I Read Comic Books discussion

What are you reading right now? > What are you reading right now? (January 2019)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Mike (new)

Mike Rapin (mikerapin) | 325 comments Mod
New year? MORE COMICS! What comics/manga/webcomics did you start 2019 off with?

If you're interested in what the IRCB crew is reading every week that isn't posted here already, make sure to check out our Top of My Pile posts on Patreon !

message 2: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 43 comments Happy New Year!

This week I was obsessed with reading:

Akira, vol 1
Archie, The Golden Age
Archie, vols 3, 4 & 5
Archie Xmas Spectacular #1
Batman: The Killing Joke
Birthright, vol 4
True Blood, vol 1

message 3: by DJay (new)

DJay (DJDJay) | 3 comments Just started reading Unnatural.

message 4: by Devon (new)

Devon Munn (DevonMM) | 23 comments DJay wrote: "Just started reading Unnatural."

Noice. I'm gonna start that soon. Along with a bunch of Garth Ennis books (those being War Stories, Battlefields, 303, Chronicles Of Wormwood, Jennifer Blood, Red Team, Back To Brooklyn, Dreaming Eagles, Jimmy's Bastards and A Walk Through Hell) i probably will also start Gasolina Vol 2 and then after i finish those off i will read Strees Of Glory, Pride and Joy, Caliban, 22 Brides, The Resistance and Superzero. I'm also thinking i might read some of Sean Lewis's works (those being Saints, The Few, Coyotes, Bethroted and Clankillers) and maybe reading some Black Mask books like Space Riders, Young Terrorists, Godkiller, There's Nothing There, The Dregs, Kim & Kim and Survival Fetish

message 5: by Arinna (new)

Arinna Bijou | 1 comments First comics I've read in 2019 were Greg Rucka's three volumes of The Punisher from 2011/2012 -- absolutely loved them. They're the best Punisher comics I've read so far and I only wish Rucka's run had lasted longer, I could read another 10+ volumes of it.

For the rest of January, I want to get caught up on Deadly Class before the show comes out and also get back into and catch up on Boku no Hero Academia and probably also start One Piece.

message 6: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 190 comments These are technically from December as they were part of the IRCB challenge -
Batman: Arkham Asylum - A Serious House on Serious Earth
We Stand On Guard

Catching up on Star Wars comics
Star Wars: Darth Vader - Dark Lord of the Sith, Vol. 4: The Black Fortress
Star Wars, Vol. 8: Mutiny at Mon Cala

X-Men: Magneto Testament - Read this for out last comic book club of the year

message 7: by Nick (new)

Nick | 37 comments Working my way through B.P.R.D.: Plague of Frogs 2, the second omnibus in this Hellboy spin-off. It's nearly 500 pages of punching monsters and blastin' frog people, alongside some very spoopy stuff. Mike Mignola has managed to create a book that will appeal to Hellboy fans, but really has its own identity and tone apart from its predecessor. And yes, Guy Davis' art might not be for everybody (especially those expecting Mignola art), but I think it's great in its own right.

message 8: by Devon (new)

Devon Munn (DevonMM) | 23 comments I also recently started four newer Image books, those being Infidel, Sacred Creatures, Void Trip and Slots

message 9: by Mariah (new)

Mariah Knight (mariahmknight) | 6 comments East of West Vols 4-7 (LOVING these!)
Paper Girls Vol 5 (finished)
Swamp Thing Vol 1 (to-read)

message 10: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 238 comments This week's comic shop run;

Uncanny X-Men 9- the fight against X-Man rages on as the team calls for help
Thor 9- Roz Solomon, Agent of... Wakanda? See Avengers below
Star Wars 59- the big three are still marooned on a planet and they get some unwelcome company
Red Sonja 25- even Sonja can be touched by music. Not positive but I think this is the final issue.
Green Arrow 48- Count Vertigo is back, a lot more powerful, and making a demand that literally can't be met.
Domino 10- Dom and the team help Longshot in this FINAL ISSUE
Avengers 12- The Avengers need a support staff and Panther places Okoye in charge.
Justice League 15- big fight on Thanagar and strange developments with the League's "guest" back on Earth.

message 11: by Francis (new)

Francis | 75 comments Oh wow, it's new comic book day, I'd I've been so busy I didn't notice till just now. What a great surprise.

