SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

The Time Traveler's Wife
This topic is about The Time Traveler's Wife
All Book Discussions > Time Traveler's wife (spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Has anyone read this book? And what star rating did you give it?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Lu, I am in the process of reading this book. Honestly, I battled to get into it (almost threw in the towel).... but after persevering, its quite an interesting.... rather unusual read. Bev

message 3: by Lu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
I must admit i was confused in the beginning but it all fell into place nicely. I must say even after i finished there are a few things I'm still wondering about. Let me know what you think of it! Can't wait for the movie tho :)

Heidi hi, i read this book last month and to be quite honest i really did not enjoy it at all :-( dont want to give too much away as Bev is still reading it, but i never really warmed up to the characters. Sometimes it was romantic, sometimes it was boring and sometimes things occured and words were said that did not fit into the story.......maybe the movie will be better for me.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Heidi wrote: "hi, i read this book last month and to be quite honest i really did not enjoy it at all :-( dont want to give too much away as Bev is still reading it, but i never really warmed up to the character..."

Heidi, I couldnt agree more... its almost impossible to warm towards the characters... I am almost at the end; so ja, will let you know.

Heidi Claire seems abit needy....plus when she meets Henry(in his 20s) in the Library its kinda awkward cause he does not know her but she knows him and then all of a sudden they in each others arms....and henry beating up the guy in the alley.....that was abit upsetting coz it made him seem abit brutal and the use of some profanity was totally uncalled for.......im not gonna give too much info as i might just give away something you have not read yet....let me know what you think once you done :-)

Heidi oh and the fact that he controlled her life from such a young age.....she had no other choice but to be with him and only him......she kinda lost out on her teenage years and dating etc......all because he told her they would get married.

Im hoping the movie will portray a better view of the book and a much more romantic version.

message 8: by Lu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
I saw the preview a few days ago, and it seems like one big Romance. So it looks different in that aspect.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I would be interested to know what the movies like. If anyone gets to view, please give your comment. It could well be that the movie outshines the book!

Heidi i hope so as the book had potential to be great :-( i hope they soften the characters abit and make them more lovable. As Henry is portrayed as someone who used woman, for example his ex girlfriend and the last 50 pages Claire dissapoints me terribly with her actions. I wanted to read this book and wish i was Claire but while reading it i came to the conclusion that Claire actually got a rotten deal and prefered my own life :-)

Lauren (Sugar & Snark) | 1262 comments Mod
They seam to be playing it up as the next Note Book which is what got me interested in reading it. Im going to give it a try, if only because i have heard such mixed reviews- people seam to either love ot or hate it.

message 12: by Lu (last edited Sep 03, 2009 11:22AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Yea it think its just one of those books. I really liked the book. But get what Heidi is saying, it had the potential to be sooo much better!

Laurence | 3 comments Time Traveler is just beautiful- yes it is flawed in some ways, as are all of us and our favourite books...but it is an important book because it is original and opens up a new method of storytelling. I read it in Italy, looking at the ocean, wondering about the possibilities of unrequited love, and since then have recommended it to every reader I know ever since. I think that reading it requires one thing: you have to believe in love, in that one great passion that redefines you- if you can, then its a magical book which will wake you up in the night to ask you one question: How big is your love?

message 14: by Lu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
I get what you are saying Laurence. I think that sometimes we get stuck in our mood and we see a book differently. I try and be open when reading a book. I like reading different perspectives and seeing different kinds of love.

I also think its about believing in possibilities. Some of us can't read fantasy because some things just sound ridiculous. So yea its about how you look at life.

Oh yea Heidi, you didn't like that she never had a choice than to be with him. I like that idea, i think that we all feel better when we know that great love is possible. lol even if we don't always realize what we want, we will still get it :P

Heidi im a total romantic and maybe the movie will make me warm up to the book abit more but while reading it i really never felt like this was a great love story......maybe my expectations were to high :-( As for Claire having a choice, Henry dated numerous woman before Claire whereas Claire was patienly waiting for his next visit....her life revolved around him and his did not.....or at least that was my perception of the character Henry.

message 16: by Lu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
But in his defense he didn't know about her, but yea he was a bit of a player :P

Heidi LOL......maybe i should read it again in a few years, maybe then i will view it differently.

message 18: by Lu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Heheh at least it opened up some discussions :)
Lauren nominated it for Octobers monthly read (i think maybe too many people have read it already, but we will see). Any good movie themed book that you can suggest?

Laurence | 3 comments Movie-themed book suggestion: Fight Club. Chuck Palahniuk

RE Time traveler: If you are in a relationship that breaks the space/time continuum, then I think the rules change. It's like owning a monkey: when the monkey stands up straight one day and asks if he can sit at the dinner table with the humans (on the strength of his newfound evolution) you have to reconsider the rule about no pets at the dinner table.

message 20: by Lu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Hahaha definitely :) Laurence i will move your suggestion to the movie theme thread. You should go and nominate your book by our SA theme!

