Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > So, what's going on in your life?

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

Pamela (foxglovewitch) | 614 comments Mod
Just thought I'd create a topic for talking about day to day things along with all of our wonderful book chatter. :)

What's going on in your life?

I'm a grad student, working on my MA in English, and boy, am I trying to cram the books in. I tried to read The True Story of Hansel and Gretel in a weekend, and I frankly would rather have been kicked in the crotch repeatedly. It's an excellent book, but it deals with the Holocaust, and as we've been studying how fairy tales are incorporated into Holocaust stories for the past three weeks, I've just about run out of emotional energy. I had to stop reading and pick up Harry Potter for a little relief.

message 2: by Summer (new)

Summer (summerbp) | 59 comments I'm trying to find the strength to finish the last 6 weeks of my undergraduate career, all while planning my wedding (which happens one week after I graduate) and trying to find a "real job," as well as figure out where we will be living. The good news is I bought my dream wedding dress yesterday, so that's off my stress list. Also, this week is spring break and I've already read 4 books since Saturday!

message 3: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

@Emily: We're doing some really varied stuff in the fairy tales class, but we've managed to pull in some really great stuff dealing with the Holocaust and novels dealing with children's experiences. Number the Stars wasn't a tough read, and it's an excellent book. Briar Rose was tougher, dealing with death camps, and Hansel & Gretel was just... astonishingly bleak and grim. I admire anyone who can focus on Holocaust history or literature, because I certainly don't have the emotional strength to do it. We're moving on to Zel for this coming Monday, and god, I hope it's less bleak.

@Summer: Good luck with all of that! Graduation is such a stressful time; I nearly had a freakout when I got my bachelor's degree, heh. I'm glad you found a great dress, though! That's definitely a load off when you're planning a wedding. :)

message 4: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Summer - I know exactly what you are going through. I'm not going to mention how many years ago it was, but my wedding was 3 days after my last final of my Bachelor's degree. It will all be worth it to have it all done at once. I think the finding a "real job" was a bit more stressful because we were newlyweds and I began to freak out as the bank account balance kept going down, but I somehow pulled that one off at the last second too. I'm wishing you the best!

message 5: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitaw) | 165 comments I'm home from work for the second day in a row with a sick 2.5 year old, and just starting to feel less exhausted/morning sick from my second pregnancy. I'm entering my 2nd trimester. If it were a normal day, I'd be at my marketing job at a non-profit association. The good part about being at home with a sick kid is that she is thrilled to spend part of the day watching Disney movies while I read.

I'm almost embarrassed about how addictive I'm finding LKH novels. I seriously have a very hard time putting them down to do more important things. Maybe I should pace myself between them - I am way too obsessed to find out how the Anita/Richard relationship evolves. (I know, everyone else cares about the Anita/Jean Claude relationship. I'm a sucker for a tortured soul.) I'm most of the way through Incubus Dreams. As I've been reading it, I keep thinking that either LKH's editor told her to ramp up the sex in her novels because it sells well, or she must have got a great new contract and started writing longer, sexier books just because she wanted to. I'm completely amazed that she can make one sex scene into a 100 page event. (The triumverate threesome consumation, if you are trying to figure out what I mean.)

Enjoy college, wedding planning, and the excitement of a new life - interesting, fun, adult interactions are farther between when work and kids take the majority of your time.

PurpleObsessor_15 (hunnybunn13) | 7 comments I'm SO sad. I'm leaving soon (to Oregon). Today was the last day I could stay after school and hang with Aaron....and he got himself GROUNDED. I have only 2 days left of school, then during spring break....it's bon voyage. :( I'm really gonna miss him. Of all the looser guys I've met he's great and mature for his age. I like hanging out with him more than ANYTHING (even school work.. UH OH).

