Christian Fantasy Fiction discussion

Looking for Fantasy

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anne (new)

Anne (spartandax) | 9 comments Hi. I found a while back that I love Christian fantasy. However, I find books hard to find, as often they are childrens books, even though many have a lot of pages. I am familiar with Stephen Lawhead, Karen Hancock, Byron Davis. I would love some idea of new books to read which are not graphic sexually. That is why I am hoping I can get some ideas from you all. I like books around 400 or more pages as I am a fast reader, but 350 or more will also consider.
Thanks,
Anne Bernie

message 2: by Shawn (new)

Shawn Davis | 2 comments Anne,

I invite you to take a look at my book, Iman's Isle - A Tale of Lost Treasures. It is 375 pages.

You can browse the book's page on Amazon to get a feel for the story.

Best wishes in finding books you like.

Thanks,
S. A. Davis

message 3: by Anne (new)

Anne (spartandax) | 9 comments Thank you, I will check it out.
Hugs,
Anne
P>S> Did you check out my book?

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Thomson (rachelstarrthomson) | 4 comments Hi Anne,

Of the Christian fantasy books I've read in the past year, some of my favourites are Auralia's Colors and Cyndere's Midnight by Jeffrey Overstreet (the third book in the series is coming out in February -- Me = Really Excited!). In fact, I nominated Cyndere's Midnight for the Clive Staples Award, a new award for Christian spec fic.

I also really enjoyed George Bryan Polivka's Blaggard's Moon, a pirate fantasy.

And if you're interested, I write Christian fantasy as well. Worlds Unseen and Burning Light are the first two books in my Seventh World Trilogy. (Working on the third.) You can download a free copy of Worlds Unseen from http://www.rachelstarrthomson.com/boo... .

message 5: by Anne (new)

Anne (spartandax) | 9 comments Thank you for the information. I will check out everything that you posted later today.
Anne

message 6: by Cassondra (new)

Cassondra | 3 comments Hmm...

LB Graham's Binding of the Blade series
Donita K Paul Dragonkeeper series
Ted Dekker's Circle and Paradise Novels (avoid The Lost Books Series if you don't like Chidren's books, though)
Theodore Beale--Summa Elvetica
Frank Peretti-Piercing this Darkness, This Present Darkness, Prophet,
Kathleen Morgan--Giver of Roses
Jill Williamson--By Darkness Hid

message 7: by Ally (new)

Ally L.B. Graham's Binding of the blade series is an adult christian fantasy series you might enjoy. I don't recall how many pages each one is but they are pretty good sized books. I would really call Frank Peretti's books The Oath and This Present Darkness supernatural thrillers, but I think they would appeal to fans of Christian fantasy.
I hope you don't look down on books written for children or young adults. They might not be as long or as deep as adult novels but they're not any less good because of it. You might try Donita K. Paul's Dragon Keeper Chronicles and Wayne Thomas Batson's Door Within series.

message 8: by Daron (new)

Daron (daronfraley) | 1 comments Anne,

I know this sounds presumptuous to suggest, but my recently published book "The Thorn" is basically "Old Testament on another planet", and is a clean read. It is only 300 pages, but is book one in a series.

I love the fantasy genre, but so much on the market nowdays contains subject matter which many call gritty, or edgy.

I prefer a clean read. Check out the description for the book right here on Goodreads. You can find it under my name, Daron D. Fraley.

message 9: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (discipleshirley) | 2 comments Hello Anne, I don't have a novel lenght christian work finished yet, why don't you try the Magazine called Other Sheep and read my short story titled Goodman Aspen. Let me know what you think. Shirley Bullock

message 10: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (discipleshirley) | 2 comments http://www.magcloud.com/browse/Issue/... I forgot the address to the magazine, here it is. Shirley

message 11: by Cassondra (new)

Cassondra | 3 comments Then there's "The Seer" by Anne K. Riley. It is newly out and an awesome first book in a series. :D

message 12: by Michael (last edited Oct 28, 2011 05:27PM) (new)

Michael Duncan (michaelduncan) | 14 comments Anne wrote: "Hi. I found a while back that I love Christian fantasy. However, I find books hard to find, as often they are childrens books, even though many have a lot of pages. I am familiar with Stephen Lawhe..."

Though it doesn't meet your page count requirements, I think you might like my debut novel: Shadows: Book of Aleth, Part One The sequel "Revelation" comes out in the summer 2012. It is Christian fantasy (allegorical).

Shadows Book of Aleth, Part One by Michael Duncan

message 13: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) Here are some great Christian fantasy books that I've read!