Laurence | 3 comments So you have this kind of experience with monkeys too?
clearly none of us are islands.

message 22: by Lu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Lol. Been wanting to ask you, where can we find your book? And what is it about?

I have just finished reading the book and I have to say I loved it. It’s been a long time since I have read a book with such real characters. Which is what made them so endearing to me. I think often we fall into the trap of reading books with these perfect hero's and heroine, whose flaws and faults, if they have any are always some how appealing or at least spun in there favour. (If you know what I mean) These Hollywoodesque icons that are all about fantasy and being bigger, better and more then your average man or woman. I suppose when you are reading a book about time travel that is what you expect, if the premise of the book is that of fantasy why not the characters? But for myself at least, I think it was the very realism of the characters that gave the book such credibility. And beside Clare and Henry weren't that bad! Well at least not the literary monsters some of you implied they were on earlier posts :)
I’m very interested to see if they have put a Hollywood spin on the characters for the movie!

message 24: by Lu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Glad you also enjoyed it :D We should make a plan to go watch it this week :)

On tuesday when you arrive Im not working that day :)

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Well I FINALLY completed Time Travellers Wife... I am left disappointed in many respects... however, it was certainly a "different" read and there were moments I quite enjoyed. I was glad to get the end. I think as a movie, it could be great. Let me know if anyone sees the movie

Steph Cumbie | 24 comments Well I loved it. I can see what everyone means though about the characters & Claire not having a choice. I can't imagine waiting my whole life for "destiny" then missing out on the journey of life. Does that make sense? lol It also made me appreciate MY situation more. My husband works ALL THE TIME and it seems like I'm always waiting for him to come home, get off the phone, etc. This really changed my perspective...at least he's HERE. lol
Can't wait for the movie...prob have to wait for DVD though.

Steph Cumbie | 24 comments Lu wrote: "Glad you also enjoyed it :D We should make a plan to go watch it this week :)"

How was it?

message 29: by Lu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Well i won't recommend it to anyone who hasn't read the book. If you have, you will enjoy it for the simple fact of seeing how others portray their story.

But overall i thought it was ok :)

Denell | 74 comments I saw the movie..didnt you guys think that death scene was hilarious??? The sounds? It was totally overly dramatic!

message 31: by Lu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Lol no, i actually had a a little tear :( Can't remember any sounds?

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Denell wrote: "I saw the movie..didnt you guys think that death scene was hilarious??? The sounds? It was totally overly dramatic!"

What was your over-all view of the movie... better than the book!

Heidi i think she needs to read it again......she read it ages ago :-)

Denell | 74 comments Nope I definately enjoyed the book more...and yes it was ages ago that I read it hehehehehe. I dont think the book translates well into a movie. I was stuck wondering what the point was of the whole plot.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

But that is exactly how I felt throughout reading the book....what was the whole point? The only thing that really happens is him time travelling and that happens from the start to the end….so I found myself waiting all the time for something to happen....turning page after page expecting something but all that happens is him travelling and coming back. What WAS the point of the plot?! I really disliked the book and thought the characters were terrible. I had no sympathy for either one of them. I thought Claire incredibly needy and pathetic...and Henry rude and selfish.

Heidi i think this book was a good topic, lots of different opinions and thoughts on the book and movie :-)

Heidi think they both were abit selfish....esp with trying to have a baby when they both knew that the child would probably time travel too.....do you really want your daughter popping up in different places naked?? and Claire sleeping with her friends husband after Henry dies.....another needy and pathetic moment.

message 38: by Lu (last edited Sep 23, 2009 12:15AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Lol i still liked the book, the movie was only ok (that is if you read the book so you knew what was going on)

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes! Terrible! Especially coz she slept with him previously and supposedly felt sooo bad about doing it. And then she does it again??!! After he dies? And as for having the baby?.. totally agree on the stupidity of that. Why would you even consider it to have a child? And Claire spending her whole life waiting on Henry - never having a choice, now letting her daughter grow up and probably end up doing the very same thing to someone else? Completely selfish...

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Lydia wrote: "But that is exactly how I felt throughout reading the book....what was the whole point? The only thing that really happens is him time travelling and that happens from the start to the end….so I ..."

Lydia wrote: "But that is exactly how I felt throughout reading the book....what was the whole point? The only thing that really happens is him time travelling and that happens from the start to the end….so I ..."
Lydia, I so agree with you.... no substance... one kept turning the pages in the hope that there'd be some kind of "revelation" of sorts... very disappointing read.

message 41: by Lu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
We are going to have even more people to chat about it, seeing as it is one of our BOM's for next month. I am very excited to read spud and the host tho!! Is it October already ???

Amanda-jane (blackcherry) I really battled to get into the book. Nearly gave up a few times! It was a tough read...