The Great American Read discussion

The Picture of Dorian Gray
This topic is about The Picture of Dorian Gray
PAST Group Reads 2019 > Picture of Dorian Gray- April- Pre-Read, NO Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Mar 28, 2019 11:04AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1835 comments Mod
This is the Pre-read and first impressions discussion of the Picture of Dorian Gray, our April 2019 book of the month.

NO SPOILERS please. We will add a Spoiler thread in a few days.

Who is planning to read this with us? I believe this link to the book will bring you to a FREE kindle, and this book should be available in most libraries.

message 2: by J., Your Obedient Servant (new) - rated it 3 stars

J. (jammons42) | 510 comments Mod
I read it last summer so I'm in for the discussion! I do adore Oscar Wilde.

message 3: by NancyJ, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Great. Who else is in? I'm going to start Count of Monte Cristo first, and I'll start this in a week or so.

message 4: by aPriL does feral sometimes (last edited Apr 02, 2019 07:30PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) Wow, did this novel surprise me when I read it a short time ago. Wilde was a literate aesthetic with an ability to express layers of art knowledge and philosophies in the guise of a fictional entertainment. I can imagine the parties he must have been familiar with, when drawing-room conversations about philosophy and gossip were all one and the same for these upper-class intellectuals.

message 5: by J., Your Obedient Servant (new) - rated it 3 stars

Has anyone else started?

Moonkiszt (moonkisztgmailcom) | 5 comments Haven't started yet but expect to in the next few days@

message 7: by J., Your Obedient Servant (new) - rated it 3 stars

Moonkiszt wrote: "Haven't started yet but expect to in the next few days@"

Wonderful! I can't wait to start discussing with everyone!

Ella (ellamc) | 300 comments I'm going to start over the weekend (and probably finish then too.) I started it last year and failed to complete, so I'm totally up for this, despite the giant books all my other book clubs have decided to saddle me with, all of which I do want to read, but man - I could build a house with this month's books. Luckily this one is short!

message 9: by NancyJ, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'll read it this weekend too.

message 10: by Parker (new) - added it

Parker | 204 comments Dorian Grey is probably one of the scariest books I've ever read.

message 11: by NancyJ, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Parker wrote: "Dorian Grey is probably one of the scariest books I've ever read."

Oh yeah? Cool. I'm getting excited to read something scary that is fictitious - so it's safe. I've read a lot of true life scary books this year. So this is welcome.

I just saw this book on a list of "beautiful books" or maybe it was "beautifully written books." So I'm definitely reading it this weekend.

message 12: by J., Your Obedient Servant (new) - rated it 3 stars

"I can never travel without my diary, one should always have something sensational to read on the train."
-Oscar Wilde

message 13: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Apr 13, 2019 03:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

J. wrote: ""I can never travel without my diary, one should always have something sensational to read on the train."
-Oscar Wilde"

That's funny.

I wonder which character in the story is most similar to Oscar Wilde. The Cynical Lord Henry, the sensitive painter Basil, or Dorian Gray himself. Or maybe a combination of all three men?

I'm not sure if we are meant to hate Lord Henry, or find him funny. He says such outrageous things. As I read the dialogue I can hear George Sander's voice in my head. I have no memory of the film, but I can't imagine any other actor in that role. He played a similar sardonic character in All About Eve (which is one of my favorite classic films.)

message 14: by Ella (last edited Apr 13, 2019 09:04PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ella (ellamc) | 300 comments I simply ADORE the preface to this book, and it's pretty pathetic that I don't believe I've ever actually finished the novel (maybe in high school I did, but I'm not sure) because it turns out I know the Preface almost by heart.

I also love the way they talk about Americans in the first chapter. Pretty hilarious (and true.) The language is delicious.

I must go read the final few chapters now. I sort of wish I had it in audiobook so I could turn off the lights and listen and be scared.

message 15: by NancyJ, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Not to spoil anything,... My worst fears were not realized, but I thought the ending was perfect.

message 16: by J., Your Obedient Servant (last edited Apr 14, 2019 01:26PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I don't remember the preface at all ... I'll have to re-read it.

And I think Basil might be the closest representation of Wilde.

message 17: by Ella (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ella (ellamc) | 300 comments agree on Basil, J -- I think Wilde thinks a lot of himself. Jumping to spoilers now

Kimberly | 33 comments I’ve just started, and am about 25% in! This is my first time reading Oscar!!!! Scary you say? Oh I can’t wait to see what unfolds.

Chris | 55 comments I just started this, finished the first chapter. Witty observations about the upper class, some LOL comments. Droll.

I had to smirk over Lord Henry's comments about marriage " You seem to forget that I am married, & the one charm of marriage is that it makes a life of deception absolutely necessary for both parties." Certainly skewers marriage of the times in the upper class when one married for money, status, convenience or all three!

message 20: by NancyJ, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chris wrote: "I just started this, finished the first chapter. Witty observations about the upper class, some LOL comments. Droll.

I had to smirk over Lord Henry's comments about marriage " You seem to forget t..."

He had a lot of great lines, didn't he? I hope you enjoy the discussion in the spoiler section!