Art Lovers discussion

Gottfried Helnwein

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan Hansen (meganhansen) | 2 comments That's some amazing photography! Really inspiring and moving stuff!

message 3: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) That sounds sarcastic!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Shocking and interesting I would say.

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan Hansen (meganhansen) | 2 comments Christy wrote: "That sounds sarcastic!"

It wasn't! lol I like Helnwein!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Christy, great pictures!

Sometimes Helnwein's art can be intense to look at, but I think once someone's knows more about him they can relate. His idea on the human being and the human condition are thought provoking to say the least. I enjoy his photo installations.

Have you heard of the installation - "Ninth of November Night"?

[image error]

[image error]

An Installation by Gottfried Helnwein in memory of "Kristallnacht" (The Night of Broken Glass) 1938.
The Installation was erected in fall 1988 on the occasion of the 50th Anniversary of the Pogrom in the night of November 9, 1938. The Installation was placed between Ludwig Museum and the Cologne Cathedral, alongside the railroad track of the central station of Cologne.
A hundred meter long wall of pictures with large images of children's faces, in a seemingly endless row, as if made to "line up to be sorted" - "selected". With the faces of christian, jewisch and handicapped children, that lived in Germany in 1988.
The first panel was white and had only one word written on: "Selektion". I believe the first time the photos were displayed in Cologne, Germany they were vandalized by Neo-Nazis.

The installation has moved to many cities in the last 10 years. I hope to get to see it in person. Sadly, I missed the exhibit while it was in Philadelphia 2 years ago!

message 7: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) Yes, I know of it and I would love to see it myself as well. The odds of that are slim though.

message 8: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Wow, super creepy.

message 9: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8207 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Wow, super creepy."

Yes, maybe I can't appreciate everything and I really find these disturbing. Wish I hadn't seen them again.

message 10: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl I clicked on the thread thinking maybe he was one of the 17th century Dutch masters or something.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd love to hear the photographer/artist's explanation on a lot of these. Some of them send you to the twilight zone. Wow! Some of them shock the senses.

message 12: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey | 201 comments Shock schlock.

message 13: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 06, 2013 12:14PM) (new)

Well they do. lol It was the purpose to shock of course. It worked.