TWILIGHT HATERS discussion

Deep Thoughts > A Thought About Souls

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim Carrow | 111 comments I have no real idea. The lore that vampires cannot be seen in mirrors is often becuase of no soul. However, in Kingdom Hearts, having no soul simply makes you evil. You still feel, think and everything.

Geneva * YukiAoi :3* (ggpet) I think if your evil your soul is consumed by darkness (or evilness lmaoo), but if you are without a soul you are an wondering empty shell with no feelings or emotions, which is more or less what Grace just saiid
XD

message 3: by Ain020596 (last edited Aug 23, 2009 03:22AM) (new)

Ain020596 Hmm, Good question:)
I think they do...
It makes more sense if they do...
If they have feelings, (besides all feelings of evil like jealousy and greed etc. and besides the craving of blood i guess) they should have a soul, because that shows they have compassion or love(no matter how little), doesnt it? If their evil, it does not necessarily mean they have no souls-i think it depends whether your made from evil, or you are evil. If you are made from evil, you dont have a soul, because your every move and thought is bent to your creation, evil. But if you choose evil over good, thus making you evil, then you have a soul, because that shows you made a choice between good and evil and that is your own will-which implies you have a will, thus a soul.

message 4: by Ruchi (new)

Ruchi (ohlookitsruchi) I think what we need to clarify here is the definition of a "soul". I believe that we don't really have souls- your soul is nothing but your consciousness, maybe. Your soul is not separate from your body. Your body IS your soul. Your body is not an empty shell. When you die, your brain stops processing information and there are no more impulses sent through your nervous system, which means that you aren't thinking any more. You aren't aware. You feel nothing. Basically, you're kind of dead. Since vampires still have living brains, then I'm guessing that they also have souls.

message 5: by Nightshade (new)

Nightshade | 1257 comments Okay, I'm a little fuzzy on my views on souls here, so I'm just going to post a bit... it'll probably be confusing, but whatever. :/

I think a body and a soul are two separate things. Your body is, uh, well, your body. You have a head and torso and limbs (hopefully) and a nose and things like that. But I think your soul is your consciousness- sort of your brain? I almost think it rules your brain. You make decisions based on emotion and reason and logic and past memories, but what makes those decisions? Your brain. What makes your brain work? Your soul, maybe?

And now my brain hurts and I'm thoroughly confused.

message 6: by Killer Queen (new)

Killer Queen (evilbutterflies) Body=material
Soul=the non material things you have.

That simple.

message 7: by deliabookworm (new)

deliabookworm | 49 comments Honestly, I don't think we, as humans, have souls. Okay, well, that sounds bad (I'm going to try really hard not to bring God into here, because I will undoubtedly piss someone off), but I just don't believe that souls exist. I think that humans created the concept of souls as an excuse for why we choose to do good things or bad. In other words, our conscience. I don't know if anyone has heard of Phineas Gage, but he had a pole that went through the front of his head, where his conscience was. He, miraculously, lived, but ever after that, he didn't have any concept of right or wrong. If there were a dying toddler drowning in front of him, he would just stand there. So, if souls exist, he somehow lost his.

~ EpicFroggy ~ *Loves Tweedle-Dee!* (bengali208) | 160 comments My thoughts on souls.... hmmm.... well, here goes.

A soul is.... I think a soul is what truly - how do I say this - what truly makes you who you are. I think we humans have many words for soul, but they all mean the same thing. Your soul isn't something tangible, something you can gain or lose, but it's there all the same. Your soul defines the very essence of your being. Everything you are, everything you feel.... it's all wrapped up somehow in your soul. It doesn't technically exist, but we are all aware of it. At least, I am. I don't know if I'd say your soul is the same as your conscience, but I'd make the assumption they're linked. Like, for something to trigger your conscience, it has to somehow relate to your soul specifically. We all have consciences, and maybe what your conscience tells you has something to do with your soul. Like, someone that really loves animals in their soul might feel much more of a tug when they see a starving puppy in the middle of the freeway than most people, while someone who cares about the environment might be more affected by, say, global warming. That's my take on it, but I could be HORRIBLY wrong.

