I Read Comic Books discussion

Watchmen (Watchmen #1-12)
This topic is about Watchmen

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Brennan | 36 comments I recently finished a second reading of Watchmen and was wondering what the IRCB communities' thoughts on it were. Also saw the theatrical version of the film, also fair game.

Chad | 224 comments I still consider it a classic that I go back and re-read every 6-7 years. Some of it is dated now. It definitely picks up a lot of life in the Reagan era. I typically skip all the Black Freighter stuff on rereads. This is the book that made me a huge fan of Dave Gibbons.

The movie didn't do a whole lot for me. While Zack Snider makes some really visually appealing scenes, I'm not a fan of his grim-dark movies. Hopefully the HBO series will be much better.

Christopher (Donut) | 65 comments People have noted that "The Watchmen ruined everything."

In itself, it was brilliant. A masterpiece. But the ideas behind it, that heroes were basically creeps, led to so much ill-considered "Dark Age" stuff (starting with Jason Todd, maybe?) that there are probably some who would like to retcon the 90s- not just in continuity, but close some of those doors that Watchmen opened.

Mike Rapin (mikerapin) | 365 comments Mod
Watchmen is a piece of its time. I think what Moore was trying to do with the book as a reflection of comics in the 80s works, though the book has some issues when viewed through modern lens.

Nonetheless, it still stands as a book that defined popular comics of the time and, for me, is a classic comic that nailed the unbelievable grittiness of the time. To say that it's a perfect comic is a bit of a stretch, but I find it enjoyable to read when I want to take on something complex and shocking.

As a story, it's unbelievably dense. I don't think I've ever managed to read it all in a sitting, let alone a few sittings. It's very much a "chapter per sitting" read for me--especially given the prose work.

Chad | 224 comments Mike wrote: "especially given the prose work. "

I've always found myself bored with Moore's prose whether it be Watchmen, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, or Providence. I always reach a point of "This sucks. Why am I bothering to read it?" and then skip over the rest.

message 6: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Brennan | 36 comments I note that as of now, every respondent's given it 5 stars.