SimonOxfPhys Book Club discussion

Unexpected Favourites

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ria (new)

ria | 1 comments Hi everyone, I'm aware that this group is kind of dead, but I'm hoping that if anyone can give me some good advice - it's the lovely people of this community! Lately, I find myself reaching for the same kinds of books again and again, merely because I know that it's exactly the type of book I'll enjoy. In looking to diversify what I read and step outside of my comfort zone, what are some unusual genres and books that you enjoyed and reccomend?

message 2: by Debarghya (new)

Debarghya | 1 comments How about historical fiction? Try Ken Follett. The Century Triology is good. If not that then try classic Russian literature. Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky, etc. Other than these I would recommend Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë.

message 3: by Sascha (new)

Sascha | 1 comments What are the genres you usually read?

Some recommendations that might be unusual or unknown to non-German readers: The Magic Mountain (genre: Bildungsroman) and Mario and the Magician by Thomas Mann.

While the topics of these two are exactly in the comfort zone of people in this group, their style and form might be new to you: Physics and Beyond by Werner Heisenberg is an interesting collection of autobiographical conversations and The Physicists by Friedrich Dürrenmatt is a play about (minor spoiler about its topic) (view spoiler).

French/Belgian comics are also quite enjoyable, e.g. Asterix.

message 4: by Cody (new)

Cody McCall | 1 comments Last year I picked up "The Rise and Fall of Dinosaurs" and LOVED it! I was into dinosaurs growing up, but this was the first "adult" type book on dinos that I picked up.