - Redemption Point ch 26-38 Spoilers Welcome

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14213 comments This topic is to discuss chapters 26-38 of Redemption Point
Spoilers welcome. If the first to post please briefly summarize to guide the discussion.

message 2: by Geri (last edited Apr 01, 2019 06:00PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 305 comments Chapter 26

Sweeney and Amanda on road. Amanda riding bike.
At pub, Sweeney scrolls through texts between Andrew and Kema. Amanda introduces a biker named Bruce to Sweeney.

Email from couple gives Ted and Dale a description of man.

Chapter 27

Amanda and Sweeney at The Barking Frog. It looks closed but as they knock the door is opened and they are let in. It’s an underground night club, pleasure den. Owner recognizes them and throws them out.

Chapter 28

Ted thinks about Melanie’s accusations. Ted wonders if this is all about money. Ted interviews a neighbor by bar again. Another neighbor interviewed. Myrna is a bit odd and pulls a gun out. Police were called. They found dozens of guns.

Ted lets Dale feed the geese.

Chapter 29

Kevin offers Penny’s mom the dog. She refuses the dog.

Chapter 30

Claudia Flannery, bar owner, is charged with an array of offenses. Chief Clark tells Sweeney to release Flannery. Too many high profile clients to deal with.

Chapter 31

Ted and Dale look at a list of sex offenders. Ted goes to talk to medical examiner. Stephanie viewing Andrew’s body one last time. Stephanie confesses that she killed them becauseAndrew was cheating.

Chapter 32

Kevin angry about Penny’s mom. He sees Ted and a girl on the side of the road. He lets dog out and threw it in a bush. Girl finds it.

Chapter 33

Ted on plane going to Sydney. He talks to Kelly. Kelly invites him to their home. Ted refuses.

Chapter 34

Podcast of Innocent Ted. Announcement of Ted’s interview.

Chapter 35

After Kevin has attacked Claire. He dumps dog at shelter. His girlfriend notices all the scratches from Claire fighting him off. He takes shower and thinks about what to do next. Kevin sees news story about Claire and finds out she is still alive.

Chapter 36

Ted and Amanda discuss why he needs to go back to Sydney. Amanda watches interview of Stephanie. Stephanie says some details are unclear about how she killed Andrew. Amanda interrupts interview. She believes Stephanie is lying. Sweeney agrees. Is Stephanie covering for someone? Kema’s parents arrive at station.

Chapter 37

Ted in Sydney. He meets Kelly at a restaurant. Kelly thinks Ted has a relationship with Amanda. Ted denies this and tells Kelly about Amanda’s quirks. Kelly reveals she still has feelings for Ted. She wants to try to fix their marriage.

Chapter 38

Kevin discussing the days after he attacked Claire. He considers killing Chloe and himself. Then he finds out someone else was arrested. He keeps track of Ted and begins to listen to an Innocent Ted podcast.

message 3: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14213 comments Geri: Kevin is a particularly scary guy in being able to hide in plain sight like this with Chloe, his girlfriend. It seems like he either doesn't think when he is obsessed, or is clueless. He sure deluded himself that Penny's Mom would welcome a strange man walking up to their door with "the perfect dog", and just let him in with it as a gift.
If he was smarter about it he might be able to get farther. Scary thought.

message 4: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14213 comments Stephanie's confession was a surprise. Again Candice Fox makes us aware of police interview outcomes and how easily a false confession can come about and how a line of questioning, such as with the shady nightclub owner, can be stifled by powerful people.
I wonder if Pip and the Chief would have been able to discern Stephanie was deluded in her confession without Amanda pointing it out. I don't blame Ted for accepting it, he reverted to policeman habits and just did his (former) job getting it down.

message 5: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14213 comments The vivid images of Amanda and Pip riding bikes out on a night out was a hoot. Amanda is really pulling Pip out of her shell.

Geri | 305 comments Ann wrote: "Geri: Kevin is a particularly scary guy in being able to hide in plain sight like this with Chloe, his girlfriend. It seems like he either doesn't think when he is obsessed, or is clueless. He sure..."

I agree that Kevin really was stupid at times. This didn’t feel quite right to me. I think Fox just needed a reason to put Kevin into a rage so he would go after Claire.

I was surprised about Stephanie’s confession too. I knew something was not quite right because it happened so early. I thought what would the rest of the book be about? LOL

The underground club at The Barking Frog was an interesting plot line. And nothing coming of it because higher ups wouldn’t want secrets revealed, did ring true to me. That sort of thing happens all the time.

Russ | 330 comments I'm starting to wonder how this will all shake out.

I definitely want Kevin busted & Ted exonerated. But at this point I'm not sure I want Ted back with Kelly. Amanda stuck with him when he was near his lowest. (And Valerie.) So I don't really want him to leave them and head back to the big city. But he does love & miss his daughter.

Maybe Kelly could take the baby up north, move in with Ted and the geese, and Ted could stay on as Amanda's partner for book #3?

message 8: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14213 comments Russ: I am not a fan of Kelly at all. If their marriage had fallen apart due to the immense strain of separation then it would have been understandable; but she abandoned Ted really fast and left him alone to deal with the false accusations almost from the beginning.
Ted being fully exonerated seems unlikely even if Kevin is proven to be the attacker by law enforcement not just with the evidence at hand.

