Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > A&U Giveaways - May releases

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Allen and Unwin (allenandunwin) | 54 comments Hello Aussie Readers, here's another opportunity to grab an advance copy of some of our upcoming releases - this time a bumper crop of May titles from thrilling dystopian fiction, travel memoir, a compelling family drama and a beautiful tear-jerker!

First up a compelling family drama, full of suspense and family secrets surrounding a pair of estranged siblings. Life Before tells the gripping story of an ordinary family caught in a terrible situation. What if the worst thing you can imagine isn't the worst thing to happen? How do you go on? And what steps will you take to protect yourself from further pain?

Rohan Wilson, the award-winning author of The Roving Party & To Name Those Lost moves from historical fiction to a suspense novel set in a future not too far from our own. Unflinchingly examining the treatment of refugees and asylum seekers, Daughter of Bad Times is a suspenseful, truthful and compelling novel that explores the truth about a growing inhumanity as profit becomes the priority.

Something a little different here, with a travel memoir telling of what happens when a young independent country girl follows her dreams and goes off in search of adventures abroad. Alice to Prague is an honest, often funny, bittersweet memoir of love, loss and belonging; and of the hard-won understanding around where home lies.

In this beautiful book from Nick Trout a single mum learns that her son can talk to a very special dog - and the lessons the dog teaches will transform them all. Transformative, moving and life-affirming, The Wonder of Lost Causes will break your heart and make it sing - this is a beautiful tear-jerker that will appeal to dog lovers and anyone who loves a great weepy reading experience!

Finally, for anyone who missed out, we've still got a few copies of the darkly funny thriller Hunter from Jack Heath- featuring a unique and fascinating protagonist in Timothy Blake, a cannibal who just happens to be a consultant with FBI, who need his help investigating a serial killer. We've also got some copies left of the funny, charming and captivating novel about books and writing Losing the Plot.

You can learn more about all these books, and request one (or a few) of them, over on our website: www.allenandunwin.com/aussie-readers.

Thank as ever for all your reviews of our books, hopefully you'll find a few more faves amongst this selection.

Also, we'll soon have details of advance copies for a very exciting new book from a much loved Aussie author coming later this year. We'll leave you to wonder who that could be…

message 2: by marlin1 (new)

marlin1 | 380 comments Thank you Alice to Prague has my interest this month😃

message 3: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 4259 comments Thank you A&U. More great reads.

message 4: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 66926 comments Mod
Thanks A&U - lots of lovely books to choose again :)

message 5: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

And wow, that teaser at the bottom!!

message 6: by lola.and.puki (new)

lola.and.puki (lolaandpuki) | 9 comments Thanks A&U - great selection, Alice to Prague has caught my eye

message 7: by Jo (new)

Jo Rushby | 234 comments my pick is Life Before. Thanks A&U.

message 8: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (cloggiedownunder) | 7111 comments Thanks, A&U some great choices!

message 9: by Kylie (last edited Feb 15, 2019 11:57AM) (new)

Kylie D | 740 comments Another wonderful selection thanks A&U, what to choose...

Jülie ☼♄  | 6242 comments Exciting 👏 Thanks A&U!

message 11: by Nicki (last edited Feb 15, 2019 04:36PM) (new)

Nicki Markus (nickijmarkus) | 168 comments Alice to Prague sounds interesting and different. Thanks for the opportunity, A&U.

message 12: by Margot (new)

Margot (jutta1) | 205 comments They all sound fabulous.

message 13: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (krystallee6363) | 1433 comments Allen and Unwin wrote: "Also, we'll soon have details of advance copies for a very exciting new book from a much loved Aussie author coming later this year. We'll leave you to wonder who that could be…"

You have my attention!!

message 14: by Deb (new)

Deb | 194 comments Give us a hint as to the much loved Australian author. You have got me curious now!

message 15: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 3029 comments Thanks A&U I have entered!

message 16: by Dale (last edited Mar 01, 2019 04:10PM) (new)

Dale Harcombe | 5157 comments Another great selection. Off to enter.

message 17: by Allen and Unwin (new)

Allen and Unwin (allenandunwin) | 54 comments Deb wrote: "Give us a hint as to the much loved Australian author. You have got me curious now!"

