Science and Inquiry discussion

The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs: A New History of a Lost World
Book Club 2019 > March 2019 - Dinosaurs

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Betsy, co-mod (new) - rated it 4 stars

Betsy | 1273 comments Mod
For March 2019, we will be reading The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs: A New History of a Lost World by Stephen Brusatte.

Please use this thread to post questions, comments, and reviews, at any time.

message 2: by Rupinder (new)

Rupinder Sayal (RupinderSayal) | 5 comments Great!! I had bought it last year when it came out. I’m looking forward to read it!

message 3: by Betsy, co-mod (new) - rated it 4 stars

Betsy | 1273 comments Mod
I just finished this book. I really enjoyed it. It's actually pretty short and very accessible for the non-paleontologist as long as you don't let yourself become distracted by all the Latin. Here is my review.

message 5: by Erica (new) - added it

Erica | 13 comments I’m about halfway through and enjoying it a lot. This book also ties in nicely with the evolution unit I’m teaching in my biology class right now. I like being able to share tidbits from what I’m reading with my students.

Candice | 17 comments I’m excited to finally read the book club book along with the group! I just started this afternoon and agree that it is very accessible. I look forward to the evolution of birds since I’m an avid birder!

Candice

message 7: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy Mills (nancyfaym) | 293 comments I finally got around to starting this. I'm already in love with the beautiful birdlike, mule-sized fossil they've found in China. Looks like dinosaurs weren't the big, dump giant lizards we used to think they were.

Rumell Khan (RumelltheUltimate) | 22 comments I've read this book 5 months ago and I really enjoyed this book. I love dinosaurs. The Quetzalcoatlus is my favourite Cretaceous dinosaur.

Candice | 17 comments I read it in two days! The author really brings them to life! Great book club choice. 🦖

Candice

message 10: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy Mills (nancyfaym) | 293 comments What a lively book! Truly brings dinosaurs to life in my mind. They really should make a movie about that gay Baron Franz Nopsca of Transylvania. ... what a character. Not only a dinosaur hunter and geologist but a spy in Albania. His story is a book in itself. I was never aware that Europe was just a bunch of islands during the cretaceous. ...inhabited by dwarf dinosaurs and going off on singularity peculiar paths of evolution. Like in the Galapagos, I suppose.
The Giants lived in the Americas and Asia but their European cousins are just as interesting.

Candice | 17 comments Nancy wrote: "What a lively book! Truly brings dinosaurs to life in my mind. They really should make a movie about that gay Baron Franz Nopsca of Transylvania. ... what a character. Not only a dinosaur hunter an..."

You might enjoy Dragon Teeth by Michael Crichton. It’s about Marsh and Cope competing for fossils. I would describe it as historical fiction.

Candice

message 12: by Steve (new)

Steve Van Slyke (Steve_Van_Slyke) | 351 comments He mentions Dinosaur National Monument on the Utah-Colorado border. Amazing place. Don't miss it if you're ever in that area.

For those interested to read more about the dinosaur-bird connection I enjoyed Pat Shipman's Taking Wing: Archaeopteryx and the Evolution of Bird Flight

The discussion about the unique way that bird's breathe was fascinating.

message 13: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy Mills (nancyfaym) | 293 comments Candice wrote: "Nancy wrote: "What a lively book! Truly brings dinosaurs to life in my mind. They really should make a movie about that gay Baron Franz Nopsca of Transylvania. ... what a character. Not only a dino..."
Thank you Candice! I will look for that one, I like that sort of thing. Mr. Crichton must have been a dinosaur fan himself!

message 14: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy Mills (nancyfaym) | 293 comments Steve wrote: "He mentions Dinosaur National Monument on the Utah-Colorado border. Amazing place. Don't miss it if you're ever in that area.

For those interested to read more about the dinosaur-bird connection ..."

Agree. I didn't know birds breath differently than we do! I'm fascinated by evolution and will have to look up that book. Thanks for the hint.

Candice | 17 comments Nancy, I completely agree. I love Jurassic Park!

Candice 🦖

aPriL does feral sometimes  (CheshireScratch) | 231 comments The dinosaurs are so cute, Can I say that? Started reading today.

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) Griffin (alwaysdaddyprincess) (alwaydaddygirl) | 1 comments Aloha,

I am almost done with this! I love it! I like it that everyone can understand this for it helps brings folks to the world of science. I borrowed from my library. I will be buying this book.

Mahalo,
RM
🇺🇸🐾