Anyway, I'm gonna we living in a 3 bedroom (Iget a room!!) 3 1/2 bath. It has NO dishwasher (darn it!!), but It has a nice back yard where we can put a fence and flowers and stuff. Mom said once we buy it (we're renting to buy) I can get a black lab. YAY!! Anyway...that's my life. :( :)

message 7: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan1228) The so called full-time job I’ve been at for the last 2 year has down graded from part-time/temp to on-call. So I’m out looking for real full-time work again. {grumble}

message 8: by Tricia (new)

Tricia | 39 comments Hey Anita, I'm addicted to LKH as well, and yeah her last few books in the series are filled with way to much sex. It got to the point where I'd just flip pages, to get back to the "Story." From Incubus Dreams to Micah it kinda sucks, but once you get to "The Harlequin" she redeems herself. I can't wait for Blood Noir!

Back to the topic..lol...

My life is crazy.. I'm a full time photographer (day job in the studio) and shoot weddings, birthdays, seniors, etc. on the side. Plus I'm married, and have 4 kids + all that entails.... needless to say I'm tired all the time, but enjoying the ride.

message 9: by Pamela, Moderatrix (last edited Mar 14, 2008 07:48AM) (new)

Good luck with the job hunt, Ja'niece! Job hunts exhaust me, ugh.

We've finally finished up with the Holocaust-related books in my fairy tales class, thank the lord and lady, AND it's Spring Break in about... an hour and fifteen minutes (when I get off of work; I work in my university's writing center). Man, I really need this break. Even if we are having a giant garage sale, and I sincerely hope my mother doesn't expect me to spend the entire break helping her sort through stuff. [facepalm] I have to work on a paper for my Shakespeare class (comedies, hooray!) and get in some good slacking time, too. I have video games to play, Sims 2 families to expand, X-Files DVDs to watch, books to read!

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jen421) | 201 comments I have spent most of my time lately working my behind off. I have spent most of the morning today, and will be spending most of the afternoon, in a deposition. (No, I'm not the one being deposed.) I'm a paralegal at a fairly large law firm. Let me just say that legal proceedings are not nearly as exciting as they make them look on TV. I'm trying my best to look like I'm paying attention, and not like I'd love a nap. Easier said than done. I have worked late several night for the last month or so, and come in on weekends. Don't they know that all this work is cutting in to my reading time!!

message 11: by Kim (new)

Kim | 56 comments Jennifer, I feel your pain! Same job, smaller firm, paper everywhere. ;o) We have a a 16 yr old, a 4 yr old and 2 puppies (one, 6 mos. old, one, 9 weeks old). Chaos, mayhem & disorder are the rule of thumb at my house for probably the next month...sigh...reading time has shifted to whenever everyone is asleep.

I just finished "Vampire, Interrupted", and am looking for the next in the Lynsey Sands Argeneau series (along with Jim Butcher's 2 newest!)

message 12: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (tammymerlot) So glad to see other legal professionals in this group. I am a paralegal too, small law firm, lots of chaos and busier than heck! Definitely not as glamorous as it is on TV. I've yet to meet a really HOT attorney who looks like he just stepped out of Law & Order. LOL!

I've learned to squeeze in reading time during my breaks or my lunch hour. Sometimes I will even go into the office early before anyone else is around (and after the kiddos go to school), so that I can finish a good book before I start my daily routine. Fortunately the atty. I work for is close to retirement and he never, ever goes to court anymore. I am not as busy as I used to be and I have a little breathing room sometimes. = )

Good luck!

message 13: by Daisiemae (last edited Mar 19, 2008 02:15PM) (new)

Daisiemae | 2 comments I am a Mental Health Casemanager. I go to schools and work with Mentally Ill children who have difficulty staying in the classroom and dealing with the pressures of school and homelife. It can be stressful at times, (okay alot of the time) and the paperwork is a pain in the arse, but the kids are worth it. Needless to say, when my husband is at work (he works nights 4 nights a week) and during my free time I relax and read.
I am not looking forward to Spring Break, because our program will keep the children with us all day...and they get bored quickly, and are not satisfied easily...so I am ready to get next week over with...lol

message 14: by Christel (new)