Waterfall (River of Time, #1) by Lisa Tawn Bergren Cascade (River of Time, #2) by Lisa Tawn Bergren Torrent (River of Time, #3) by Lisa Tawn Bergren Corridor (A MythWorks Novel) by Robin Parrish

I would recommend them all! :)

message 14: by Scott (last edited Jan 14, 2012 08:02PM) (new)

Scott Stabler (scottstabler) | 1 comments Anne, I just came accross your thread, and if you are still looking for good Christian Fantasy that is not geared toward children, has purpose behind the tale, is not sexually explicit and over 400 pages (744 to be exact) I would humbly recommend The Knights of the Dawn King by Scott E. Stabler as a novel you might be interested in. You can find reviews, a video trailer, comments from readers and related artwork a the book's website http://knightsofthedawnking.com as well as here on GR.

message 15: by Anne (new)

Anne (spartandax) | 9 comments Thanks, I'll check it out.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Anne,
I put this on another thread, but I'll repeat it here in case you missed it: I'm a great Ted Dekker fan. My two all-time favourites of his are Blink (soon to be made into a movie), and Blessed Child (with Bill Bright). A more recent one that I really like is The Bride Collector. It's not for the ultra-squeamish, but has a strong, clear Christian message. Have you read any of those?

message 17: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) Here is a great Christian fantasy novel!

H2O the Novel by Austin Boyd

message 18: by Todd (new)

Todd Boyer | 5 comments The Consuming: Demon Soul Saga

A christian Fiction Fantasy book unlike any other out on the market. If you want to read something different and engaging then I encourage you to check out my first book, The Consuming. I am drawing many comparisons to Frank Peretti from some readers. My series is engaging to Christians and main stream but still true to my Christian faith. Here are a few links to recent reviews.

http://www.themusingsofabookaddict.co...

http://my.barnesandnoble.com/reviews-...

My book is available at Amazon in both paperback and Kindle versions as well as most other online book retailers and an eBook version is also available on my author webpage at www.outskirtspress.com/theconsuming

Thanks

Todd Boyer

message 19: by Todd (new)

Todd Boyer | 5 comments My book is now available at Smashwords for just 99 cents The Consuming Demon Soul Saga by Todd Boyer

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/...

message 20: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Lucas (vickivlucas) | 4 comments Free today (Feburary 21-21)! Toxic - a YA Christian fantasy!

www.amazon.com/Toxic-ebook/dp/B006X57...

message 21: by Jake (new)

Jake Yaniak Hi everyone, my epic fantasy novel The Punishment of the Gods is available on Smashwords.com. Use this coupon code during the checkout to download it for free this week:

PF23T

If you are looking for a thought-provoking epic fantasy adventure with subtle Christian themes, then head over to Smashwords.com and check it out.

Don't forget to add it to your Goodreads bookshelf.

message 22: by Lena (new)

Lena Goldfinch (lena_goldfinch) | 4 comments Hi, Anne,

My new release, AIRE, is about 400 pages. It's geared toward teens, but adults also seem to enjoy it.

Aire by Lena Goldfinch

View Aire on Amazon

message 23: by Jacob (new)

Jacob | 3 comments My book is Citrene Stories which is 2 short stories totaling about 80 pp. Its probably not the length you want, but it is completely Christian and completely fantasy as it incorporates mermaids, space travel and robots..

Here's the links to buy.
Kindle http://www.amazon.com/Citrene-Stories...

Paperback from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Citrene-Stories...

Nook http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/citre...

Here's my website for more info.

http://jacoblindaman.com

message 24: by Donovan (last edited Mar 19, 2014 12:40PM) (new)

Donovan Neal | 1 comments Anne wrote: "Hi. I found a while back that I love Christian fantasy. However, I find books hard to find, as often they are childrens books, even though many have a lot of pages. I am familiar with Stephen Lawhe..."

Hi Anne, I see this post was posted some time ago. But If I might be so bold to submit my own book for your consideration. The Third Heaven: The Rise of Fallen Stars The Third Heaven The Rise of Fallen Stars by Donovan M. Neal , is the epic story of the fall of Lucifer. I've received some wonderful reviews thus far on Amazon, and its been compared to Frank Perretti, and Ted Dekker. I think if such a story interests you you will like my take on the story. God Bless.

message 25: by Philip (new)

Philip Dodd (philipdodd) | 1 comments My book, Angel War, could be classed as a work of fantasy fiction, rooted in The Bible. It was inspired by Chapter Six of the Book of Revelation, which speaks of the war in heaven, fought between Michael and his angels and the dragon and his angels. The Bible only says that the war happened, but not why, so I decided to write my own version of the events of the war and its aftermath.
Angel War has been chosen as one of the twelve finalists for The Wishing Shelf Independent Book Awards for 2013, I am very pleased to say. The Gold, Silver and Bronze medallists will be announced at Author.con in Manchester, England, in April, 2014.
Available as a paperback since April, 2013, Angel War is now available as an E-book, since Friday, 7th, March, 2014.

