YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
CHALLENGE ARCHIVE > The Gimme a 'V' Challenge! - February 2019

Comments Showing 1-50 of 445 (445 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

message 1: by Sarah (last edited Feb 23, 2019 05:45AM) (new)

Sarah (bookworm_sarah) | 70496 comments Mod
The Gimme a 'V' Challenge

This will be a team reading challenge which will run from February 1st 2019 to February 28th 2019. Results will be announced on March 1st 2019.

To complete this challenge, participants will be split into teams. Each team will read books of their own choice (which fit the challenge guidelines), and points will be awarded based on the length of the book, and whether you have buddy-read your book. You can also earn bonus points for reading books with the letter 'V' in the title or author's name.
You may also choose to take part in this challenge as a solo participant ☺

Link to team threads - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

message 2: by Sarah (last edited Jan 13, 2019 02:08AM) (new)

How it works:

For this challenge, you may read books of your own choice, but if you would like to earn some bonus points, then you need to read books which have the letter 'V' in the title or author's name (for V alentine's Day)☺
Eg: Vicious, Vanishing Girls, Velvet Kisses

For each 'V' that appears in your chosen books title or author's name, you will receive 5 bonus points (up to a maximum of 20 bonus points per book). So for example -
Vicious (Villains, #1) by V.E. SchwabVicious by V.E. Schwab would earn you 10 bonus points.
Vanishing Girls by Lauren OliverVanishing Girls by Lauren Oliver would earn you 10 bonus points.
A Very Large Expanse of Sea by Tahereh MafiA Very Large Expanse of Sea by Tahereh Mafi would earn you 5 bonus points.

*Please note - you may use other editions of a book which have a different title, as long as the title is made up of English letters. Please link to the edition you are using when posting your review ☺
Example -
Les Âmes vagabondes by Stephenie Meyer would earn you 5 bonus points
Città di vetro by Cassandra Clare would earn you 5 bonus points
Harry Potter ja viisasten kivi by J.K. Rowling would earn you 10 bonus points.

*You are also welcome to read books which do not have any V's in the title/author's name, you just won't earn any bonus points.

*Only titles and author's names count, anything after a colon ':' won't count, and neither will series names. So for Vicious, you would earn 5 points for the 'V' in the title, and a further 5 points for the 'V' in the author's name, you would not earn any bonus points for the 'V' in the series name.

*If a book has more than one author, all author names will count as long as they are authors, and not illustrators, translators, or editors.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Rules/Guidelines:

* Books must be read between the 1st of February and the 28th of February inclusive. Books started before February may be used, but you will only earn points for pages read in February, and will not earn any bonus points. Please let us know how many pages you have read in February when posting your review.

* Books must be over 100 pages long, without illustrations/photographs etc.
-- 150 pages minimum for middle-grade books.
-- 300 pages minimum for poetry, books written in verse, manga/graphic novels, books which have some illustrations, and plays.
-- Books which are mainly illustrations, such as some children's books, picture books, and some non-fiction books etc. cannot be used as part of this challenge.

* Middle-grade, and children's books without illustrations/photographs will earn 1 point for every 150 pages due to the reduced word count. This applies to all books which are tagged 'middle-grade' or 'children's' more times than they are tagged YA. This includes Goosebumps books, The Wind in the Willows, the Magisterium series, and The Secret Garden to name a few.

* Books which are illustrated or have photographs will receive 1 point for every 300 pages. If your book has an illustrator listed or is tagged 'illustrated', then it will fall into this category. This includes books such as The Spiderwick Chronicles, A Series of Unfortunate Events, books by Roald Dahl, Doll Bones, and Charlotte's Web to name a few.

* Manga, graphic novels, plays, poetry, and books written in verse will receive 1 point for every 300 pages due to reduced word count. If your book is tagged 'Sequential Art', 'Graphic Novels', 'Comics', 'Manga', 'Poetry', 'Verse', 'Play', or words to that effect, then it will fall into this category.

* If your poetry book or graphic novel does not meet the minimum page count, we will allow you to add together the page counts of 2 or more books to make it to the minimum page count. Books must be posted at the same time.

