I Read Comic Books discussion

Comics & Other Media > Captain Marvel movie

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chad (new)

Chad | 224 comments So what's everyone think about Captain Marvel now that everyone's had a chance to see it? I know it's receiving some mixed reviews (although a lot of those seem to be stemming from the fact that Captain Marvel is a woman for some stupid reason). While I had a couple of nitpicks, I thought it was great. Brie Larson was amazing. I can't wait to see her in Endgame. I absolutely love how they came full circle with the Stan Lee cameo. Having him rehearse lines for Mallrats was a stroke of genius. I also dug all the female-centric 90's power pop.

message 2: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin | 17 comments I really liked it. I'm not sure I'd call it my favorite Marvel movie (hard to beat Into the Spiderverse) but I think it did an excellent job of establishing her character and I liked that the personality that DeConnick created in her run really came through in the movie.

message 3: by Oneirosophos (last edited 12 hours, 46 min ago) (new)

Oneirosophos | 16 comments I loved Ms Marvel. I wasn't so enthusiastic when she was updated to Captain, but it was a good read. Then Kamala happened, who I love incredibly.

The Marvel I watched on the big screen was boring and I think Brie larson was very "wooden", in contrast to almost every other character in this movie. But it could be worse, like Civil War 2 worse, which was by far the worst Cap Marvel story ever made. There, they utterly destroyed the character. In this movie, they made an average, ok-ish mess which reminded me the early years of MCU. With a forgetful soundtrack and a lot of "cringy" twists.

message 4: by Chad (new)

Chad | 224 comments Interesting. I thought the movie version was far better than any Captain Marvel comic I've ever read. And I've read all except the original 70's run of Ms. Marvel.

message 5: by Hermit (last edited Mar 14, 2019 02:29PM) (new)

Hermit of Bowman Swamp (bowmanswamp) | 26 comments I am in the liked-it-very-much camp. I thought the performance of Brie Larson was just right. I liked the balance of seriousness and humor. I loved the Stan Lee cameo. I have some minor quibbles with the film, but all in all it was very well done and highly entertaining. I've seen it twice on the big screen so far.

message 6: by Mike (new)

Mike Rapin (mikerapin) | 365 comments Mod
On the whole I really enjoyed this movie. I'm glad they didn't do the typical "baddie is just the hero with the same powers, but bad" story and I think a lot of the side characters were very well crafted. I definitely felt a lot for Carol's friend Maria -- Lashana Lynch's performance was incredible.

There were a lot of little twists and unexpected turns that caught me off guard throughout the movie that I really enjoyed. It's not often that a Marvel movie surprises me nowadays and I was pleasantly surprised throughout this movie.

I really can't wait to see how Carol interacts with the rest of the Avengers!

message 7: by Craig (last edited 16 hours, 56 min ago) (new)

Craig | 15 comments Wife and I just saw it and it's a good movie, firmly among the better Marvel films. Brie Larson was a good choice and we thought her performance was just right--I like that she always seems to have a bit of a smirk ready in any overly serious situation (she was great in Kong: Skull Island, too). I liked that the film just threw us into the deep end and expected us to catch up, filling in just enough detail as events continued to keep straight what was happening, etc. Not the usual superhero origin story.