Angel War by Philip Dodd

message 26: by Andrew (last edited Nov 21, 2014 11:48PM) (new)

Andrew Partington | 2 comments A Feather on the Breath of Ellulianaen by Robert Denethon Robert Denethon is a Christian. The first book of his series, Feather on the Breath of Ellulianaen, is available for free on Smashwords.

He has a bunch of other books on Amazon, with quite a few good reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Robert-Denethon...

None of his books are graphic sexually, nor are they excessively violent. However, they are books written for adults, not for children.

message 27: by Brae (new)

message 28: by T.M. (new)

T.M. Wallace (tmwallace) | 2 comments Under a Fairy Moon

Winner of the Canadian Christian Writing Awards 2012 in the YA category. It is FREE right now for Kindle and on the ibookstore! Sequel "Wintergarden" just released.

Blessings!

message 29: by T.M. (new)

message 30: by Wayne (new)

Wayne E. (hocp) | 1 comments Below is a link to a Goodreads page I started to acquaint people with a great Christian fantasy series. It has elements of fantasy but in the context of real life. It
is very well done and amazing depths of mystery and plot.

https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

message 31: by John (new)

John Kramer | 2 comments "Blythe" a new Christian fantasy will be released on Tuesday, June 20. Here is the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKjS5...

Here is a summary:

Dark, beautiful and profound.

With a wicked twist.

Blythe takes her stand in a world of physical and spiritual torment, while Aaron confronts the village leaders including his own father to find and free his love after an act of betrayal. The darkness consuming Blythe does not limit itself to her prison. Through trickery, traps, and seduction, the evil that claimed her dupes a growing cross-section of the village until only Aaron seems to have the strength to fight back.

In a work of poetic prose in a timeless setting, this cross-genre work of literary fiction plummets us into the darkest recesses of our world and lifts us to examine the most sublime potentials of our spirits.

message 32: by Aurora (new)

Aurora (aurora_mandeville) | 1 comments Ah shoot, mine are all under a hundred pages (as of right now). But I do have an ongoing fanfiction series that you might be interested in, based on your thumbnail. Though, this is the book Erik, not the movie (wouldn't work half as well with the son of Hades from Heroes of Olympus). ;)

message 33: by Amber (new)

Amber Gabriel | 1 comments Fantasy is one of my favorite genres to read, but the idea of Christian fantasy is somewhat of an oxymoron. Unless it is allegory, like Narnia, or involves the spiritual realm, like This Present Darkness, the question of how to fit God into the picture is a difficult one. Because it is hard for a Christian to find fantasy books to read that are not dark, explicit, or preachy, I started writing my own series, The Edge of the Sword. My world view comes through in the choices my characters make and their consequences without being overtly religious. The first in the series is The Warrior Prince of Berush. There is medieval swordfighting violence, but no explicit sex or language. I would love to recieve feedback if anyone reads it!

message 34: by Snowangel (new)

Snowangel | 1 comments Sounds good Amber, how can I get a copy to read? I prefer paper! Is that possible?

message 35: by Sean (new)

Sean Helms (sirseanmacgregor) | 1 comments Sounds like we're in the same boat. Is your book available at Amazon in bound form or kindle or both? It sounds like something I might like to read.

message 36: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Partington | 2 comments Robert Denethon's Gryphonomicon series has no explicit sex or language and is a Tolkien-ish world with gryphons, humans, dwarves, elves, gnomes, created languages, etc. There is violence and some dark moments and characters, but there is always hope. God is present in this realm as Ellulianaen, which is His name. They are all available as physical books on Amazon.
The names of the books are Gryphon of the Hidden Realm, Feather on the Breath of Ellulianaen, and

Cryptogryph has no swearing and is written from two children's points of view.

The other alternate histories (Steam Submarine, Henry Lawson) are a little darker, but still no explicit sex except the Henry Lawson series has one sex scene, very mild and a little swearing. But that series is probably the most profound in terms of dealing with human identity in relation to God's existence of all my books up til then.

https://www.amazon.com/Robert-Denetho...

BTW confession - Robert Denethon is my nom de plum, I wrote these before the present books I am writing under my own name.

message 37: by K.R. (new)

K.R. Queen | 2 comments Here’s a Christian Science Fantasy trilogy at 695 pages. Hopefully it’s in the neighborhood of what you’re looking for!

https://www.amazon.com/Ethereal-Compl...