Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Cooking Successes/Failures/Experiments >>boobs>>london broil >> LG and cheese

Comments Showing 1-50 of 155 (155 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I made wild rice cakes today with yogurt, onions, eggs, cheese, and wild rice. I thought they would be more like...little cakes...but they were more like potato pancakes. They looked kind of blah but they tasted pretty good.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I love potato pancakes, with warm applesauce. I think you're creation sounds pretty good, RA.

message 3: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Damn. You're right, Jacks, should have had applesauce, too.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Those sound great, RA.

message 5: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
So, I have another mystery vegetable from our CSA which I just sliced up and roasted with some baby beets, some olive oil, and salt. They were amazing, much better than I'd anticipated.

I was calling it a rutabega, but I described it to my mom and she says it sounds more like fennel. It was about 4 inches in diameter, purple fleshed, white inside, with a peppery smell. It had big leafy greens with purple veins atop which I steamed with some chard. Yes, the 8" leaf mystery vegetable from last week is what I'm now calling chard.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Could it be japanese eggplant?

Or parsnip? (Ok, not purple either)

To my knowledge, fennel isn't purple.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Rutabaga:
It just seems early for root veggies to me.

message 8: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
Yes, I guess it was. It looked like this:

[image error]

But she said rutabegas are yellow?!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Was it enormous, Sally?

message 10: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I have never had rutabagas but I see them at the farmer's market. What do you do with them?

I'm crazy ready for tomorrow's farmer's market. I'm using this cookbook I snagged from the library...

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24...

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments We roast all roots in a little bit of olive oil & sea salt: it works for rutabagas, parsnips, turnips, sweet potatoes, carrots, potatoes, onions...

message 12: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Well, roast my roots!

message 13: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments Okay, I have to brag... since this is the food thread... that I made awesomely scrumptuous vanilla poundcake & chocolate fudge cupcakes with chocolate cream cheese & vanilla cream cheese frosting for my daughter's pirate Bday party tomorrow. They are simply yummy!

Now I'm thinking about opening up a cupcake bakery. Whaddy'all think? ;)

::Sher passes out cupcakes to everyone::

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Follow your bliss, Sher! :)

:::follows Sher's cupcake tray around the room:::

message 15: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments That is just what I'm doing! :D

message 16: by Angie (new)

Angie (angabel) Cream cheese frosting = the best!! :D

message 17: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments yesterday a co-worker brought in some diabetic brownie muffin deals his wife made. in the late afternoon another kid who works with us said "how are the brownies" to which i replied "i had ONE this morning". he didn't get my drift so i told him that i had only eaten ONE in the morning and if they were any good they would have been long gone by lunch

diabetic brownies = bluh

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Brownies are supposed to be bad for you. If they're not, they're not really brownies. Or worth eating.

message 19: by Angie (new)

Angie (angabel) My vegan cookies always fall flat. They aren't fluffy or moist at all. Same with gluten-free cookies, although they still taste yummy. Gluten-free pancakes, however, are the bomb. Maybe the difference is the cookies came from a pre-made mix and my friend made the pancakes just substituting gluten-free flour... Hmm....

message 20: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Yes, I agree. Attempts at healthy brownies are futile.

But now that I think about it I forgot to get honey this morning at the farmer's market. Shit.

message 21: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) honey in the morning, honey in the evening, honey at supper time ....

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I like to chop up red potatoes and cook them on my flat grill, then add some onion and peppers, maybe some string beans, and pieces of sausage. All those ingredients in one bite is yummy!!!!! I love cooked vegetables when they still have a crunch.

message 23: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments BunWat wrote: "You cook rutabagas more or less like you cook potatoes. But they have a different, sharper flavor, so you spice them and combine them differently than potatoes. You wouldn't use them for a mild b..."

FYI, when my stepmother cooks a New England Boiled Dinner, she will boil a corned beef roast and then set it aside to cool so we can cut it... and then use the broth to season/boil chunked rutabega, small red potatoes, carrots, pearl onions, and cabbage. The rutabega is a bright goldenrod yellow when it's done cooking... and it's heavenly delicious - the rutabega and the carrots are my faves.

message 24: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "Yes, I agree. Attempts at healthy brownies are futile.

