Gorgeous Guys, Beautiful Books, and Occasional Vampires discussion

Book Discussions > Uglies

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Courtney (new)

Courtney I haven't read this..... yet

message 2: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samanthan) This book rox! I love Tally and Zane.

message 3: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 476 comments I liked the first three book in the series but I found Extras a little disappointing. Team Zane or Team David??? Team Zane all the way!

message 4: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) I liked all the books, but I prefer Uglies! :) I found it the most interesting. I kind of forget who Zane is though... but I did like David better, I think! (:

message 5: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samanthan) I love these books to death. And their author. I call myself a Westerhead, lol. I am Team Zane all the way!!
Spoilers for people who haven't read all the books!

It broke my heart when Zane died. I liked him way better than David, and it was so sad because Tally was really mean to him right before he died. Even though he's not my favorite, I was happy for Tally when she and David hooked up again in Extras, because she deserves happiness.

message 6: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) **SPOILERS for people who haven't read the books**

Ohh, yeah.. now I remember who Zane is. I was soo sad when Zane died! And, if I remember correctly, Tally just left him there and went with David to get away from the.. police people.

Yeah, Tally does deserve happiness, I like when she's hooked up with David.. they seem good together.

message 7: by Kat (new)

Kat (acharb11ymailcom) | 70 comments I'm in the middle of reading UGLIES. I have to say...the first half seemed to drag on, but seems to be picking up. Reminds me slightly of Hunger Games.

message 8: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) Oh really? I never made that connection, but then again I read The Hunger Games months after Uglies LOL. Are you enjoying it so far?

message 9: by Kat (new)

Kat (acharb11ymailcom) | 70 comments OK...finished Uglies today...and already bought Pretties. Its not that I'm in love with the series, but I really want to see how the story plays out.

Hunger Games I finished months ago and LOVED IT!!! I've already read Catching Fire which I also loved...I can't wait for Book 3!

message 10: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) There's going to be a third book after Catching Fire?! WOOHOO! Did you like Catching Fire, like, was it better than The Hunger Games?
I liked the Uglies series, I didn't really like Extras as much though!

message 11: by Kat (new)

Kat (acharb11ymailcom) | 70 comments hmmm..I would say I liked Hunger Games slightly more than Catching Fire, But I still LOVED Catching Fire---I finished it within 3 hours.

message 12: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) Wow, that's pretty good :)

message 13: by Kat (new)

Kat (acharb11ymailcom) | 70 comments I started Pretties today...seems good so far

message 14: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) Yeah, Pretties is pretty good :) Hope you enjoy it!

message 15: by Kat (new)

Kat (acharb11ymailcom) | 70 comments Ok..so I finished Specials today (which I really liked!). I was reading the back of Extra's....ummm is Tally actually in the book or is this just some random continuation of the story with none of the original Uglies characters?

message 16: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) As far as I remember, she's not in it.

message 17: by Kat (new)

Kat (acharb11ymailcom) | 70 comments what the????

message 18: by Kat (new)

Kat (acharb11ymailcom) | 70 comments But why would he finish Specials like that.....? I wish I hadn't bought Extras.

message 19: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) LOL, I could be remembering wrong but I'm pretty sure that Tally isn't in Extras.

message 20: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 476 comments I haven't read it in ages but I think she's in it, right at the end, but only for a very small part. As for the storyline, it's completely different to the previous three books.
To be honest, I regret reading Extras as well, I just don't think it ties in very well with the others.

message 21: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) I agree with you Catherine. Extras wasn't at all as good as I thought it would be.

message 22: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 476 comments I know, I feel like the author only wrote it because the fans wanted him to, but because Tally's story was more or less finished, he just made something up just for the sake of continuing on the series.
In my opinion, it works much better as a trilogy, without Extras.

message 23: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) Yeah, exactly! I don't even find that Extras really continues where Specials left off. I don't know, I just didn't enjoy it. And yeah, it does work much better as a trilogy. :)

message 24: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 476 comments I've read them all a couple of times, except Extras, which I've only read once. I found the whole plot really weird, and if I remember correctly, didn't have anything to do with the previous three.

So do you remember what exactly happened with Tally and David? Did they actually end up as a couple? Because I sort of remember them staying in the wild together but I'm not sure if it was just as friends or if they were together, and it's really bugging me!

message 25: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) I read each of them once. Well, I read Uglies 1 and a half times, but yeah. :) I don't think Extras had anything to do with the previous three either.

