Great African Reads discussion

Great African Reads: Places > Anglophone Cameroon

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tinea, Nonfiction Logistician (new)

Tinea (pist) | 370 comments Mod
Hi all,

I was a little checked out from the round of books about Cameroon that the group read recently. I'm wondering which if any touched on Anglophone Cameroon or Cameroonian history leading up the contemporary Anglophone crisis? Any other book recs for understanding Anglophone Cameroon or other relevant story or history to understand political situation?

message 2: by Wim, French Readings (new)

Wim | 666 comments Mod
Hello Tinea,
I really enjoyed our Jan/Feb short story read Your Madness, Not Mine: Stories of Cameroon by the anglophone author Makuchi.
On the history of Cameroon, I would like to suggest La guerre du Cameroun. L’invention de la Françafrique by Thomas Deltombe. Only available in French, though you can find an English summary here.
I haven't stumbled upon a more recent work on the contemporary Ambazonia crisis, unfortunately.

message 3: by Valerie (last edited Mar 29, 2019 03:41AM) (new)

Valerie (valroos) | 271 comments Hi Tinea,
In terms of non-fiction books, there is Mufot Atanga's The Anglophone Cameroon Predicament, Tse Peter Angwafo's Cameroon's Predicaments and Meredith Terretta's Nation of Outlaws, State of Violence: Nationalism, Grassfields Tradition, and State Building in Cameroon. But they are all academic books, and therefore maybe not readily available. There's also the memoir by Albert Mukong, Prisoner Without a Crime. Disciplining Dissent in Ahidjo's Cameroon and the collection of essays by Godfrey B. Tangwa I Spit on Their Graves. Testimony Relevant to the Democratization Struggle in Cameroon
Here is also a link to an open access academic article 'The Anglophone Problem in Cameroon', though it is a bit old: https://openaccess.leidenuniv.nl/bits...
And finally the International Crisis Group has done some very good reporting on the anglophone crisis in Cameroon, and all their reports are available in both French and English.

message 4: by Tinea, Nonfiction Logistician (new)

Tinea (pist) | 370 comments Mod
Wow, thank you both, this is really in depth and helpful!