Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > book dimensions & weight

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by okyrhoe (last edited Aug 21, 2009 04:45AM) (new)

okyrhoe | 57 comments Today I manually added a new book to GR, and I noticed that the info wouldn't go through unless I filled in the fields for width, height, length of the book, as well as the book's weight.

A red alert popped up at the top of the page and the relevant fields were outlined in bold red. After panicking for a few seconds, I eventually I punched in estimated values for the information (since I am in Greece & using metric, while the GR system is in imperial).

Later on I wanted to edit the title/author info of a couple of existing books on GR, and again I noticed that the edits wouldn't go through the system unless I added values for the dimension & weight of the books!

I'm puzzled by this...

TIA,
Olga

message 2: by okyrhoe (last edited Aug 21, 2009 04:49AM) (new)

okyrhoe | 57 comments This is the text of the alert that pops up at the top of the page:

----------
4 errors prohibited this book from being saved

There were problems with the following fields:
• Weight pounds must be more than 0
• Height inches must be more than 0
• Width inches must be more than 0
• Length inches must be more than 0
----------

This shows up even when I tested the following: I click on "edit", and then -without attempting any changes at all- clicking "save".

message 3: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments This is strange but I'm having the same problem. I'm sure it'll be fixed soon.

message 4: by Kathrynn (new)

Kathrynn | 189 comments I got this also. It's being discussed in the feedback group now. Here's the link.

message 5: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments Thanks for the info Kathrynn!

message 6: by Kathrynn (new)

Kathrynn | 189 comments You're welcome. :-)

message 7: by okyrhoe (new)

okyrhoe | 57 comments Thanks for the feedback! Good to know I'm not the only one with the problem.

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael Economy (michaeleconomy) Should be fixed now, sorry about that.

message 9: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42009 comments Mod
Thanks, Michael! It's working properly for me. :)

message 10: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments Thanks Michael!

message 11: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 79 comments Thanks. I would have problems with adding dimensions and weight, cause in Poland grams, kilograms, centimetres and metres. Changing that would take loads of time.

message 12: by Susanna (new)

Susanna (jb_slasher) | 50 comments Anna wrote: "Thanks. I would have problems with adding dimensions and weight, cause in Poland grams, kilograms, centimetres and metres. Changing that would take loads of time. "

Same thing in Finland.

message 13: by Michael (new)

Michael Economy (michaeleconomy) Eventually we'll let people choose metric.

message 14: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 79 comments Great idea.

message 15: by Agnieszka T. (new)

Agnieszka T. (enga) | 4 comments Well, other question is - do we really needed these data here? I get the point of exsistence on websites like Bookmooch, where you send books around, but here? If yes - not obligatory, please, can't imagine myself o getting info about each book :S

message 16: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42009 comments Mod
The reason for the data will become clear in time.

message 17: by Michael (new)

Michael Economy (michaeleconomy) MuHAHAHAHAHA

message 18: by Agnieszka T. (new)

Agnieszka T. (enga) | 4 comments Hopefully it will not be obligatory. Or I'll have some problems with adding books then - maybe other data will be not so though too check, but weight can be a problem. Well, let's see...

message 19: by Michael (new)

Michael Economy (michaeleconomy) We pull this data from amazon on all new books, and it's not required for adding books ever, there was a slipup last week that made it required on accident.

message 20: by Agnieszka T. (new)

Agnieszka T. (enga) | 4 comments Michael - most of the books in Polish as far as I know are not on amazon ;) As well as many other books :D

Yes, I'm happy it's not required now and I hope it'll stay like that forever ;) Especially that right now the data is in the metric system which is not used here. Which means calculating even more ;)

message 21: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 79 comments After importing those Polish books avaiable on Amazon there are loads of mistakes (but correcting is a work for librians).