P.S. thanks for starting this topic, Grace, it's make me think about things that are somewhat out of my comfort zone. but that's a good thing. :))

~ EpicFroggy ~ *Loves Tweedle-Dee!* (bengali208) | 160 comments Yeah I suppose... sorry for the off-topic-ness..... that's my specialty! I guess logically they'd have to have souls in order to feel anything, although they could be soul-less and still be thirsty, possibly.... I've come to the conclusion that vampires are walking contradictions and I shall avoid them at all costs. XD

Olivia ^^The Awesome Mushroom^^ (canttaketheawesomeness) | 756 comments I think that souls do exist, because if we didn't, I don't think we would have a conscience. As in, we wouldn't feel sympathy or anything, which we invariably do. I think that everyone has a soul, be it a plant, or a wild/domestic animal, or a human. ^_^

message 11: by ~Perisi Kitty~ (new)

~Perisi Kitty~ . (haikudancer) | 72 comments I agree with you Olivia.

message 12: by Keara (new)

Keara (kearachristine) All the comments are kinda the same on opinion.

My religion doesn't specifically mention souls, more or less spirits. I do believe in souls though, but spirits are eternal whereas souls make you human.

If you want to look at it from a Christian perceptive.

message 13: by Kimathy (new)

Kimathy interesting. i don't know what i think about souls really.

message 14: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Vampires can't have souls because ..... They are not human. In the Christian faith (which is the only one I claim to have any knowledge about) human beings are the only creatures which God endowed with souls and free will. Since the human had to die in order for the vampire to "live" it is essentially a given that a vampire would indeed be soulless. That's not to say that they would be emotionless. Emotions originate from outside stimulus causing chemical reactions in the brain, dead they may be, vampires still have brains that can produce physical reactions.

message 15: by Dan (last edited Nov 09, 2011 08:59PM) (new)

Dan (dan2345) | 35 comments This is interesting. In Dracula, Van Helsing states that a vamire has no soul, and on Buffy The Vampire Slayer, the fact that vampires don't have souls is mentioned over and over again, except for Angel(and later on..Spike) who have souls.

When a person becomes a vampire, they die and thier human soul is gone. Who knows where it goes,limbo, etc. It's replaced by a demonic entity. The fact that a vampire has no soul makes it not feel remorse about killing people.

In Buffy, even though Spike has no soul, he still falls in love with Buffy, tho other vampires on Buffy feel things,the fact that they have no soul just makes them evil and enjoy torturing and killing people.

The Vampires in Blade(and I assume your talking about the movies, not the comic book) were approached from a more scientific perspective rather than a supernatural one, so whether or not those vampires have souls is up for debate.

The vampire having no soul is probably a religous belief about vampires, so if a vampire has no soul, than it is probably the demon inside the vampire that feels emotions. I don't know, thats all I got.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Dan wrote: "This is interesting. In Dracula, Van Helsing states that a vamire has no soul, and on Buffy The Vampire Slayer, the fact that vampires don't have souls is mentioned over and over again, except for ..."

So, in a sense, After Bella becomes a vampire, she isn't the same person, because her human soul is gone? That would make things more interesting.

message 17: by Dan (new)

Dan (dan2345) | 35 comments Avery the link-giver (Girl pigmask *Faec palm*) wrote: "Dan wrote: "This is interesting. In Dracula, Van Helsing states that a vamire has no soul, and on Buffy The Vampire Slayer, the fact that vampires don't have souls is mentioned over and over again,..."

Maybe it would, but the things in Twilight that Meyer calls "Vampires" aren't like traditional vampires (I don't know what the hell they are, but they're not vampires) so the myths and legends about vampires don't apply to them, therefore, Bella probably still has a soul. I don't know, you'd probably have to ask Meyer about souls. LOL...she probably doesnt even know that vampires aren't supposed to have souls.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

...My theory is that she is so illiterate and not familiar with the English language (hence the horrible writing of the books)she might have confused the word "Vampire" with "fairy princess"

message 19: by Dan (new)

Dan (dan2345) | 35 comments Avery the link-giver (Girl pigmask *Faec palm*) wrote: "...My theory is that she is so illiterate and not familiar with the English language (hence the horrible writing of the books)she might have confused the word "Vampire" with "fairy princess""

LOL..."fairy princess"...that's a good one.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Heh thanks i got it from mah buddeh XD