Support for Indie Authors discussion

Blurb Workshop > Blurb Help- Women's fiction - Grace

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela (new)

Angela Joseph | 132 comments Like most have said, writing a blurb is one of the most difficult things an author has to do. Please give me your opinion/help with this blurb:
Grace Henderson appears to be a woman who has it all- a fabulous home, wealthy husband and two close female friends who share her home. Although Grace and her husband live apart, she thinks she has the ideal marriage. She doesn’t have to do his laundry, he is adoring and showers her with expensive gifts, but when Grace discovers her friends have been carrying burdensome secrets, her compassionate nature comes to the fore. She puts their needs ahead of her own, risking her marriage and leaving her with a secret too devastating to share with her friends.

message 2: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 1101 comments It seems pretty complete. Is the secret she can't share with her friends, something about her own secret past and she is risking exposure of it? That's the part I'm not clear on. (Without giving away spoilers.)

message 3: by Angela (new)

Angela Joseph | 132 comments Thanks M.L. Without giving away spoilers, her secret is something that happens while she's busy helping her friends.

message 4: by Tony (new)

Tony Blenman | 89 comments I am having problems linking, "She doesn't have to do his laundry ... but when Grace discovers her friends ... secrets, her compassionate nature comes to the fore." Was Grace not compassionate before? Was she uncaring? I am wondering if the two characteristics could not be alluded to. Just a thought.

message 5: by Jannik (last edited Apr 03, 2019 03:58PM) (new)

Jannik (jann1k) | 19 comments Okay, this really isn't my genre, so maybe my point misses its target, but overall the blurb is a bit too vague in my opinion.

While I understand the ramifications of the situation you're describing I have a very hard time actually picturing the situation — and therein lies the problem. The blurb reads like a description of a story rather than a story.

I get that you don't want to reveal your whole narrative but something more specific about the characters —not just their circumstances— and how they interact could go a long way. I guess what I'm saying is (a trite phrase, I know): More show, less tell.

Hope this helps!

message 6: by L.K. (new)

L.K. Chapman | 145 comments I agree with the other comments - there seems to not be quite enough detail for me to really understand the main thing the book is about or what it will be like to read, and I wasn't quite sure how all the different elements link together. I also found the way Grace lives with two female friends quite an unusual living situation and I felt that maybe it needed slightly more explanation as it distracted me a bit. I don't think the blurb is too far off though and it sounds like an intriguing story,

I had a bit of a go at rewriting it - it's probably not wonderfully written and I made a few assumptions about the story which might not be correct, but I hope it is helpful :) I think adding in a few more specific details about the story would help too.

Grace Henderson lives a life many would envy; with a fabulous home and a husband who showers her with expensive gifts, she is happy and content. It doesn't matter to her that she and her husband live apart, it means she doesn't have to do his laundry, and the two close friends she shares her home with more than make up for his absence.

Her simple and pleasant existence is turned upside down when she realises her friends are hiding burdensome secrets, and Grace discovers her compassionate side as she puts her life on hold to help them. But soon she finds herself hiding a secret of her own, one that she feels unable to share, one that could threaten everything.

message 7: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 1101 comments I like L. K.'s rewrite. It's balanced and makes the character a little more sympathetic.

message 8: by Angela (new)

Angela Joseph | 132 comments Tony wrote: "I am having problems linking, "She doesn't have to do his laundry ... but when Grace discovers her friends ... secrets, her compassionate nature comes to the fore." Was Grace not compassionate befo..." Thanks for your feedback. She was very compassionate and caring, that's the reason she reached out to help her friends while neglecting her marriage somewhat. That said, I also like L. K's rewrite. I think you got a good feel for the story, but I also think V. M. has a valid point about putting the pieces together. I had a lot of fun (and angst) writing this book, and great feedback from my group, but writing the blurb is another story. (sigh) I'll come back with something soon.