* If you are reading novellas which are less than 100 pages long, you may also add together the page counts of one or more novellas of less than 100 pages, to get to the minimum page count of 100 pages. Books must be posted at the same time.

* You are welcome to read physical books, ebooks, and audiobooks for this challenge, and you are also welcome to read in any language as long as you provide us with an English translation of your review/updates either as part of your review, on your team's review thread, or by personal message to either Abbie or myself.

* If for any reason you are unable to publish your review on Goodreads, it can also be sent to either myself or Abbie via personal message. Please let us know that you will be doing this before you do it though, and please continue to post on your team's review thread as normal, and stating 'review sent to Sarah/Abbie by personal message' after 'Review:'.

* Re-reads are allowed as long as it has been at least a year since you last read the book, and you write a new review or updates. We recommend that you post on your review '2019 re-read', or something to that effect so that we can easily see what your new review is.

*A review or 4 detailed updates will be required for each book read.

*Buddy reads must have a minimum of 4 comments to count, and comments must be detailed, and about the book. We also expect you to discuss the book with your buddies, not just post updates and leave.

* Buddy reads must take place within this group (YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥) to gain the extra points. You can see which buddy reads are already planned each month here - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

* You should not start a buddy read more than 7 days before the start date, or more than 14 days after the start date, or the last comment on the thread, whichever is later. If you do need to change the date, check with your buddy as they may also be able to start early/late with you.

* Please post the link to your buddy read along with the book you are reading and the start date on the 'Planned Buddy Reads' list for the correct month - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

* There are no set books which need to be read, any book which fits within the rules will count, so books can be chosen by the reader. Please check with us before reading if you are unsure whether your book counts or not.

* Bonus points will be given where the letter 'V' appears in the title or author's name of your chosen book, up to a maximum of 20 bonus points per book.

* Higher page count editions may be used when claiming points for pages, but page counts for iphone/ibook editions will not be accepted, and neither will page counts for audiobook editions, or 'flipback' or dwarsligger editions (you are still welcome to read in these formats, but must use a different page count). We also request that you leave us a link to the edition with the page count that you are using, if the book has multiple editions with different page counts.

* Please do not go back and alter posts once they have been counted, if you need to make a change, please make a new post on your team's review thread, with a link to your original post, and then explain the change, for example; a higher page count edition has been found, or a buddy read needs to be added, and please include links.

* We will be tracking the number of books that people are reading, to see whether they are reading the minimum number of books required for the level of team that they are on. If over a period of several months you are consistently reading less than the required number of books, we will ask you to move to a lower level of team, or go solo. This is because it is unfair to other team members if you continue to sign up for a medium/serious team, yet are only reading 2 books a month.

* Our regular challenge rules can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

*** If you are not sure if your book counts, please ask before you read it. Questions can be posted on this thread, or sent by personal message to either myself or Abbie.***

message 4: by Sarah (new)

* Points will be awarded based on pages read:
*100 - 199 pages = 1 point
*200 - 299 pages = 2 points
*300 - 399 pages = 3 points
*400 - 499 pages = 4 points
*500 - 599 pages = 5 points
*600+ pages = 6 points
(maximum of 6 points per book)

* Buddy reads DOUBLE your points score for pages, so a 300 page book + buddy read = 6 points. 600 page book + buddy read = 12 points. (Bonus points for buddy reads will only be given if the buddy read has taken place in our group.)

*Mods will keep track of each teams points, using the following system -

Team Name:

__________|_Books_|_Buddy_|__Page____|_Bonus_|__Total
__________|_Read__|_Reads_|__Points__|_Points|

Name______|___0___|___0___|_____0____|___0___|_____0
Name______|___0___|___0___|_____0____|___0___|_____0

Team______|___0___|___0___|_____0____|___0___|_____0

Please note - we will be tracking how many books you have read, but you will not receive points for this column. This is to allow us to see whether you are reading the minimum number of books required for the level of team that you have requested to be on. You will receive a '1' for every book over 100 pages long, or for every 300 pages of graphic novels, poetry etc, that you have read.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

This challenge will be a team challenge. When signing up please let us know if you want to join a 'Serious' team (reading 12 books or more each), a 'Medium' team (reading 8-12 books each) or a 'Just for fun' team (reading any number of books each).

