Christian Fiction Bloggers discussion

36 views
Climb Every Mountain > Mountain Climbing Q&A

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Megan (celtic_girl) | 6306 comments Mod
Ask any questions here.


message 2: by Sarita (new)

Sarita | 1305 comments WRT:

↦Books may be started at any time, but only the pages read during the challenge count.

Do we restart the start date every time a new mountain is called.
- for example, say on 1 March I'm on page 21 of a book, next mountain is say 18 March and I'm on page 126 - do we start counting again from 18 March at 126?


message 3: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 1508 comments Two questions for me for doubling.

2) "author starts with same letter": would this be first or last name?
Amelia E. Barr or Basil Miller or either?

3) "mountain in title" Would series title count, as in Holiday Hideout


message 4: by writer... (new)

writer... (goodreadscomwriter) | 268 comments Q - re- doubling pgs
Is there any value in doing each of the options ? Or
Is choosing a book covering 1 option the max doubling opp?


message 5: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Megan (celtic_girl) | 6306 comments Mod
Sarita wrote: "WRT:

↦Books may be started at any time, but only the pages read during the challenge count.

Do we restart the start date every time a new mountain is called.
- for example, say on 1 March I'm on..."


No, we don't have to restart the start date after every mountain.


message 6: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Megan (celtic_girl) | 6306 comments Mod
Hannah wrote: "Two questions for me for doubling.

2) "author starts with same letter": would this be first or last name?
Amelia E. Barr or Basil Miller or either?

3) "mountain in title" Would series title count, as in Holiday Hideout"


Either the author's first or last name can start with the letter.

Yes, if the series contains the word mountain it would work too. I didn't think of that earlier, so thanks for your question! :)


message 7: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Megan (celtic_girl) | 6306 comments Mod
writer... wrote: "Q - re- doubling pgs
Is there any value in doing each of the options ? Or
Is choosing a book covering 1 option the max doubling opp?"


No, there isn't any value in doing multiple of them. Doing one is the max.


message 8: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 1508 comments Oh, so if I start a 300 page book from the first mountain at page 1, get to page 75 during mountain 2, and finish it during mountain 3, then all 300 pages will count for mountain 3?


message 9: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Megan (celtic_girl) | 6306 comments Mod
Hannah wrote: "Oh, so if I start a 300 page book from the first mountain at page 1, get to page 75 during mountain 2, and finish it during mountain 3, then all 300 pages will count for mountain 3?"
Yes, in your example it'd count for mountain 3. I was thinking of having it be time sensitive, but thought it could get too confusing, having to remember (or try to figure out) where you were in a book when a new mountain was chosen...not to mention annoying to not have all the pages read count. lol


message 10: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4564 comments Megan, thanks for simplifying! That is helpful with my life being busy right now.


message 11: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 1508 comments That sounds easier! Also means I can read ahead a tad on quieter weeks if I need to (say if there's down time between someone finishing a mountain and the next one getting called).


message 12: by writer... (last edited Feb 28, 2019 11:49AM) (new)

writer... (goodreadscomwriter) | 268 comments Q- re- currently closed bookshelf access?

i'd appreciate seeing participants adding books to the group bookshelf.. a quick and easy book finds location rather than reading time spent scouring through chat comments to find challenge options...

Thanks!


message 13: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) | 9769 comments Mod
writer... wrote: "Q- re- currently closed bookshelf access?

i'd appreciate seeing participants adding books to the group bookshelf.. a quick and easy book finds location rather than reading time spent scouring thro..."


Are you talking about the group's bookshelf? (https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...)

If so, we had to close that because we had some authors/people adding books that weren't applicable to the group.


message 14: by Deanne (new)

Deanne Patterson (cnnamongirlaolcom) | 405 comments So we move on to the next mountain once everyone in our group reads for the current mountain?


message 15: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 1508 comments We switch to each new mountain once one team completes the current mountain, I think.


message 16: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 1508 comments Melanie, perhaps we could have a thread for book suggestions instead of using the bookshelf?

Also, we could each create our own possibilities shelves.


message 17: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) | 9769 comments Mod
Hannah wrote: "Melanie, perhaps we could have a thread for book suggestions instead of using the bookshelf?

Also, we could each create our own possibilities shelves."


That is a good idea!


message 18: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Megan (celtic_girl) | 6306 comments Mod
Deanne wrote: "So we move on to the next mountain once everyone in our group reads for the current mountain?"