My two pre ordered titles on Comixology are, Green Lantern #3 and Domino #10.

Over the holidays I threw myself into the Valiant universe and so far this month I've read:

Bloodshot, Volume 1: Setting the World on Fire
X-O Manowar, Volume 2: Enter Ninjak
X-O Manowar, Volume 3: Planet Death
Archer & Armstrong, Volume 1: The Michelangelo Code
Shadowman, Volume 1: Birth Rites

Then I took a break to read Giant Days Vol. 8. I'm now in the middle of Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned for the Book of the Month, which is really interesting to reread after quite a few years. I'm also reading Fables, Vol. 6: Homelands.

message 12: by Francis (new)

Francis | 75 comments Wayland wrote: "This week's comic shop run;

Uncanny X-Men 9- the fight against X-Man rages on as the team calls for help
Thor 9- Roz Solomon, Agent of... Wakanda? See Avengers below
Star Wars 59- the big three ar..."

I can't believe it's the last issue of Domino, I hardly read any new books issue by issue, and this is the latest in a line of cancelled titles I've picked up and really enjoyed that this has happened to. I only just got over Batgirl and the Birds of Prey ending.

message 13: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 57 comments Francis,

Those Valiant tpbs have been available on Kindle Unlimited, and I have tried a few. XO Manowar is the one I have consistently liked.
I liked old school Ninjak, the reboot much less.

Now that DC is making some tpbs available on Kindle Unlimited, it may be adios Valiant.

message 15: by Chad (new)

Chad | 178 comments Hermit wrote: "Picked up today:
* Rumble, Vol. 1: The Color of Darkness
* The Beauty, Vol. 1
* Hit-Girl, Volume 1: Colombia"

I'm a fan of Rumble and The Beauty. Hit Girl in Columbia, eh, not so much.

message 16: by Francis (new)

Francis | 75 comments Christopher wrote: "Francis,

Those Valiant tpbs have been available on Kindle Unlimited, and I have tried a few. XO Manowar is the one I have consistently liked.
I liked old school Ninjak, the reboot much less.

Now ..."

I agree, X-O Manowar is great. Ninjak was a good supporting character in X-O Manowar, Volume 2: Enter Ninjak, but I've yet to read the standalone stuff.

The only original Valiant universe comics I read back on in the day was Shadowman, which I was attracted to because of Ashley Wood's painted artwork, and Garth Ennis as writer.

message 17: by Francis (new)

Francis | 75 comments Francis wrote: "Christopher wrote: "Francis,

I liked old school Ninjak, the reb..."

I looked up the old Shadowman comics I'd read, and discovered they were published as Acclaim comics.

message 18: by Wing Kee (new)

Wing Kee (triptypo) | 33 comments Current and on the dock:

1) West Coast Avengers Vol 1 (2018)
2) Justice League Dark (2018)
3) Batman Beyond Target Batman
4) Harley Quinn (Humphries) Vol 2
5) Spider-Verse
6) Books of Magic (Gaiman)

message 19: by Chad (new)

Chad | 178 comments Francis wrote: "I looked up the old Shadowman comics I'd read, and discovered they were published as Acclaim comics. "

Those Acclaim comics are from when the Acclaim video game company bought Valiant and only kept the names of the characters. That was a dark time for Valiant as most of those were terrible. The original Valiant universe is very close to the current one.

message 20: by Nathan (last edited Jan 11, 2019 01:27AM) (new)

Nathan Haines (Lemonhands) | 5 comments I am currently reading The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vol. 1: Squirrel Power The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl (2015a) #1 by Ryan North
Absolutely love these comics, so funny and quirky. Definitely a superheros comic for people who aren't super into superheros