I think they were together in the wild, but it's kind of foggy in my mind..

message 26: by Kat (new)

Kat (acharb11ymailcom) | 70 comments At the end of Specials, David and Tally team up to live in the wild and protect it from city expansion and extraction. I don't think that Tally was over Zane, nor would she ever be. The author really didn't make it clear if Tally and David were togerther romantically or just as a team or together just as default. Who knows????

You know...this might sound somewhat generalized, but every series I read that was written by a woman has entirely different focus on the romance portions of the story than when a man writes a series.

message 27: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 476 comments I don't think men writers put as much emphasis on the romance portions of stories, and they're not as bothered with happily ever afters either, as long as he manages to tie up all the lose ends in the story.

message 28: by Kat (new)

Kat (acharb11ymailcom) | 70 comments and emotion don't come across the same way.....the passion is different.

message 29: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 476 comments Yeah, the romantic emotions are never as intense.
It's like with men writers, as long as they can convey to us that the characters have feelings for each other, then his job is done and there's no need to beautify the whole experience!

message 30: by Kat (new)

Kat (acharb11ymailcom) | 70 comments soooo true. I thought it was hilarious how in the Uglies series, its always a kiss...then later, another kiss....then another kiss. Its like DUDE!!! Wheres the passion in that???? LOL

message 31: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 476 comments Lol! I suppose with it being a YA book, he can't put too much detail into what they do (which is a shame!)But even with the simple kissing, there could've been more feelings involved in it.
Maybe it's just that men see things physically whilst women are more emotional, especially where romance is concerned.

message 32: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) LOL, that's so true. Male writers never put as much emotion and passion as female writers do. It's odd, but it just shows that everyone has a different viewpoint.

message 33: by Kat (new)

Kat (acharb11ymailcom) | 70 comments BTW....still reading Extras...it really is quite boring....and I really really want to start reading something else. BUT! I'm forcing myself to finish it before moving on.

so many other books I want to read...like The Host!

message 34: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) Skim read it! That's what I did, lol. I'm currently reading Glass Houses by Rachel Caine! It's so good so far!! I want to read the Host soon too!

message 35: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 476 comments For some reason, I always have to finish a book, even if I don't like it! I'm planning to re-read the Host sometime, I've just finsihed reading Lord Of Misrule and it was really good.

message 36: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) Oh, I hate just leaving a book unfinished, but there are some books that are just not worth the time it would take to finish them. I've never even heard of the book, Lord Of Misrule. I'll go check it out now!

message 37: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 476 comments It's the fifth book of the Morganville Vampire series! I love those books and I can't wait to read the sixth one but I don't have the money to buy it, so I'm waiting for my best friend to get it and then borrow it from her!

I know what you mean about some books not worth finishing, but I still have to find out how the story ends or I'll just keep thinking about it. But with those books, I just take your advice and skim read them.

message 38: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) Oh, I just finished the first Morganville Vampires book last night! It was sooo good, I can't wait till I get the second book from the library!

message 39: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 476 comments I know, I love Shane and Michael! :)

message 40: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) Yeah.. I like Shane more though! :)

message 41: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 476 comments well...yeah, I have to agree. It's the bad boy thing he had going on, makes him more appealing! To me anyway!

message 42: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) Haha, yeah!! That's completely it, plus he was so nice.. when he wasn't being cocky. :)

message 43: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 476 comments Yeah, but it's just something about how he's rude and cocky to others but yet he's so nice and gentle with Claire. Proves that he really cares about her. Now I'm feeling quite depressed that all these book characters have amazing relationships and I don't :)

message 44: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) I know eh! It sucks lol.

message 45: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 476 comments Lol! I take it you don't have some amazing, gorgeous guy tucked away at home then? I can't remember the last time I had a BF, I've been too busy daydreaming about fictional guys! I think someone needs to give me a slap to bring me back to reality! :)

message 46: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) Hahaa, stop the daydreaming :)

message 47: by Kat (new)

Kat (acharb11ymailcom) | 70 comments YAY...Almost done Extras! And ummmm sort of a spoiler but not really...nor would I recommend this book...so here goes: Tally has finally shown up but...still hasn't improved the storyline much. oh well...should be done by tonight, which means I get to read something new for my Thanksgiving weekend....(yes..it is Thanksgiving in Canada this weekend)

message 48: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) I LOVE THANKSGIVING<3 :) it means 4 day weekend for me :P plus lots of delicious food, :)

message 49: by Kat (new)

Kat (acharb11ymailcom) | 70 comments I love Thanksgiving too....I don't eat meat so I always enjoy the challenge of either coming up with something interesting to make or tricking my guests into thinking they're eating meat...LOL

message 50: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) LOL I don't eat meat either!!! :)

« previous 1

Gorgeous Guys, Beautiful Books, and Occasional...

unread topics | mark unread