Once the top is reached, by one team, then a new mountain is randomly selected for both teams.

Using our current mountain, Black Mountain (Kentucky, 4,144 ft), as an example:

Reader 1 read a book with 400 pages, all read since March 1, but not doubled.
Reader 2 read a book with 300 pages, only 200 pages read since March 1 but the author starts with a B to double page values.

That would give the team 800ft climbed in the challenge, so they would still need another 3,344ft.

I hope this helps explain things better.


message 19: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Megan (celtic_girl) | 6306 comments Mod
Hannah wrote: "Melanie, perhaps we could have a thread for book suggestions instead of using the bookshelf?

Also, we could each create our own possibilities shelves."


I created a thread for this challenge's books: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...


message 20: by Deanne (new)

Deanne Patterson (cnnamongirlaolcom) | 405 comments Hannah wrote: "We switch to each new mountain once one team completes the current mountain, I think."

Thank you, Hannah.


message 21: by Deanne (new)

Deanne Patterson (cnnamongirlaolcom) | 405 comments Megan wrote: "Deanne wrote: "So we move on to the next mountain once everyone in our group reads for the current mountain?"

Once the top is reached, by one team, then a new mountain is randomly selected for bot..."


Yes, thank you for the details. Now I understand :)


message 22: by writer... (new)

writer... (goodreadscomwriter) | 268 comments Megan wrote: "Hannah wrote: "Melanie, perhaps we could have a thread for book suggestions instead of using the bookshelf?

Also, we could each create our own possibilities shelves."

I created a thread for this ..."


Thanks for this and to Hannah for excellent lists!!💗.


message 23: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 1508 comments You're welcome! :)


message 24: by Monique (new)

Monique S. (The Ginger Librarian) (thegingerlibrarian) | 1279 comments In the instructions for this challenge, it is said that, “Manga, Comics, graphic novels, cookbooks, poetry, books in verse, etc. are not allowed.” What does “etc.” mean in this?


message 25: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Megan (celtic_girl) | 6306 comments Mod
Monique wrote: "In the instructions for this challenge, it is said that, “Manga, Comics, graphic novels, cookbooks, poetry, books in verse, etc. are not allowed.” What does “etc.” mean in this?"

Any other type of books that have very little words/text on the page (example: picture books or young readers books).


message 26: by Monique (new)

Monique S. (The Ginger Librarian) (thegingerlibrarian) | 1279 comments Megan wrote: "Any other type of books that have very little words/text on the page (example: picture books or young readers books)."

That makes sense. Thank you Meghan. :)


message 27: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Megan (celtic_girl) | 6306 comments Mod
You're welcome :)


message 28: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 1009 comments Just double checking with this question. I'm currently reading Never Kneel to a Knight and the Mountain we are on is King's Peak. Would this book count toward doubling because there are K's in the title, or is it just the first word in the title that allows it to double if it matches? In this case it would be an N for Never if it is only by first word. I'm not finished with this book, yet, but wasn't sure how it would count. Thanks!


message 29: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Megan (celtic_girl) | 6306 comments Mod
Brittany wrote: "Just double checking with this question. I'm currently reading Never Kneel to a Knight and the Mountain we are on is King's Peak. Would this book count toward doubling because there are K's in the ..."

Just the first letter of the first word, unless it's an article (a, a, or the). In that case you can either count the article or the first letter of the second word.


message 30: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 1009 comments Megan wrote: "Brittany wrote: "Just double checking with this question. I'm currently reading Never Kneel to a Knight and the Mountain we are on is King's Peak. Would this book count toward doubling because ther..."

Thanks! That is what I thought, but I wanted to make sure.


message 31: by Sarita (new)

Sarita | 1305 comments Question/suggestion...maybe it would be good if each team has like a "captain" and co-captain to help keep track of pages read to help you Megan as well? Then when that team has reached the top they can plant the flag until you call it done and than all teams can hold reviews - or at least the "flag waving team" so that they don't lose on the following books read...?

I know for us it helps that Melanie posts the total pages read until you formally update.

Or easiest - each team member just had a total pages at the end of their review to help with keeping track until you call it formally?


message 32: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) | 9769 comments Mod
Sarita wrote: "Question/suggestion...maybe it would be good if each team has like a "captain" and co-captain to help keep track of pages read to help you Megan as well? Then when that team has reached the top the..."

