The Common Room- A Harry Potter Book Club discussion

Book 1: The Sorcerer's Stone > Episode 3: Rebel Rebel

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessie, Headmistress (new)

Jessie Stardust (StardustLegacy) | 42 comments Mod
This week we are reading Book 1 Ch.8-9 and talking about ways we see rebellion (Harry's and others') in this section. Feel free to chime in with thoughts about this or ANYTHING you want to discuss from Ch 8 & 9.

message 2: by Jessie, Headmistress (new)

Harry has shown his rebellious nature a bit before this section, in the smart answers he sometimes gave the Dursley's, for example. Also when he took the high road (and maybe harder road) of choosing to befriend Ron instead of Malfoy on the Hogwarts Express. But I think this section is where we really see Harry pushing the envelope. One example is the topic of this week's poll. Harry goes against Madam Hooch's very clear instructions that no one fly their broomsticks while she accompanied Neville to the Hospital Wing. Harry does fly, soaring after Malfoy (who we always suspected wouldn't give a toss about rules) in order to get back Neville's Rememerall. I think this a clear example of Harry rebelling but he is not rebelling for the sake of it, but in order to do something brave and important. We see a couple more examples in the text. What sticks out to you?

Grace( not available for a while) | 9 comments Jessie wrote This week we are reading Book 1 Ch.8-9 and talking about ways we see rebellion (Harry's and others') in this section. Feel free to chime in with thoughts about this or ANYTHING you want to discuss from Ch 8 & 9.
In the beginning of the 8th chapter JK Rowling beautifully described the castle giving us the impression that it may actually be alive ....with all those moving stairs and class.... In these chapters we are also introduced to various subjects taught at Hogwarts along with quidditch. Well the Potions are real disaster and having those lessons with Slytherine doubles the trouble . Harry (and we) also learns that magic isn't just about waving a wand and saying bunch of funny words. In short we are introduced to wizarding education ... Which lecture did you enjoy the most?

message 4: by Juliet (new)

Juliet | 4 comments Gryffindors are so rebellious when important issues are at stake. That's when the bravery kicks in. Harry is always going to do what his gut tells him even if it gets him into trouble. I always tell my fiancé that I am not stubborn, I'm a Gryffindor!

message 5: by Jessie, Headmistress (new)

You're right, Grace, we really start to get an idea here of what the next several years will be like for the students and what a magical place Hogwarts is. So many crazy things like food appearing on plates, portraits that demand passwords, and staircases that move. But this exists alongside the same kind of stuff we have in muggle schools like cliques, strict teachers, and homework! I love how we have the arcane and the profane side by side!

message 6: by Gem (new)

Gem (Texasgemini) | 13 comments I'm not even sure Harry considered it rebellious to go after the remembrall. I see Harry as someone who has spent yrs at the hands of bullies and he's just flat out tired of it. Like a good rebellion.

message 7: by Jessie, Headmistress (new)

The latest Common Room episode is up on doublepotions.com or you can download from iTunes, Google Play or Stitcher
https://doublepotions.com/2019/01/31/...

Jessie's amateur analysis is here https://doublepotions.com/2019/01/26/...