Christel (christelc) | 4 comments Not much going on here in my house. Getting hubby ready to go TDY to Fort McCoy Wiscounsin for a month and other than that just putzing around

message 15: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (tammymerlot) Kudos to you, Daisiemae! One of the new (baby) attorneys in our office does lots of dependency work for the state. (Dependencies in our state are the cases that get filed when a parent decides they can no longer handle their child, etc.). I've had the opportunity to work with a few Mental Case Managers and various social workers. You've got a tough job! But very admirable.

message 16: by Stella (new)

Stella (stellaprice) | 36 comments On top of an author, Im a graphic artist that does book covers for 8 publishers, and do the promotional graphics for several NY authors as well. When Im not writing or designing, Im helping my sister get ready for her wedding, or doing signings.

I have a signing tomorrow in Scranton PA and its with a bunch of authors. We are giving away a really great gift basket valued at over 75$. If your anywhere Scranton PA *the dickson city store* Ill be there tomorrow from 7-9.

Stella

Julie (jjmachshev) (jjmachshev) | 11 comments I'm retired USAF, now employed by yet another government agency working in yet another building with NO WINDOWS! But that aside, I'm enjoying my working retirement where I get to pick what I wear! LOL, but all the retired men bitch about that exact same thing! I have 3 male kids in my house: 17 yr-old, almost 16 yr-old, and 47 yr-old. OK, so the last one is my hubby, but aren't they all still boys at heart? So between work, a new house, band events, and reading...my life is pretty full these days.
Julie

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

My life is packed full of stress right now.

I'm having problems at work. Problems that have left me no choice but to contact my boss's boss. Waiting for him to take action has my stomach in knots. On top of that my aunt - who is like a mother to me, had a heart attack on Monday morning. Once at the hospital they discovered she has had pneumonia for 4 months and didn't go to the doctor about it. On top of that she has some kinda of gastrol infection which caused her to cough up blood and expell blood from her rectum so bad they had to give her a blood transfusion. The poor woman. She has such a hard life. She had a job as a nurse, she loved it and was good at it. She had to quit when she was 35 -she's now 55 and go on disability because of arthritis. She is cribbled up so bad! Over the years to keep it in remision she's taken every drup under the sun. One of the drugs side effect is cancer, and back in 2000 she had skin cancer. All the drugs have also effected her immune system and she picks up any little bug.
She's in pretty bad shape. The doctors are expecting her to stay in the icu for at least a week.

Everything has to always happen at once.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Soory to hear about your Aunt Crystal, I do hope things get better for you. Your in my prayers.

message 20: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jen421) | 201 comments We're very sorry to hear that Crystal. Hopefully things will work out for the best.

message 21: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

I'm very sorry to hear about your Aunt, Crystal. I hope she recovers quickly.

message 22: by Gina (new)

Gina (ginrobi) | 137 comments No wonder you haven't been emailing me. God, Crystal, I'm feeling for you. I really hope your aunt feels better really soon - it sucks to have a loved one sick like that. I've been to ICU twice to see someone in my family, and I hated it. And I hope your boss's boss moves his rear end really soon. Something has got to be done about the 'B' you have for a boss. Hope something happens soon

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks everyone for your support and comments. I saw my Aunt yesterday and she has been moved from icu, and is doing much better. It's amazing how quickly you can begin to feel better once they get drugs into a person's blood stream. Her potasium is up, her white cell count is back up to where it should be. She is getting her colon checked this morning to find out how much damage has been done to her digestive track with this infection she had, and why she lost so much blood. She even thinks that they could send her home as soon a tomorrow, which she is scared about because she doesn't want something else to go wrong as she is 45 minutes from the hospital.

message 24: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

I hope everyone's doing well. :)

I've got a Shakespeare paper looming over my head, and I'm starting to feel like I'm a complete hack, that I'm just faking all of this academic stuff, haha. I always get like this when I write papers; I think I'm writing complete and utter crap. I guess I'm my own worst critic. Doesn't help that I have Hermione syndrome.

