Our Shared Shelf discussion

Jan/Feb: The Things I Would.. > What was your favourite story/poem/piece of work in this collection?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gabby (new)

Gabby  Thorpe (diaryofabibliophagist) | 51 comments Interested to hear people's highlights! For me, it was The Insider and also Cutting Someones Heart Out With A Spoon which I found really touching. The Insider was particularly interesting because I have a lot of time for Camus and I'm always interested to hear stories from the point of view of more under-developed characters who are often the most interesting (see of course Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys).

message 2: by Marcia (new)

Marcia Malory (marciamalory) I enjoyed Terramezza. I thought it was quite perceptive and comprehensive.

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 27, 2019 08:36AM) (new)

Hard to tell which one is my favourite.

I like Battleface by Sabrina Mahfouz because we witness the underlying threat from one part (Camilla being able to do everything to get what she/they want) and Ablah who tries everything to "escape" and she is back into the corner without that many solutions in her hands. I think the end that does not tell us what will happen is well set up!

As I am reading this book again, I admit I like Mezzaterra by Ahdac Soueif. Some kind of peaceful sanctuary is described in this non-fiction essay and facts are brought in attempt to explain why this peaceful place has been destroyed. Basically, it take a pure land where people are happy and then it describes how the crawling corruption (political etc...) ate it little by little. It is well brought, then we have this little sentence in our head "What have we done?!!"

message 4: by Katrin (new)

Katrin Bielski | 8 comments My absolut highlight was also battleface. I would love to see it actually played out... The rythm is extraordinary. The Story develops into something so up to date in a kind of duel.

Fallan (msyvettereads) | 7 comments I am about halfway through this book and I am so moved by the stories so far. I've had to put it down and take a deep breath after certain passages. They have already broadened my mind and I find myself passing the book to the person next to me, strangers even saying "oh my goodness, you have to read this section right here!" Uomini Cadranno, and This Body is Woman are so...indescribably poignant.

message 6: by Anna (new)

Anna | 38 comments Fallan wrote: "Uomini Cadranno, and This Body is Woman are so...indescribably poignant. ..."

Uomini Cadranno was also one of my favourite poems, it was filled with raw emotion, yet also empowerment.

But the piece I liked the most was 'Under the Cypress Tree.' I think it was such a beautiful story about charitable love.

message 7: by Jocelynne (new)

Jocelynne Lowans | 3 comments I was struck by "Take Me There, " "The Insider, " "Stand By Me, " and the poems of Shazea Quraishi. "The Insider" was impactful. The collection, overall, has given me a great deal to consider.

message 8: by Hatice (new)

Hatice Kose (haticeykose) | 4 comments Anna wrote: "Fallan wrote: "Uomini Cadranno, and This Body is Woman are so...indescribably poignant. ..."

Uomini Cadranno was also one of my favourite poems, it was filled with raw emotion, yet also empowermen..."

I'm with Anna on Uomini Cadranno - it was so raw and so honest.

I also loved 'This Body is Woman'. These works are so brave and so moving I felt their experiences and emotions.

message 9: by Joana (new)

Joana Can | 1 comments Uomini Cadranno was one of the most remarkable poems in this collection... but to be fair, the entire book showed me a completely new perspective of the muslim women. I'm really glad I read it.

message 10: by Anca (new)

Anca (ehhey) | 4 comments The entire book is great, it works well as a whole and it gave me plenty to think about. I am extremely impressed by the courage these writers posses. I loved all the poems and I can see myself rereading them many times in the future, for inspiration. If I had to pick one that I liked the most, it would be "This body is Woman", simply amazing.

message 11: by Jen (new)

Jen | 4 comments I am only about 1/4 into the book, but very glad I joined in this reading. I don't have a favorite, yet, but find I need to read a few, then put it down for a bit. I like books like this that cause a change inside me. It is changing how I see not only Muslim women, but the world, as well.

message 12: by Lujain, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Lujain Mahmoud (lujain_mahmoud) | 6 comments Mod
I didn't go through all the pieces, but so far my favorites are Mazzaterra by Ahdaf Soueif and Us by Chimene Suleyman.

message 13: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (j3nettekoven) My two favorite stories were "Under the Cypress Tree" by Fadia Faqir and "Blood and Broken Bodies" by Shaista Aziz. I really enjoyed how in "Under the Cypress Tree" these two women who have nothing in common and would most likely never have met had they not been neighbors, created a brief but unique friendship. It shows that despite all of our differences a little kindness can really go a long way. "Blood and Broken Bodies" went in a very different direction and made a powerful statement regarding the treatment of women. This story was short but has really stuck with me since I read it.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello :)

It's hard to tell which one was my favorite, it actually depends of the topic they are referring to. For me each story reflects a society subject in almost every western country, allowing the reader to have a external discret sight on the divergence of culture due to religion principles, for that reason I actually love them all, and I will definitely have told those stories as an example to someone who would think about those subjects to find solutions, for example, to help on a better chosen or not Immigration... As a dreamer, I loved : "My Other Half" from Samira Shackle, and more specifically the introduction where she opens her heart to the reader and shares with us a part of her being broken by deceit in love...

🧐🧐🧐💖💖💖