I'm also reading Rolled & Told #2 by Eric Thomas & Rolled & Told #1 by Eric Thomas whilst i plan for my next session

message 21: by Wing Kee (new)

Wing Kee (triptypo) | 33 comments Random thought on comic book trades. Does anyone else get frustrated when large event books don't get collected in publication order. Example: I read the single issues of Dark Nights Metal and having all the tie ins together makes a cohesive story. Now with the four trades, if you want to read it chronologically, you need to jump between books....

message 22: by Hermit (new)

Hermit of Bowman Swamp (bowmanswamp) | 8 comments Chad wrote: "I'm a fan of Rumble and The Beauty. Hit Girl in Columbia, eh, not so much."

I want to catch up on some of the more recent Hit-Girl stories by Mark Millar / Ricardo Lopez Ortiz, Jeff Lemire / Eduardo Risso, and Rafael Albuquerque / Rafael Scavone before the new issues by Kevin Smith / Pernille Ørum start dropping in February.

message 23: by Nick (new)

Nick | 37 comments I just recently read Black Hammer: Age of Doom #6 and Black Hammer: Age of Doom #7, and I gotta say, even readers that have been along for the ride up to this point might end up scratching their heads. It's true that other artists that Jeff Lemire has brought on board for other Black Hammer series (Max Fiumara, Wilfredo Torres, Emi Lenox, David Rubin) have styles that are a far cry from "conventional comic art," but Rich Tommaso might be stretching it for some people.

Personally, I think Tommaso's work on Spy Seal, Vol. 1: The Corten-Steel Phoenix and Dick Tracy: Dead or Alive #1 is absolutely fantastic, and would suggest that his Black Hammer work is more in line with these.

Oh, and these two issues of Black Hammer also happen to get pretty metatextual, so buckle your seat belts for that, too.

message 24: by Mike (new)

Wing Kee wrote: "Random thought on comic book trades. Does anyone else get frustrated when large event books don't get collected in publication order. Example: I read the single issues of Dark Nights Metal and havi..."

Ugh. Yes. Idk why publishers are so scared about publishing events across multiple books in chronological order like that. It seems like the only time they do that is when the story continues directly in another series... it's annoying.

message 25: by Mike (new)

Nick wrote: "I just recently read Black Hammer: Age of Doom #6 and Black Hammer: Age of Doom #7, and I gotta say, even readers that have been along for the ride up to this point ..."

I don't think you're giving Tommaso (or potential readers) enough credit. I think compared to his other work, his BH stuff is very toned down in order to not alienate readers in this series.

message 26: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 43 comments Chad wrote: "Hermit wrote: "Picked up today:
* Rumble, Vol. 1: The Color of Darkness
* The Beauty, Vol. 1
* Hit-Girl, Volume 1: Colombia"

I'm a fan of Rumble and..."

Seconded. Hit Girl wasn't good, but The Beauty is.

message 27: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 43 comments Wing Kee wrote: "Random thought on comic book trades. Does anyone else get frustrated when large event books don't get collected in publication order. Example: I read the single issues of Dark Nights Metal and havi..."

That sounds like a nightmare I might have to face in the future :/

message 28: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 43 comments Since my last update I have read the following:

-Akira vols 2, 3 & 4
-Archie vol 6
-Archie, The Silver Age
-Jughead: The Hunger vol 1 + #4-11
-The Unquotable Trump
-Vampironica #1-5

message 29: by Devon (new)

Devon Munn (DevonMM) | 23 comments Just started Streets Of Glory. Next up i'm gonna read Pride & Joy, then onto Caliban and Goddess. Then four Jimmy Palmiotti books (i recently bought Hype at Barnes & Nobles) and a few other titles

message 30: by Mike (new)

Got caught up on the My Hero Academia volumes via the Shonen Jump service (finished 僕のヒーローアカデミア 16 Boku No Hero Academia 16 , which was very emotional and I love Kirishima even more), now onto reading the other chapters in English on their site/app!

message 31: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinspapercut) | 42 comments Whitney wrote: "Since my last update I have read the following:
-Vampironica #1-5"

How did you like Vampironica? I really want to try it!

