Challenge Corner discussion

Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (Between, #1)
Let's Buddy! - Fantasy > Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by April Genevieve Tucholke -> Restarting May 10th, 2019

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

Alaina (ameserole) | 49737 comments Mod
You stop fearing the devil when you’re holding his hand…

Nothing much exciting rolls through Violet White’s sleepy, seaside town… until River West comes along. River rents the guest house behind Violet’s crumbling estate, and as eerie, grim things start to happen, Violet begins to wonder about the boy living in her backyard.

Is River just a crooked-smiling liar with pretty eyes and a mysterious past? Or could he be something more?

Violet’s grandmother always warned her about the Devil, but she never said he could be a dark-haired boy who takes naps in the sun, who likes coffee, who kisses you in a cemetery... who makes you want to kiss back.

Violet’s already so knee-deep in love, she can’t see straight. And that’s just how River likes it.

Blending faded decadence and the thrilling dread of gothic horror, April Genevieve Tucholke weaves a dreamy, twisting contemporary romance, as gorgeously told as it is terrifying—a debut to watch.

Saige (lannister807) | 1318 comments 7%- ok, so this isn't a big deal at all, but it kinda annoys me that the first time Luke greets Violet all he says is "Hey sister". Do siblings actually greet each other like that? Also, is every character in this going to be rich and white? Because I'm already tired of Violet's "I'm old money so I can't just get a job" worldview.

message 3: by Aly, Head of Solo Quarterly & Maker of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 18422 comments Mod
Hmm, hopefully not, that would be frustrating.
I'm getting the audio then I'll start it.

Saige (lannister807) | 1318 comments Cool! I'll probably be finished with it tomorrow night. It has picked up a bit actually, I'm reading a lot faster than I thought I would.

Saige (lannister807) | 1318 comments 47%- (view spoiler)

Saige (lannister807) | 1318 comments 100%- spoiler: (view spoiler)

message 7: by Jennifer, Maker of BR Threads (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jennifer | 3006 comments Mod
Ch 9 (26%) - (view spoiler)
Ch 17 (54%) - (view spoiler)
Ch 24 (82%) - (view spoiler)
Finished - Uh.....(view spoiler)

message 8: by Aly, Head of Solo Quarterly & Maker of BR Threads (last edited Apr 24, 2019 06:38AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chapter 9 (view spoiler)
Chapter 17 (view spoiler)
Chapter 24 (view spoiler)
Finished (view spoiler)

message 9: by Aly, Head of Solo Quarterly & Maker of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Do either of you want to read the second book?

message 10: by Aly, Head of Solo Quarterly & Maker of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jennifer wrote: "Ch 9 (26%) - [spoilers removed]
Ch 17 (54%) - [spoilers removed]
Ch 24 (82%) - [spoilers removed]
Finished - Uh.....[spoilers removed]"

Definitely agree with you about the ending.

message 11: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

Felicia | 14751 comments Mod
*************** RESTARTING MAY 10TH 2019 ***************

message 12: by Aly, Head of Solo Quarterly & Maker of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Thank you!