Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts discussion

Need Book Recommendations > New to PNR and looking for vampire/werewolf/gods recommendations

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicky نیکی (new)

Nicky نیکی | 4 comments Hello, I’m new to PNR and have read a couple of books in the past (a couple Christine Feehan vampire romances and Amanda Ashley). I’d like to get into the genre more but there are so many options that it’s a bit overwhelming. I tried to get into the Black Dagger series but just couldn’t get into it. I didn’t care all that much for the writing and the focus that was put on non-romance elements. So, I’d love some recommendations for some good PNR books that have emotional depth and focus mainly on the romantic aspect as opposed to other aspects. I’m not a big fan of light hearted, funny romances and love books with a darker element. I’m interested in vampires, werewolves, gods, and am open to other things (though fae don’t appeal to my much).

message 2: by Wild_irish_rose (last edited Mar 28, 2019 06:11PM) (new)

Wild_irish_rose | 6 comments You might want to take a look at Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter series or Lora Leigh's Breed series. I love both.

message 3: by Nicky نیکی (new)

Nicky نیکی | 4 comments Thank you! Of the two is one more emotionally intense?

message 4: by Robin (new)

Robin (rockin_robin) | 81 comments Have you tried Jacquelyn Frank? Specifically her Nightwalkers series that begins with Jacob.

message 5: by Aphelia (last edited Mar 29, 2019 12:39PM) (new)

Aphelia (aphelia88) I'd highly recommend Sharon Ashwood's Dark Forgotten series - the new covers are lackluster but the series has great action AND hot romance! There are witches, vampires AND weres:

Ravenous The Dark Forgotten by Sharon Ashwood New Cover
Ravenous (The Dark Forgotten, #1) by Sharon Ashwood Old Cover

message 6: by Amy*skye.rhyme (last edited Mar 29, 2019 12:44PM) (new)

Amy*skye.rhyme | 86 comments Nicole wrote: "Hello, I’m new to PNR and have read a couple of books in the past (a couple Christine Feehan vampire romances and Amanda Ashley). I’d like to get into the genre more but there are so many options t..."

I'll second the suggestion of Jacquelyn Frank. She's one of my favorite authors as well.

Jacob (Nightwalkers, #1) by Jacquelyn Frank Jacob by Jacquelyn Frank
(Nightwalkers #1)

If I had to choose an overall BEST paranormal romance series, I'd say these next 2 are tied for my favorite series:

Darkness Dawns (Immortal Guardians, #1) by Dianne Duvall Darkness Dawns by Dianne Duvall
(Immortal Guardians #1)

Touch the Dark (Cassandra Palmer, #1) by Karen Chance Touch the Dark by Karen Chance
(Cassandra Palmer #1)

That's of course, after Nalini Singh and her Psy-Changeling series which is almost universally loved and could even be considered required reading for the genre.

Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling #1) by Nalini Singh Slave to Sensation by Nalini Singh
(Psy-Changeling #1)

message 7: by Aphelia (new)

Aphelia (aphelia88) Nalini Singh's Guild Hunter books - with a mortal hunter and an archangel - are fun too the first one is:

Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter, #1) by Nalini Singh

message 8: by Errin (new)

Errin Stevens (errintevens) | 98 comments I much enjoyed "Gentry," "Roman," and "Asher" by TS Joyce (werewolf shifter, quippy/funny heroines). And for a different variety of shifter, you could peek at these:
Updrift
Breakwater
Outrush

message 9: by Robin (new)

Robin (rockin_robin) | 81 comments I just thought of another author --I tend to like the more humorous ones so I'm trying to remember good pnr that wasn't as blatantly humorous. Cynthia Eden has some good pnr series. Eternal Hunter (Night Watch, #1) by Cynthia Eden the Night watch series, Burn For Me (Phoenix Fire, #1) by Cynthia Eden the Phoenix fire series, The Wolf Within (Purgatory, #1) by Cynthia Eden the Purgatory series

message 10: by Anne (new)

Anne Schlea | 32 comments I'll third Jaquelin Frank. She's a favorite. I think Gideon is my fav in that series, but don't read them out of order.