So far this month I haven't read a ton:
Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned
Y: The Last Man, Vol. 2: Cycles
Y: The Last Man - The Deluxe Edition Book Two
Unfollow, Vol. 1: 140 Characters
My Heroes Have Always Been Junkies

In non-comics, I just finished Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup about the big Theranos scandal and have been recommending it everywhere I can - I literally could not. stop. reading!

message 32: by James (new)

James Hahn | 18 comments Mike wrote: "Got caught up on the My Hero Academia volumes via the Shonen Jump service (finished 僕のヒーローアカデミア 16 Boku No Hero Academia 16 , which was very emotional and I love Kirishima even more..."

I'm around chapter 170, race you! lol

message 33: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 43 comments Erin wrote: "Whitney wrote: "Since my last update I have read the following:
-Vampironica #1-5"

How did you like Vampironica? I really want to try it!

So far this month I haven't read a ton:
[book:Y: The Last..."

It was a lot of fun and I would recommend it!

How was Unfollow? The premise seems right up my alley.

message 34: by Chad (new)

Chad | 178 comments Whitney wrote: "How was Unfollow? The premise seems right up my alley. "

I really liked the first 2 trades, but the third one felt like 4 years of plot stuffed into 4 issues as they tried to tie everything up.

message 35: by Devon (new)

Devon Munn (DevonMM) | 23 comments I thought it was a pretty decent series

message 36: by bailey (new)

bailey (mistermiracle) | 12 comments Recently been reading through Fantastic Four trades... about to finish the Marvel Knight run. What are everyone's favorite FF storylines?

message 37: by Hermit (last edited Jan 16, 2019 11:03AM) (new)

Hermit of Bowman Swamp (bowmanswamp) | 8 comments Picked up today.
I have a lot of catching up to do.

1. Witchblade Volume 1 (Volume 2 comes out in February)
2. Days of Hate Act One (Act Two comes out in February)
3. Curse Words, Vol. 1: The Devil's Devil (Volume 4! comes out in February)
4. We Stand On Guard (from the IRCB 2018 Recommended Reading Challenge)

message 38: by Chad (new)

Chad | 178 comments bailey wrote: "Recently been reading through Fantastic Four trades... about to finish the Marvel Knight run. What are everyone's favorite FF storylines?"

Hands down, Jonathan Hickman's run on FF and Fantastic Four. John Byrne's run is really great too. The FF assistant editor's month book is still one of the funniest comics I've ever read.

message 39: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 238 comments Today's comic run:

Black Widow 1- horrible cover but rest of it was good-- Natasha, back from the dead and rudderless, teams with Cap and then goes to blow off steam in Madripoor.
Fantastic Four 6- which is the bigger threat, Galactus or Doom's ego?
Firefly 3- great continuation of a story that captures the feel of the show. I sill miss this.
Hawkman 8- Carter meets up with another past self, Catar Ol of Krypton
Suicide Squad 50- The Squad has to deal with a possible global infection but they can't beat their fate... FINAL ISSUE
Uncanny X-Men 10- the threat of X-Man ends... you thought Wanda's "No More Mutants" was bad?
Ironheart 2- Riri deals with new threats in Chicago and Boston
Invaders 1- something weird is going on with Namor, and Cap is going to try and save his old foe.

message 40: by Ross (new)

Ross Keller | 10 comments Detective Comics - I feel kind of obligated to keep pulling until #1,000
Gideon Falls - Jeff Lemire writing the best horror comic I've ever read and probably my favorite creator owned title right now
The Green Lantern - I'm a sucker for a weird Grant Morrison story and Liam Sharps art has been fantastic
Heroes in Crisis - Really liking this one and excited for the upcoming batman/flash crossover tie in
Doomsday Clock - My favorite quarterly series! haha
Murder Falcon - If you haven't been reading this please do yourself a favor and pre order the trade. Warren Johnson is a master writer and artist alike.
MiddleWest - I like Scottie Young but I've honestly just been pulling this because the covers are gorgeous
Justice League - I read most anything Scott Snyder putts out

