The Cruel Sea The Cruel Sea discussion

Iron Coffins

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tim Iron Coffins, by Herbert Werner is a great complement to this book. It is the autobiography of one of the few U-Boat officers who survived the Battle of the Atlantic. It sharply brought to life the other side of the story of The Cruel Sea. Has anybody read both of these? Thoughts? Comments?

Martin Hill I've read Iron Coffins two or three times. It's a very moving tribute to the U-boat force. Read The Cruel Sea, as well, but it's difficult to compare them -- the first is nonfiction, the second fiction. Better to compare Cruel Sea to Das Boot.

Dean Snow I've read both as well, only about 40 years apart. I agree they are difficult to compare given the difference between fiction and non-fiction. I do recall Iron Coffins being a pretty sobering read, in the same way Cruel Sea was.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

It's funny- I actually read Iron Coffins right before reading The Cruel Sea (and made a note of that fact when I wrote my review for this novel.) It's kind of fascinating how each book is able to relate the feeling of horror and triumph that went with either posting. In Iron Coffins, I felt a bit of satisfaction whenever Werner and co. would successfully hit a convoy. Having now read The Cruel Sea, it's indeed sobering to have second-hand experience of the brunt of those attacks. Both of them are great books, even if the pacing of both are bogged down by their relative adherence to realism and full disclosure.