Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes > Need suggestions

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robin (new)

Robin A We recently decided to homeschool our 13 yr old. We are still working out all the details of this, but we were talking about fables and I have been looking up books to get. However most of the are very elementary. Anyone have suggestions for more of a middle/high school reading level.

message 2: by Karin (last edited Mar 28, 2019 10:02AM) (new)

Karin | 6889 comments I can't remember fables at middle school level, just fairy tales. My kids didn't even read fairy tales until age 10 (my eldest is an Aspie, so for good reason) and my daughters found volumes of them written at a middle school level in the library.

BUT I highly recommend asking on the Well Trained Mind Forum, which I found to be the best place to ask almost all homeschooling related questions during the 11 years I homeschooled. I can't remember if there is a forum for middle school age. If you can get Susan Wise Bauer's book main book of that title (from the library - you don't have to do classical education to glean book titles--classical education was a fail here, although I modified some of her suggestions and used a couple of her things) she often has books for three main categories that can be basically lumped into elementary, middle and high school level. My two copies (first and third editions, downstairs) may be out of date.

BUT, at 13 your child is really on the cusp of her third level (not sure about the reading level).

Feel free to PM me if you like for any other questions. I'll friend you just in case my privacy settings don't allow that as I was having odd people contact me for a while.

message 3: by Robin (new)

Robin A Thank you for the information. His reading and intelligence levels are high(though not formally tested due to fighting with the school to get it done, hence one of many reasons for the changing is schooling). I just accepted you as a friend and will be sure to ask you should I have any questions.

message 4: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6889 comments Robin wrote: "Thank you for the information. His reading and intelligence levels are high(though not formally tested due to fighting with the school to get it done, hence one of many reasons for the changing is ..."

Great. And, fwiw, even kids with high reading skills often like to read things written for their own age peers and sometimes younger, along with everything else. I also factored in sensitivities, etc, etc to reading. All the best!

message 5: by Joanne (last edited Mar 31, 2019 02:35PM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7125 comments Robin, not sure where you live, but check your local library. I know ours has a lot of of resources for homeschooling.

message 6: by Robin (new)

Robin A South Dakota. I didn't think to formally ask them, but did find a couple of books today that help with deciding to homeschool.

message 7: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7125 comments Robin wrote: "South Dakota. I didn't think to formally ask them, but did find a couple of books today that help with deciding to homeschool."

I would talk to the YA librarian, I am sure they have a lot resources you could utilize