Tournament of Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2008 Match-ups > Then We Came to the End vs. Petropolis

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacylienemann) Enter in your predictions!

message 2: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacylienemann) My pick is Then We Came to the End. I haven't read it, but I read Petropolis and I was not impressed. I never cared about the main character or her journey. The writing was more plot-driven than lyrical—and I don't have such a high bar for writing style (although I would like a few passages of intriguing philosophical musings or descriptive passages every once in a while).

Also, the main character was not very thoughtful which creates a problem for a book, especially one that is not beautifully written.

message 3: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 25 comments I'm the opposite: I've read Then We Came to the End but not Petropolis. My pick, however, is still Then We Came to the End. Ferris' weird narrative voice alone to tell a story from an entire office's point of view was amazing. And having worked at an office that took several years to die, it all rang very true to me.

message 4: by Scott (new)

Scott | 50 comments I haven't read either but Then We Came to the End sounds the most intriguing. It gets my pick.

message 5: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacylienemann) Wow. I can't believe Anthony Doerr was so kind to Petropolis. Does anyone else think the judges are being overly kind this year? Last year they were ripping novels apart left and right. This year it's always a tough decision. What's up with that?

message 6: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 17 comments I've read them both and wasn't in love with either; however, the critics seemed to love Then We Came to the End, so it gets my vote!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.