I Read Comic Books discussion

Worked at a comic shop? Tell me about it

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 202 comments So the Valiant Twitter account posted a question about creators working at a comic shop and it reminded me of the time I (unsuccessfully) applied to work at a comic shop.

It was going to be a part time job, while I found my real adult job I have now. I am very disappointed that I never got that experience tho.
Y’all can tell me about it tho...

message 2: by Chad (new)

Chad | 225 comments I never worked at a comic shop but I was offered one for $1. I became good friends with my local comic shop owner over the years and he eventually decided to part with it. He was just going to give it to me as long as I kept it open. Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out at the time how to keep the shop open and still keep my full time job where I worked 2nd shift. Plus, I was still a dumb kid in my early 20's. I wish I had that opportunity again now that I'm more established.

message 3: by Mike (new)

Mike Rapin (mikerapin) | 365 comments Mod
I was very close to being a part-owner of a comic shop maybe 6-7 years ago. It would have been me helping take over a long-running shop and, honestly, would have been super irresponsible.

I think the guy who ran the shop liked me for some reason (and this dude didn't seem to like many people). He and his wife were a bit older and were probably just trying to get out of the daily life of running a shop (which I totally get). I don't know how / why I was one of the few people who were tapped as potential people to take over, but it was there and I definitely considered it -- I think it would have been a super tough but amazing experience.

Alas, it never happened, but for a long time I did want to try to run a comic shop, but as I've gotten older, I see how tough running any business can be, let alone a comic shop.

message 4: by Casey (new)

Casey La frenier (angelmac612) | 3 comments i am currently on and off working at a comic book shop in nyc! have been there since may of last year. i'd say its not a very good stable job. but it really would be awesome if it were able to be that way. its pretty non-hierarchical so i dont feel like a small person there. I do have to say theres quite a bit of disrespect and stupidity from customers from what i assume is because im an afab alternative looking person. they doubt my knowledge of very basic things. but other than that, i enjoy the social atmosphere, connects me to awesome local creators who i can get to sign here!!! we love having people, i personally can sit there all day and talk with them. i started this pride month thing here and im very proud of it, and want to expand further this year!! so yeah its a cool experience but theres bits that may throw you off. it definitely keeps me on my toes for new releases :)

message 5: by Damien (new)

Damien | 3 comments I worked at a comic book shop in LA for about a year in 2013. It was a cool spot because they had the main book area, but they really specialized in the collectibles statues, toys, figurines, random miscellaneous paraphernalia. They had a huge online store on ebay, which is where they did the bulk of their business, and I was hired along with another guy to run the warehouse/fill orders that would come through from ebay, etc. It was awesome.

At that time, I was a Junior in college so going to work was a nice break from the studying. It was cool working with no supervision, being trusted with inspecting the expensive pieces, and just being around comics and the various action figures. It was my first exposure to the collectible side of comics; before then I would watch the movies and TV shows, and occassionally pick up a comic or two here and there, nothing consistent.

My horizons were broadened, I learned about the wonderful world of indie comics, and caught the bug for collecting action figures. Definitely would have stayed longer if I could, and did not regret the experience whatsoever.