But the paper's due tomorrow, and I'm about three pages from finishing it. I can do that before work in the morning. Deep breaths, confidence, all that.

And after that... no more papers until the end of the semester! Hooray! And my favorite renaissance faire is opening up this weekend, so I get to dress up in my garb and play dress up as a grownup again. Faire season makes me so happy. ;)

message 25: by Inky (new)

Inky | 10 comments Good luck Fangirl, the darkest hours are the wee ones before college Shakespeare papers are due. I know from personal experience.

At the moment, I'm trying to erase the stress of deadlines and work by skipping through Goodreads to see what's new. This place is fast becoming an outlet for me. And I've gotten a lot of good suggestions from you guys -- I just picked up a couple of Kresley Cole books because she's mentioned so often as a favorite.

message 26: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

Thanks, Inky. I had to give up last night and finish it up this morning, but it's finished! Hurrah! I'm going to let a shower clear my mind before editing the bloody thing, and then it'll be finished.

And then I have to write an article response for Othello, since I put that off to write the paper. Isn't procrastination great?

And GoodReads really is a great place to relax and waste some time. [cough] I haven't been able to get on here as much lately as I'd like, what with this paper and deadlines for the literary journal I'm editing for my department, but now that the major stuff has been taken care of, I should be able to poke around on here more often. Yay!

message 27: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (rivera_bookjunkie) Well... I'm in the process of switching careers so it's a bit stressful but I know that it will be worth it. I'm going from being a secretary to a teacher. But I have been visiting schools here in Jacksonville, Florida and getting used to the southern accent that people have. Other than that, I have been working and enjoying reading at the beach with my dog Herbie.

message 28: by Jetta (new)

Jetta | 1 comments I'm a homemaker raising my granddaughter a handful bebeive me. I get away by reading in between her napes and cleaning up after her. i just started to get into PNR and i love it so much. i reward myself with a page here and there. have to be careful....cause i will neglect everything and everyone lol poor hubby..looking for more good books any suggestion?

message 29: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 128 comments Thought I would chime in here. I am doing something crazy this weekend...well tonight rather...lining up at 2AM to the casting call/audition for Deal or No Deal. It is happening the next town over from me and who could pass up that chance??? I will be in line with an umbrella (it is pouring today and will be raining through the night and into the morning tomorrow) attached to my folding camping chair reading "Dead Witch Walking". I just finished the 3rd Sookie Stackhouse...which I loved...and will see if this time I can get into this series by Kim Harrison. Couldn't do it the first time I picked it up, but I will have no other option tonight when I am sitting in line for 8+hours...

Otherwise...life is pretty normal with me...I am an executive secretary now, live with my man and two dogs...obviously love to read when ever I can get away from my chores to do so....

:)

message 30: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (rivera_bookjunkie) Jessie you should take another book with you just in case you can't get into it. You don't want to be 'stuck' with only one book. hahaha!

message 31: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 128 comments I have faith I will get in. I don't think I will be reading the whole time, so I hope the one will be enough. I also have the Graphic Novel "First Death that I have not taken out of the celophane yet that I will b able to peruse : )

message 32: by Pamela, Moderatrix (last edited Apr 06, 2008 09:29AM) (new)

I am going to spend today in a video-game-induced haze. Yesterday I went to the local renaissance faire ( http://www.scarboroughrenfest.com ) with my mother and grandmother. We had a fantastic time, but jeez, am I tired! I go in costume, so that was the first time since November that I've been laced up in my bodice since. I really need to get to the gym, haha.

Does anyone else visit ren faires?

message 33: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jen421) | 201 comments I have never been to a ren faire, but I've always wanted to. I think there's one not too far from where I live every summer. Maybe I'll try to make it this year. They look like fun!