But now that I think about it I forgot to get honey this morning at the farmer's market. Shit."

Nope - applesauce to replace the oil, and you've cut the fat by more than half, and they're still heavenly.

message 25: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) FYI, when my stepmother cooks a New England Boiled Dinner ....

Oh my, yes. *drools*

message 26: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Stefano wrote: "I like to chop up red potatoes and cook them on my flat grill, then add some onion and peppers, maybe some string beans, and pieces of sausage. All those ingredients in one bite is yummy!!!!! I l..."

Yummy is right!

message 27: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Heidi wrote: "RandomAnthony wrote: "Yes, I agree. Attempts at healthy brownies are futile.

But now that I think about it I forgot to get honey this morning at the farmer's market. Shit."

Nope - applesauc..."

Bullshit.

message 28: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) heh heh

message 29: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) My first cheesecake. I did everything the recipe told me to do, oven temp and time. Took it out. Unflipped the spring form pan and WHOOSH!!!! Oven hot noncooked cheese cake napalm all over my kitchen.

I was not amused.

message 30: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I bet it made your kitchen smell good, though.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Sorry to hear that Stephen, that probably was a real mess, did you stick in a toothpick to test it first? That might have helped

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

We make a thing called Garlic Tomatoes(mix together and let marinate for a couple days), which consists of cherry tomatoes, garlic, onions, parsley, salt & pepper, veg oil & red wine vinegar. I mixed that with cooked shrimp & penne pasta. Had a piece of Pear Custard Pie for dessert.

Hadn't made either of them before, but they will be made again.

message 33: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) Back now in case you missed me. Yeah, it did make my kitchen smell good. This was back in my earliest days of cooking when I still kneaded bread, etc. by hand.

message 34: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I just got some acorn squash at the farmer's market...what do you guys do with acorn squash? I usually do the brown sugar thing...

By the way, is it "farmers market", "farmer's market", or "farmers' market"? I'm guessing the third, since more than one farmer attends...

message 35: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) It's many farmers. They go to a market. When Farmers go to a market to sell their goods it would seem that it it many farmers at a market. They don't own the market. Also, if you asked them which is right they'd just look at you and ask, "do you want them acorn squash or not?"

message 36: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) Yes, but does that answer the Farmers Market grammatical terror? Bun! Salve!

message 37: by Félix (last edited Oct 03, 2009 09:09AM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) I've known acorn squash. Acorn squash is a friend of mine. And YOU, dear Stephen, are no acorn squash.

message 38: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) We should put it all in front of the Apostrophe Placement Commission for a final determination.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I agree. Farmers Market.
I made a really good butternut soup last year with squash, onions, and apples sautéed in butter until they were tender, and then mashed up and simmered in vegetable broth. It was more of a potage than a soup, really.

message 40: by Félix (last edited Oct 03, 2009 09:37AM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) C'est dommage, that potage. (edited for correct spelling)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments No, c'est pas dommage! C'est tout à fait bien, Larry.

message 42: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Bien sur, Jackie.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments So many different kinds of squash, so little time.

message 44: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) It makes me go a little out of my gourd, actually.

message 45: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I miss that.

message 46: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) I just cube it, puree it, and do things to it. hehehehe

message 47: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Thanks, people! I understood all this until the French started:)

Anyway, my kids went apple picking yesterday...anybody pick apples yet?

message 48: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments And I agree, the "Farmers Market" label stands...makes sense now I think of "Teachers Union"....good point...

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

We used to go apple picking all the time, and had cider and carmel apples, now we have an apple tree in the back yard, and get more apples than we can use or give away.

message 50: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) My dad planted an apple tree when we moved to Kentucky from Texas. Over the decades it became a massive source of apples for the neighborhood and anyone we could pawn them off on. Also, tons of wasps loved the apples. I hate wasps on general principles.

« previous 1 3 4
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.