YA LGBT Books discussion

Book Related Banter > No gay male romance YA books this year?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael | 2 comments So I'm very glad the most marginalized parts of the community are getting the representation they deserve this year, but it seems to me that we are also getting very few gay male romance YA releases.

The only ones I've seen are The Music of What Happens, You Asked for Perfect (which I'm probably not going to read... sounds too anxiety-inducing lol), A Place for Wolves (which I'm definitely not reading, seems problematic AF), We Contain Multitudes and Wayward Son, Carry On's sequel. On the other hand we are getting like ten or more big lesbian romance releases, which again I think it's an awesome thing, I just don't get why one type of representation has to come at the expense of another.

Have I missed any other big release? Could you recommend to me any other minor release that doesn't get as much press? I just want to read romance books I can relate to tbh.

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael | 2 comments I didn't count I Wish You All the Best because it technically isn't gay male romance since the protagonist is actually nonbinary, but I'm also a nonbinary male myself, so if you know any other gay romance with an AMAB nonbinary/transmasculine main character that would do too!

Linda ~ they got the mustard out! ~ (linda2485) | 337 comments I don't follow YA releases, but I did see that Hold My Hand, the sequel to One Man Guy, will be out in May.

message 4: by Kaje (last edited Mar 28, 2019 10:23PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16515 comments Michael wrote: "So I'm very glad the most marginalized parts of the community are getting the representation they deserve this year, but it seems to me that we are also getting very few gay male romance YA release..."

Not many. What I've seen listed -

Jordan vs. All the Boys (I loved this although it's more about one gay boy trying to find a relationship, amid his straight friends, but it does end with romance.)

I haven't read but seen listed:
The Whispers (Middle grades)
Heartstopper: Volume One (graphic)
In Case You Missed It
You Asked for Perfect
How Not to Ask a Boy to Prom
The Touchstone
To Be Honest
We Contain Multitudes
Hold My Hand
Ziggy, Stardust and Me

There are a couple of new novellas to follow
A Light Amongst Shadows - I enjoy this series; it should be read in order.

My favorite (but not new) YA with a trans guy is Spy Stuff - the author is trans and writes both YA and adult (some quite adult with BDSM), with several trans guys in his books; most of them are very good IMO. Love Spell has a nonbinary guy (assigned male at birth)

message 6: by Erica (new)

Erica | 1 comments Is talking about gay male appropriate? I don't know.

message 7: by Riley (new)

Riley (americawasntlost) | 4 comments First book of the Dreamer Trilogy comes out in November, Call Down the Hawk. Focal point is mlm characters. (Sequel? Sister? series to the raven cycle)

message 8: by Iamshadow (new)

Iamshadow | 334 comments Erica wrote: "Is talking about gay male appropriate? I don't know."

This comm is specifically for young adult books that feature queer characters from the complete range of the LGBTQIA+ spectrum, which very much includes gay male teen and young adult characters. If there's a more appropriate place to talk about gay male characters and books featuring them, I don't know it.

message 9: by Kaje (last edited Mar 29, 2019 10:37AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16515 comments Erica wrote: "Is talking about gay male appropriate? I don't know."

If you mean the adult gay male romances...

It's fine as long as the books are not sexually explicit and the MCs are younger ages, but not for anything with sex on page (there are a ton of great M/M out, but most are very definitely not for under-18 audiences.) There are a couple with asexual characters out too, but if the content is adult-focused (eg. cops, secret service, careers, pro sports, divorce, etc) then we don't discuss those here either.

message 10: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16515 comments I'm moving this topic thread to Book Related Banter where it fits best. Please continue to make suggestions.

message 11: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16515 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Some that haven't been mentioned yet....

Bloom
I Knew Him
The Fever King
Earth to Charlie
."

<3 Thanks - you always have great info on what's available.