***Please only sign up for 'Serious' or 'Medium' if you are able to read the minimum number of books for that level of team, so 3 books a week for Serious, and 2 books a week for Medium.***

You may also sign up as a solo participant, and will compete against your other solo competitors, as well as those people in teams. An individual leaderboard will be published at the end of the challenge.

Teams should be posted by January 25th at the latest. If you wish to join a 'Serious' or 'Medium' team, please sign up as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. You may join as a solo player, or join a fun team at any time.

Thank you! ☺

message 7: by Sarah (new)

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan (jazzescrapper) | 2016 comments I would like to sign up please for fun. Thank you!

message 9: by Quirks (new)

Quirks (quirkyopinions) | 4155 comments Medium please!

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Added ☺

message 11: by Irerahs (new)

Irerahs | 4 comments I would like to be in a ”just for fun” group, please!

message 12: by Irerahs (new)

Irerahs | 4 comments I would like to be in a ”just for fun” group, please!

message 13: by Becky (new)

Becky  | 442 comments Fun for me please

message 14: by Barbie (new)

Barbie | 26 comments I would like to "Just for fun" part. :D

Bellatrix *The Amazon Star* (BellatrixTheAmazonStar) | 183 comments just for fun please :)

message 16: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (Bookbuyer) | 18489 comments Medium please and thank you. :)

message 17: by Lesa (new)

Lesa Divine | 1091 comments Fun please....

message 18: by Eva Luna (new)

Eva Luna (Evalunadesie) | 930 comments Serious please! :D

message 19: by Abby (new)

Abby | 4879 comments Medium

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Added☺

message 21: by Krystal (new)

Krystal Gibson | 421 comments Solo please :)

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Added ☺

message 23: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) | 1579 comments Serious please

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Added ☺

message 25: by Sierra (new)

Sierra Lynn | 1311 comments Medium please

message 26: by Amanda Setasha (last edited Jan 12, 2019 07:47AM) (new)

Amanda Setasha Hall (AzenaKira) | 971 comments Medium please.

I'll definitely be reading less books next month as I'll be out of town on a business for two full weeks with no time to read.

message 27: by Abi (new)

Abi (BooksA144) | 346 comments Serious please

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Added ☺

message 29: by Jill (new)

Jill | 1291 comments Medium please

message 30: by Raghad (new)

Raghad H | 407 comments medium please :)

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Added ☺

message 32: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 6422 comments Medium please.

message 33: by Shannara (new)

Shannara Petty | 259 comments Just for fun please!

message 34: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 2913 comments Fun please (:

message 35: by Sarah (new)

Added ☺

message 36: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (Bookbuyer) | 18489 comments Can I switch to serious? I think I'll read more than I think. So far I'm doing better than I thought already this month. :)

message 37: by Alexia (new)

Alexia (lovingthevillain) | 104 comments Just for fun please :)

message 38: by Brooke (new)

Brooke ♥booklife4life♥ (booklife4life) | 4365 comments Fun please

message 39: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (LoveBeingVegan) | 11197 comments Medium please. Thank you!!

message 40: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy (RgbIII) | 381 comments Serious please. (:

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 2566 comments I'm in for Serious please!

message 42: by Sanah (new)

Sanah Shabbir (szs_30) | 454 comments serious please!

message 43: by Sarah (new)

Added ☺

message 44: by Sarah (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' call me bookbuyer. ^-^ wrote: "Can I switch to serious? I think I'll read more than I think. So far I'm doing better than I thought already this month. :)"

Sure, no problem ☺

message 45: by ❤ Aly ❤ (new)

❤ Aly ❤ | 3529 comments Serious please

message 46: by Sarah (new)

Added ☺

message 47: by Slytherpuff (new)

Slytherpuff | 981 comments I'll go for a fun team to start.

message 48: by Leah (new)

Leah | 985 comments Serious, please.

message 49: by Sarah (new)

Added ☺

message 50: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 5481 comments Had a quick look through TBR shelves and kindle - plenty of choices. Please sign me up for serious.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.