Heathens, Pagans and Witches discussion

Practical Pagan > Occultism Today

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) Today I read something interesting, P.R. Koenig wrote:

"Today, in the worldwide circus of the images, occultism is the continuation of fashions, of habits or mannerisms of how to display oneself: pseudo-originality. The occult supermarket is universally plundered and leaves only a completely devalued treasury of total subjectivity. By picking the debris left after the breakdown of the symbolic order, the occultist's cultural reality ends up consisting of slightly differing arrangements of said pieces into signs of strict hierarchies. Normal activities one might expect in joining such a group, such as experiencing, recording and processing are curbed and one is reduced to subsistence on a diet of already fixed images that work in a consciousness dissolving away."

I think a lot of that rings true, what do you guys think?

message 2: by Aaron, Moderator (new)

Aaron Carson | 1216 comments I think it does. I actually work hard to avoid falling into the models and dogmatic rituals as prescribed by traditional occultists. I do think all those traditions are tools to learn from and use according to our level of intelligence and intuition, but without experimentation, I don't think evolution is possible.

message 3: by Aaron, Moderator (new)

Aaron Carson | 1216 comments Probably best not to learn all one's magic from "Charmed" eh?