Roger Zelazny discussion

Amber > 1 - Nine Princes in Amber - No Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments Discussion for Nine Princes in Amber by Roger Zelazny only. No spoilers, please!

message 2: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) I'm only 45 pages in and I have to say I'm intrigued. I can't wait to get some things done so I can go and read.

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 84 comments I finished it last night. I knocked it out in three sittings total. Very nice work. I like the way Zelazny blended his intrigue with fantastical elements and a touch of humor.....

message 4: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments Wow! That was a fast read, Chris.

Since folks are getting this done already, I'm going to put up topics for the next couple of books. I know they're not on the to-read list, but I find they're like peanuts. Once I start, I just have to keep reading.

message 5: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments "Nine Princes" is going to be my lunch box read next week. I don't like taking hardbacks to work, as a general rule. It's too easy to spill on them as I sit in the truck eating lunch.

message 6: by Jackie (last edited Aug 29, 2009 03:36PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) Just noticed 'Keeper of the Pattern' next your name, Jim, how cool!
I planned on spending the day reading and finishing Nine Princes but my friend came over and that was the end of that plan. I haven't seen her in a while so I can't complain. Now, a movie before Anthony gets home and finally I'll be able to get back to Nine Princes.

message 7: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments "The Keeper of the Pattern" was Dan's doing. I didn't know moderators could have titles, but he did & set me up. I thought it was pretty cool!

message 8: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) Me too!

message 9: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments Today I will start "Nine Princes" as my lunch time read.

message 10: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) I haven't been able to put any time into it. Something is always happening when I don't get the time to read.

message 11: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments That's why I leave the building & hide in the truck during lunch. As the IT guy, if I stay in the building I am constantly interrupted with, "Sorry to bother you, but..." It still happens occasionally when I can't get away for some reason. Often enough to know that eating lunch with my nose buried in a book is not an obvious enough sign that I am "out to lunch". Either is the sign on my door.

message 12: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) I need a vacation or something. Again, thinking I had the whole day to myself, I set a plan for the day. Make homemade manicotti, shower and read.
But no, Eric dumps a ton of laundry on me, and another friend came over for the afternoon. Well, the shower is crying for me to get in there, then hopefully I can read a bit before dinner.

message 13: by Mohammed , Dilvish The Damned (new)

Mohammed  Burhan Abdi Osman (mohammedaosman) | 83 comments I have read two Richard Stark books extra fast in the last 3 days expecting my copy of Amber books to arrive before Tuesday like my bookstore said.

message 14: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments Tell Eric to do his own damn laundry. That's what my wife says when she's in a good book & I get pushy. Says the same thing about dinner, cleaning & everything else, for that matter. She will take care of the dogs & horses, but everything else had best fend for itself.

Richard Stark sounds familiar, but I can't place him...

message 15: by Dan, Jack of Shadows (new)

Dan Schwent (akagunslinger) | 55 comments Richard Stark is a Donald Westlake alias.

message 16: by Mohammed , Dilvish The Damned (new)

Mohammed  Burhan Abdi Osman (mohammedaosman) | 83 comments He is really another writer when you spend so many books in the mind of people like Parker you cant say its the same Westlake of Dormunder,other comic crime.

Plus i expected Jim a fellow Hard Case Crime fan to know who Richard Stark is ;)

message 17: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) Jim, I've been trying to get him to do it for years. I give in too easily.

message 18: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments Ah! No wonder I recognized the name, but didn't place it.

message 19: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments I'm done with 'Nine Princes' & will move on to The Guns of Avalon at lunch today.

message 20: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (frazerc) | 17 comments The Imperial family of Amber certainly puts the 'dys' in dysfunctional. I loved the line 'It is strange, I guess, to have kin and to be without kinship...'. And only Corwin has developed enough humanity to realize it. I really enjoyed the reread.

message 21: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments You're right, Cindy. There's another part where Corwin says something about going mad & then says something like, "But none of you good doctors could cope with my family anyway."

Dworkin mentions turning a shrink into a frog.

message 22: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) Finished it last night and started Guns.

message 23: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments It's a good thing they're quick reads, Jackie. Doesn't sound like you've had much time. Especially since you keep playing with vampires, too.

