Haiku and waka discussion

Quotes from haiku poets

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Harley (new)

Harley | 42 comments "Haiku is not a shriek, a howl, a sigh, or a yawn; rather, it is the deep breath of life.""
— Santoka Taneda (Mountain Tasting: Haiku and Journals of Santoka Taneda), p. 31

message 2: by Harley (new)

Harley | 42 comments "Real haiku is the soul of poetry. Anything that is not actually present in one's heart is not haiku. The moon glows, flowers bloom, insects cry, water flows. There is no place we cannot find flowers or think of the moon. This is the essence of haiku. Go beyond the restrictions of your era, forget about purpose or meaning, separate yourself from historical limitations—there you will find the essence of true art, religion, and science."
— Santoka Taneda (Mountain Tasting: Haiku and Journals of Santoka Taneda), p. 31

message 3: by Harley (last edited Aug 22, 2009 05:07AM) (new)

Harley | 42 comments "When composing a verse let there not be a hair's breath separating your mind from what you write; composition of a poem must be done in an instant, like a woodcutter felling a huge tree or a swordsman leaping at a dangerous enemy."
— Basho Matsuo (Mountain Tasting: Haiku and Journals of Santoka Taneda) p. 30

message 4: by Harley (new)

Harley | 42 comments "Every day I find myself in great difficulty. I don't know if I will eat today or not. Death is approaching. The only thing I am able to do is make poetry. Even if I don't eat or drink I cannot stop writing haiku. . . . For me, to live is to make haiku. Haiku is my life."
— Santoka Taneda (Mountain Tasting: Haiku and Journals of Santoka Taneda) p.33. Written shortly before his death.

message 5: by Harley (new)

Harley | 42 comments "Westerners like to conquer mountains; Orientals like to contemplate them. As for me, I like to taste the mountains."
— Santoka Taneda (Mountain Tasting: Haiku and Journals of Santoka Taneda) p.33.

message 6: by Harley (last edited Aug 30, 2009 04:28PM) (new)

Harley | 42 comments "Haiku poets ought to regard all aspects of creation as sacred and important, for each entity has an influence that, if we are openly aware, can be received by us, and which can give us deeper insight into the creation of which we are part."
— Robert Spiess (New and Selected Speculations on Haiku) p. 7. American haiku poet.

message 7: by Harley (last edited Aug 30, 2009 04:47PM) (new)

Harley | 42 comments "An authentic haiku quietly shatters our discursive mind."
— Robert Spiess (New and Selected Speculations on Haiku) p. 14. American haiku poet.

message 8: by Harley (new)

Harley | 42 comments "The haiku that reveals seventy to eighty percent of its subject is good. Those that reveal fifty to sixty percent we never tire of."
— Basho Matsuo (The Japanese Haiku by Kenneth Yasuda) p.6

message 9: by Harley (last edited Sep 05, 2009 01:53PM) (new)

Harley | 42 comments "If we wish to consider haiku as composed of perceptions and silences, the latter are the more potent for evoking insight and awareness."
— Robert Spiess (New and Selected Speculations on Haiku), p. 27. American haiku poet.

message 10: by Harley (last edited Sep 05, 2009 01:54PM) (new)

Harley | 42 comments "In haiku the half is greater than the whole: the haiku's achievement is in what it omits."
— Robert Spiess (New and Selected Speculations on Haiku), p. 26. American haiku poet.

message 11: by Harley (new)

Harley | 42 comments "Haiku are best appreciated through the intelligence of the heart."
— Robert Spiess (New and Selected Speculations on Haiku), p.38. American haiku poet.

message 12: by Harley (new)

Harley | 42 comments "Haiku is the poetry of the healing of culture with nature."
— Robert Spiess (New and Selected Speculations on Haiku), p.47. American haiku poet.

message 13: by Shawn (new)

Shawn (shawnb) | 18 comments Mod
“Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Seek what they sought.” - Bashō

message 14: by Harley (new)

Harley | 42 comments "I've realized again that I can never be anything other than a wandering beggar monk, so I have departed on another journey. Wishing nothing else, I walk. Wherever the path leads me, I go."
— Santoka Taneda

message 15: by Priyanka (new)

Priyanka Bhowmick (priyankabhowmick) | 1 comments Every moment of life is a Haiku..

message 16: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 29, 2014 01:58PM) (new)

Andrew Lansdown, Western Australian poet & novelist, said,

Attempting to say
in one breath one thing that will
take your breath away

The shortest distance is the longest travelled.