Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > do attractive salespeople lower sales?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (last edited Aug 21, 2009 01:29PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments http://lifestyle.msn.com/your-look/si...

Interesting article...personally, I don't like to ever talk with salespeople in stores. Until they walk away, and then I might have a question. But I always preface said question with "I'm sorry to bother you, but do you know where..." etc. And then I try to go find said item by myself...but sometimes they want to walk me there.

message 2: by Jackie "the Librarian" (last edited Aug 21, 2009 01:42PM) (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I think the author of the article was right when she said that making people feel comfortable was the important thing.

Good salespeople will break the ice: "Welcome, let me know if you need any help," and then leave you alone. I've done that as a librarian. If I greet patrons and show them I'm approachable, they'll come back to me with their questions, all the way across the library even if the other desk is closer.

message 3: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I went to Office Max recently for an ink cartridge. I knew exactly what I wanted, and could see where it was. Within 2 minutes, four salespersons (yes, four)asked me if I needed help. Yikes! Overload!

But then when I went to cash out, there were 4 people in line with one cashier open!

message 4: by Angie (new)

Angie (angabel) Larry: Are you SURE you didn't stumble through some portal into Hell?

What's worse than being approached by salespeople is not being approached by salespeople when you need their help and you're with my mother, who deems it rude to go up to one of them and ask for their help.

What I want to know is why they did this with only women. I bet the opposite holds true: guys are more willing to buy stuff if a cute girl is spending their time on them. /heteronormative

I hate salespeople. They creep me out. They always followed me when I had colored hair. At least in the foreign countries I've been in, they follow you in the store not because you look strange but because that's just what they are paid to do.

message 5: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I do not want to talk with a cute girl salesperson. It makes me very nervous.

However, one of my students works at Barnes and Noble, and she's cute, and she says she gets hit on about once every shift.

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i talk to everyone (imagine that) and always talk to salespeople and call them by their name (if they are wearing a nametag). if i have an especially helpful salesperson i will tell the manager what a great job the did or email corporate and let them know. in my opinion that is the best way to insure great service in the future and it rewards excellent service. i am more likely to do that than to report bed service

message 7: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Yeah, I'm the same way. When I ordered a new wedding ring online (I had lost mine in the back field playing football) and eventually had to call customer service the woman on the phone was great, so I made sure I sent an email to her supervisor.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Kevin -- How does that bed service work?

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments ha! oops. Freudian slip?