;-)

message 24: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) Jim, I've significantly cut my FB Games down; I was playing 10 games, it ate up my entire day and I accomplished nothing. Now I have three, 2 of which I only check in on once or twice a day. VW is not as exciting as it once was, so even that is getting putting aside.
My biggest deterrent to reading this past week was visitors. Every day someone would show up and hang around for hours. Quite unusual for this house.

message 25: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments I'm just beating on you, Jackie. Your life & time. I know how easy it is to get caught up in games or on the PC! It happens to me all the time. I should be out cleaning & filling the fish pond right now...

message 26: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments I read an interesting piece at the end of Power & Light today. Apparently Zelazny didn't know where this book was going either! He wrote the beginning & then let the characters run with it. He got wrapped up with Corwin & it became quite different than what he'd originally thought. Then he wrote the book & the first quarter of the second before he realized it wasn't going to be a trilogy, but thought it might take 6 books!

message 27: by Jackie (last edited Sep 03, 2009 04:14PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) I know that! I didn't take it seriously. I figure we're good enough friends to know when we're busting on each other, and good enough friends to be able to do it.
Where I really spend a lot of time is at the TV and with premiere week coming up, I might as well be glued to the couch. It's odd because I never watched TV at all until I moved here, now I'm completely addicted to it. If the DVR doesn't record something I go into complete bitch-mode.

message 28: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments I've heard Zelazny was one of the new wave SF/Fantasy writers, Jennifer. Maybe that's the tone you're picking up? Different than Asimov, Heinlein & Bradbury.

message 29: by Mohammed , Dilvish The Damned (new)

Mohammed  Burhan Abdi Osman (mohammedaosman) | 83 comments I thought Zelazny was of an older generation than he was. I didnt really notice how young he was in the 60s compared to other legendary sf authors today.

I mean he is much younger than most sf authors he gets compared to today. Even PKD is older. I thought he was older when he passed away.

Its like Richard Matheson who wrote I Am Legend in his mid 20s.

message 30: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments I think he was only 58 when he died. Far too young!

message 31: by Mohammed , Dilvish The Damned (new)

Mohammed  Burhan Abdi Osman (mohammedaosman) | 83 comments Yeah that what i thought too. He created so much for someone who died at 58.

message 32: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments It's the end of September. I hope everyone got a chance to read "Nine Princes" & is ready to go on to The Guns of Avalon.

I know many of you, like me, couldn't wait & have continued to read on & are finishing up the series. I'll go through & make topics for the last two books in the Corwin cycle today.

message 33: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) I'm to start a Dean Koontz novel with a group, but that won't take long. My next Amber is the 4th one, I could have started it but I knew it wouldn't have had time to do the 5th. I want to read them together.

message 34: by Chris (last edited Dec 04, 2009 06:21AM) (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 84 comments Hey, just thought I'd let everyone know.

The Science Fiction/Fantasy Group on GR is currently reading and discussing Nine Princes.

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1...

This was picked for the theme of "unique magic systems".

message 35: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments Thanks, Chris! Put in a plug for us there, if you wouldn't mind. Maybe some of them will join. I quit the group because it was just too big & used up too much time.

message 36: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 84 comments Done. We'll see if it brings anyone over....

message 37: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments Thanks!

message 38: by Laura (new)

Laura (imperfectreader) | 6 comments It brought me over. I just finished Nine Princes in Amber and am starting on Guns of Avalon this week.

message 39: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments Super! Welcome, Laura. You've never read any Zelazny before?

message 40: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) Enjoy it, Laura, I sure did.

message 41: by Laura (new)

Laura (imperfectreader) | 6 comments I have never read any Zelazny. I've heard his name, but never gotten to any of his book. I like his style and I am enjoying this series. I love finding this group because after Amber I can venture out into other works.

message 42: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments Make sure you vote in the poll we have going for the next book to read. There are lots of reviews on his books here on GR. I think I've reviewed most of them. Some are pretty far out, like Creatures of Light and Darkness. This month's read, Jack of Shadows, doesn't seem too far out, but is very cool.