Sherrilyn Kenyon is also amazing, but she has so many books you can get lost if you don't read them in the right order.

message 11: by Amy*skye.rhyme (last edited Apr 20, 2019 06:38PM) (new)

Amy*skye.rhyme | 86 comments Nicole wrote: "Hello, I’m new to PNR and have read a couple of books in the past (a couple Christine Feehan vampire romances and Amanda Ashley). I’d like to get into the genre more but there are so many options t..."

Forbidden (The World of Nightwalkers, #1) by Jacquelyn Frank Forbidden by Jacquelyn Frank
(The World of Nightwalkers #1)

Since so many of us LOVE Jacquelyn Frank and her Nightwalker series (which includes Jacob & Gideon), I thought I'd also mention her Bodywalkers series that's a little less popular but is still an amazing series!

It's one of the most unique concepts I've ever read in a paranormal series, it's about Bodywalkers, which are ancient egyptian souls (like from the time of Cleopatra) that are reincarnated in spirit form every 100 years and can merge with a human they feel drawn to and can share the human's body. It sounds creepy but it's not at all. These are definitely still romance books. Technically, it is a possessed host kinda thing, but it's voluntary and they can only do this with a human who's dying. It makes the human nearly immortal and the relationship is more like a symbiotic friendship with a very ancient and wise mentor who talks to you in your head! I'm not positive but I think that somewhere in the series there are a few crossover points with the Nightwalker books.

The Unleashing (Call of Crows, #1) by Shelly Laurenston The Unleashing by Shelly Laurenston
(Call of Crows #1)

Another series that I think should be mentioned is the Call of Crows series by Shelly Laurenston. It's a bit more serious than her shifter books but still has the same dynamic and quirky characters that she's so well known for. What makes it different from her other stuff is that there is a lot of rich mythology and world-building. And they're action-packed too with lots of fight scenes!

message 12: by J.F. (new)

J.F. Holland (jfholland) | 55 comments Nicole wrote: "Hello, I’m new to PNR and have read a couple of books in the past (a couple Christine Feehan vampire romances and Amanda Ashley). I’d like to get into the genre more but there are so many options t..." Hi, Nicole, I have all the dark series by Christine, also Lana Adrian's Midnight Breed, alien vampire race, Lynsay Sands, Argeneau Series. I myself have a PNR Shifter Serial out called, The Bound Series, the first 4 books are in a boxset together and available on KU and I'm in the middle of uploading the next 3 into a boxset and putting that up also. Yes, there is a bit of humour, but there are also darker elements as life has a mixture - and as one reader found out - it's all about the romance...

message 13: by M.K. (new)

M.K. Roze (mkroze) | 3 comments My new book: Immortal Visions has vampires, gods, goddesses, witches, realms, visions, and tons more in it. IMMORTAL VISIONS

message 14: by Addison (new)

Addison Carmichael | 48 comments Dive into the hidden were-world of shifters with my PNR series SONS OF THE ALPHA (Knight #1) (HEIR #2) - both now released. Knight (Sons of the Alpha, #1) by Addison Carmichael Heir (Sons of the Alpha, #2) by Addison Carmichael

message 15: by Shivani (new)

Shivani | 2 comments Hello everyone! Okay, this is my first time posting on goodreads, so I hope I'm posting this at the right place! I have recently really really gotten into Paranormal Romance, especially with vampires in them. So far I have read Black Dagger, Immortals after dark, Immortal Guardians, Dark Warriors, Lords of the Underworld, etc.

As you can probably tell, I love books that are in series, but I am onlyyyy looking for books where each book is focused on a different couple with a HEA at the end. (I'm not so much into following 1 character through 3-5 books and just leaving it at that). So if anybody has any series recommendations where each book focuses on a different M/F happily ever after, wether it be vamprire, alphas, etc, PLEASE tell me! Thank you!! :)

message 16: by Errin (new)

Errin Stevens (errintevens) | 98 comments Take a look at these?
Updrift
Breakwater
Outrush

Megan (The Gemini) (cutterrenee) The Blade and the Rose series and anything Sarah J Maas!