Okay then, in previous books he's written about art and artists in various forms, and he will be continuing in this vein with his next book…

message 18: by Donna (new)

Donna | 26 comments They all sound great and can't wait to hear about this new book. Love the suspense. :)

message 19: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3434 comments Allen and Unwin wrote: "Deb wrote: "Give us a hint as to the much loved Australian author. You have got me curious now!"

Okay then, in previous books he's written about art and artists in various forms, and he will be co..."

Ooh! I think I might know who it is! If I'm right, I've read one of his before and really enjoyed it, and I see he has another coming out later this year... But I won't steal your thunder, Allen and Unwin!

message 20: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1689 comments Allen and Unwin wrote: "Deb wrote: "Give us a hint as to the much loved Australian author. You have got me curious now!"

Okay then, in previous books he's written about art and artists in various forms, and he will be co..."

OK! Art you say, I love it already.

message 21: by Margot (new)

Margot (jutta1) | 205 comments "Allen and Unwin wrote: "Also, we'll soon have details of advance copies for a very exciting new book from a much loved Aussie author coming later this year. We'll leave you to wonder who that could be…""

OK I think I have worked it out.

The Electric Hotel
By: Dominic Smith
3rd June 2019
https://www.booktopia.com.au/the-elec...

message 22: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Kathryn wrote: "Allen and Unwin wrote: "Deb wrote: "Give us a hint as to the much loved Australian author. You have got me curious now!"

Okay then, in previous books he's written about art and artists in various ..."

Margot did though Kathryn ;) lol

message 23: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3434 comments Brenda wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Allen and Unwin wrote: "Deb wrote: "Give us a hint as to the much loved Australian author. You have got me curious now!"

Okay then, in previous books he's written about art and art..."

That's true! I was just more cautious! But The Electric Hotel by Dominic Smith was my thought!

message 24: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

:)

message 25: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (cloggiedownunder) | 7111 comments That will be on my wishlist

message 26: by Dale (new)

Dale Harcombe | 5157 comments Thanks so much Allen & Unwin for my pack of four books which arrived today. Life Before by Carmel Reilly
Alice to Prague by Tanya Heaslip
The Wonder of Lost Causes by Nick Trout
and The Note Through the Wire by Doug Gold

message 27: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 4259 comments Thank you so much Allen & Unwin. My books arrived today and I can’t wait to read them 😊

message 28: by Kylie (new)

Kylie D | 740 comments Thanks so much A&U, my books arrived today too. So excited :)

message 29: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1689 comments I am a bit behind the times, but I have put in a request!

message 30: by Ro (new)

Ro (romanlovesbooks) | 4 comments Thanks A&U, my books arrived today

message 31: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Markus (nickijmarkus) | 168 comments Thanks for the copy of Alice to Prague, A&U!

message 32: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 3029 comments Thank you for my three books A&U - very very generous!

message 33: by marlin1 (new)

marlin1 | 380 comments Thank you A&U, I’m looking forward to reading Alice to Prague by Tanya Heaslip

message 34: by Deb (new)

Deb | 194 comments Allen and Unwin wrote: "Deb wrote: "Give us a hint as to the much loved Australian author. You have got me curious now!"

Hmmmm, must think......

message 35: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (silphil) | 39 comments Thank you A&U! I got Life Before and The Wonder of Lost Causes yesterday. After an epically bad week I really needed something positive, and this was it!

message 36: by Dale (new)

Dale Harcombe | 5157 comments Read and reviewed The Wonder of Lost Causes The Wonder of Lost Causes by Nick Trout
now reading Life Before by Carmel Reilly
So grateful to A&U