I think that is a good idea...it also would probably help Megan as then she has a running total to double check. :)


message 33: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (last edited Mar 08, 2019 12:13PM) (new)

Megan (celtic_girl) | 6306 comments Mod
Sarita wrote: "Question/suggestion...maybe it would be good if each team has like a "captain" and co-captain to help keep track of pages read to help you Megan as well? Then when that team has reached the top the..."

I love this suggestion, Sarita! If someone wants to do this, that would be great.

Or we could have everyone, if able, add a running total to their posts. Either way works.


message 34: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Megan (celtic_girl) | 6306 comments Mod
Melanie wrote: "I think that is a good idea...it also would probably help Megan as then she has a running total to double check. :)"

Agree.


message 35: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 1508 comments In an author name where the author’s full name appears on the book cover, would the second initial count for the challenge?
Example: Kim Vogel Sawyer for V


message 36: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Megan (celtic_girl) | 6306 comments Mod
Hannah wrote: "In an author name where the author’s full name appears on the book cover, would the second initial count for the challenge?
Example: Kim Vogel Sawyer for V"

If it's listed on goodreads/on the book's cover, as in this example, yes. :)


message 37: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 1508 comments Great! Thanks.


message 38: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4564 comments Megan, may we use the series title for the letter match-up too?

Example:
Verdi Peak
V for Virtues and Valor series
... which includes this book: Temperance's Trial (Virtues and Valor, #1) by Hallee Bridgeman


message 39: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Megan (celtic_girl) | 6306 comments Mod
Andrea wrote: "Megan, may we use the series title for the letter match-up too?

Example:
Verdi Peak
V for Virtues and Valor series
... which includes this book: Temperance's Trial (Virtues and Valor, #1) by Hallee Bridgeman"


No, sorry. I feel it's a little late to be changing this rule, since it could've adjusted past point totals and maybe even results, but if we do this challenge again that'd be a great addition. Hope you understand.


message 40: by Andrea (last edited Mar 09, 2019 09:27AM) (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4564 comments No problem! I couldn't remember if the rule was only for "mountain" or had included the letter. Thanks for clarifying for me!


message 41: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Megan (celtic_girl) | 6306 comments Mod
You're welcome. :)


message 42: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 1508 comments Okay, so I guess it’s pertinent to ask what is the definition of an MC in terms of doubling. I was just using POV characters except for if it was an oldie in omniscient POV, then using a core character. Is that the correct definition? Are you thinking just the few lead characters or are strongly influential side characters okay for this as well?


message 43: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Megan (celtic_girl) | 6306 comments Mod
Hannah wrote: "Okay, so I guess it’s pertinent to ask what is the definition of an MC in terms of doubling. I was just using POV characters except for if it was an oldie in omniscient POV, then using a core chara..."

I would say yes, mostly POV characters. I was thinking when I wrote the rules it would be anyone crucial to the story, which mostly would align with the blurb with the rare exception of a character pivotal to the story that's not listed. (For example: I once read a book in a matchmaker series, the matchmaker isn't listed in the blurb but I would consider her a main character.) I hope this helps.


message 44: by Hannah (last edited Mar 12, 2019 10:13PM) (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 1508 comments Yes, Megan, thanks!

And sorry that I read a bunch of stuff that has irregular blurbs, too! All my dear oldies. ;)


message 45: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Megan (celtic_girl) | 6306 comments Mod
I'm glad it helped. :)


message 46: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 1009 comments Megan -

I just finished a novella collection. One novella has an author with an R name. One novella has a character that I would consider a main character, with some certain events from his perspective in various parts of the novella and his name is Richard.

So these 2 novellas out of the collection can double. Do I try to figure out percentages of the collection that can double and split this collection into 6 different novellas for credit (with 2 doubling and 4 not), or do I double the entire collection?


message 47: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Megan (celtic_girl) | 6306 comments Mod
Brittany wrote: "Megan -

I just finished a novella collection. One novella has an author with an R name. One novella has a character that I would consider a main character, with some certain events from his perspe..."


If the collection is one bind-up book, you would double all the pages. :)


message 48: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 1009 comments Ok, great.


message 49: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 1508 comments Yay! I have a couple story collections but hadn’t asked the question yet.


message 50: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4564 comments That spells trouble for my team, sounds like! Haha!


« previous 1
back to top