Russ wrote: "I'm starting to wonder how this will all shake out.

I definitely want Kevin busted & Ted exonerated. But at this point I'm not sure I want Ted back with Kelly. Amanda stuck with him when he was near his lowest.."

Bruce Perrin | 127 comments Stephanie’s “confession” to Ted was so obviously fabricated that I was surprised that Pip and the Chief didn’t start off disproving it. Stephanie’s mind is a total blank when it comes to anything about the gun? Pip had the transcript and still thought this was a real confession? And then, after Amanda points out it couldn’t be true, they start talking about false memories, although I didn’t think a few days was enough to develop a false memory – aren't they years in the past? There is a mention that she might be trying to protect someone else, which would be a more common hypothesis. It’s dismissed in one word, “dunno”. But that could be Fox trying to draw our attention from what she has planned.

When I was reading about Kevin’s plans to get close to Penny, I expected him to keep the puppy and let Penny first make friends with the dog across the fence. Then, she lobbies her mom to go over and visit. For a guy who had been cunningly evil to this point, trying to force the dog on the family seemed out of character. Geri may be right – “Fox just needed a reason to put Kevin into a rage so he would go after Claire.” Trouble is, we keep coming up with justifications for strange actions based on what the author needs, rather than where the story has led us. Not good.

A lot of this section didn’t seem to move the plot much, e.g., finding all the guns, the visit to the pleasure den. Sure, investigations are messy and there’s a lot of wasted/extraneous effort and dead ends. And describing some of it adds to realism (although with Amanda, realism is probably not one of Fox’s objectives). But if Fox doesn’t pull in at least some of these events into the finale, this section could end up feeling a bit extraneous. That said, the high-profile clients at the pleasure den represent an array of twist opportunities for the ending.

On Russ’s comment (“I'm not sure I want Ted back with Kelly”), I agree completely.

message 10: by Ann (last edited May 01, 2019 08:39AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14213 comments Bruce: I was also surprised that Ted didn’t spot the lack of validity of Stephanie’s confession himself but I decided he was startled into “police-mode” where his training dormant inside him kicked in and sparked the procedures to follow. I took that also as a bit sad for Ted. He seemed to be falling into an old comfort zone.
The chief seemed to be portrayed as the stereotypical cop with a rush to convict the first person mode. Pip came off even more unsure of herself with this reaction to the confession.
As for Kevin and his heavy-handed approach to knock on Claire’s door and offer the dog to her mom — I took that as his own childish nature/ lack of maturity or development / complete inability to fit in society and understand others. I’m not saying it made me sympathetic towards Kevin; it just seemed to add nuance to his stilted personality.

Bruce wrote: "Stephanie’s “confession” to Ted was so obviously fabricated that I was surprised that Pip and the Chief didn’t start off disproving it.

When I was reading about Kevin’s plans to get close to Penny, I expected him to keep the puppy and let Penny first make friends with the dog across the fence. Then, she lobbies her mom to go over and visit. For a guy who had been cunningly evil to this point, trying to force the dog on the family seemed out of character. Geri may be right – “Fox just needed a reason to put Kevin into a rage so he would go after Claire.”
"

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Ann wrote: "As for Kevin and his heavy-handed approach to knock on Claire’s door and offer the dog to her mom — I took that as his own childish nature/ lack of maturity or development / complete inability to fit in society and understand others. "

Yeah and I also saw it as an extra layer of creepiness added to the teddy bear cam. Through the camera Kevin has been in Penny’s house and privy to all the conversations about wanting a dog. He’s gotten so far into his fantasies and away from reality that he doesn’t realize Penny’s mom will just see him as some whack job showing up out of the blue with a dog. Yecchh.

message 12: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14213 comments Jan O’Cat - excellent point regarding the off the scale creepiness factor of the camera Kevin planted in the teddy bear.
Another warning to parents living next door to, or anywhere in bandwidth of predators. He did decide he knew Claire very well so he was - in his mind - already an insider.

Bruce Perrin | 127 comments I think you're right about Kevin's delusion about already being accepted by the family. I was probably giving him to much credit for being cunning, based solely on the fact he thought he was. But his two interactions with the family were nothing short of disasters. Good observation.

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7794 comments Ann wrote: "Geri: Kevin is a particularly scary guy in being able to hide in plain sight like this with Chloe, his girlfriend. It seems like he either doesn't think when he is obsessed, or is clueless. He sure..."

I know this happens IRL with serial offenders, but I'm amazed at Chloe's willingness to put up with a boyfriend who clearly despises her and is using her for cover. Kevin is a really skillful actor to pull that off.

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7794 comments OMalleycat wrote: "Ann wrote: "As for Kevin and his heavy-handed approach to knock on Claire’s door and offer the dog to her mom — I took that as his own childish nature/ lack of maturity or development / complete in..."

I also thought that Kevin was getting impatient for things to progress to the next level after all his patience of planting the cam, watching the goings-on in the house, searching for the dog, etc. He definitely jumped the gun though.