What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Magic Fingers
This topic is about Magic Fingers
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Children/Young Adult Book from 50's or 60's about a native American girl who has been taught to make pottery by her grandmother, who is now blind. Girl has a rival. [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jane (new)

Jane E | 3 comments am searching for a childrens'/young adult book published in the late '50's or early '60's. I thought the title was Magic Hands or Magic Fingers, but neither one of those titles has turned up the book.

It is about a native American girl who has been taught to make pottery by her grandmother, who is now blind. The grandmother is very strict, and makes her granddaughter scrape the walls of the pots she makes until they are of a completely even thickness.

The young girl has a rival, who is constantly trying to put her down. She steals a ceremonial cane from a very distinguished member of the tribe, and accuses the main character of having taken it.

Getting good clay for the pots is very important. At one point in the book, the grandmother has her grand-daughter guide her to the location where she used to get her clay, before she went blind. She remembers the route well enough that she can describe it to her grand-daughter, and they successfully find it.

message 3: by Jane (last edited Mar 29, 2019 04:53AM) (new)

Jane E | 3 comments YES! That's it! And when I searched the author on Google, I realized I read some of her other books as a child (Dark Arrow, Fair Stood the Wind.) I remember she was a very good children's writer, and I think Fair Stood the Wind was a book that was on some school curriculums for study.

This particular book was special to me as it was a gift from a friend (chosen by her mother, no doubt!) at a time when I was home sick for an extended period. I read it over and over because I was so bored. Wish I'd never let it out of my hands...seems the writer has been all but forgotten. Sad!

So, how do I show that this has been solved?

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35148 comments Mod
Glad you found your book, Jane. I marked your request as Solved by clicking the small "edit" link after the topic header. This only works on the full desktop website - not the mobile app or mobile version.

message 5: by Jane (new)

Jane E | 3 comments Thank you, Chris!

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39296 comments Mod
Plot details added to header.