As far as recent trades I have read in the past month or so it's been Eternity Girl, Abbot, Ice Cream Man vol 1, Dead Man Logan vol 1, and Immortal Hulk vol 1

message 41: by Chad (new)

Chad | 178 comments Ross wrote: "Gideon Falls - Jeff Lemire writing the best horror comic I've ever read and probably my favorite creator owned title right now"

Have you ever read Locke and Key? That gets my vote for best horror comic ever.

message 42: by Ross (new)

Ross Keller | 10 comments Chad wrote: "Ross wrote: "Gideon Falls - Jeff Lemire writing the best horror comic I've ever read and probably my favorite creator owned title right now"

Have you ever read Locke and Key? That gets my vote for..."

I have! (well at least the first 2 volumes) That is definitely up there for me too I am just a little biased as Lemire is my 2nd favorite writer and I just feel such a sense of dread and darkness when reading Gideon Falls unlike any I've had with any other horror series. He's totally nailed the tone and he knows how to make the reader feel uncomfortable and anxious at the right beats in the story. I'll definitely make it a point to finish Locke and Key though it may change my ranking.

message 43: by James (new)

James Hahn | 18 comments I've been on a hard anime/manga binge for a few weeks. Been reading I Am A Hero and Berserk mostly, but with the new Shonen Jump service, I'm also caught up on My Hero Academia and Chainsaw Man, both of which are great.

I'm most excited for the trade of Farmhand by Rob Guillory. Now that Chew is over, i need my fix.

I also found this great new service called webtoons that has free online comics in a new format. Instead of traditional side to side reading, this uses one continuous scroll down to progress through the issue, leading to a unique sort of dramatic tension. Being a horror fan, I had this particular one recommended to me:
https://www.webtoons.com/en/thriller/...
Its about a young kid who is the worst kind of internet troll. He wakes up in a huge apartment building that appears to be empty, but slowly he finds out there are others there, and not all of them are humans....

message 44: by Craig (new)

Craig | 5 comments Kind of between things right now (I got Blake Crouch's new novel, Recursion, through Netgalley and have been obsessively reading that the past few days). I did pick up a couple of volumes of Dr. Strange by Donny Cates from the library, along with the first collection of Polar (now a Netflix series with Mads Mikkelson as a hitman), but haven't had a chance to start reading them.

message 45: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 190 comments Red Hood and the Outlaws Vol. 4: Good Night Gotham - This may be my favorite book Scott Lobdell has ever done ...
Andre the Giant: Life and Legend - we read this at our local Comic book club. It generated alot of interesting discussion
Batman: Detective Comics, Vol. 8: On the Outside - the march towards Detective comics 1000 continues!!
Trinity Vol. 4: The Search for Steve Trevor - this book was very underrated, although this wasn't my favorite storyline this series was very solid overall.

Lastly and this is the SADDEST book i read. Saga, Vol. 9 - This book crushed me and now its on Hiatus :(

message 46: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinspapercut) | 42 comments Craig wrote: "Kind of between things right now (I got Blake Crouch's new novel, Recursion, through Netgalley and have been obsessively reading that the past few days). I did pick up a couple of volumes of Dr. St..."

Not comics related, but I am so excited for Recursion to come out! I am still obsessively recommending Dark Matter to people!

message 47: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 147 comments Erin wrote: "Craig wrote: "Kind of between things right now (I got Blake Crouch's new novel, Recursion, through Netgalley and have been obsessively reading that the past few days). I did pick up a couple of vol..."

Dark Matter was so good. I guess Recursion will have to go on my ever growing to read pile.

message 48: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Torres (AnthonyReadsStuff) | 3 comments A friend recommended The Fade Out by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips. Finished the first trade and it is great. L.A noir, old Hollywood murder mystery. Moving on to book 2.

Also, new to this, how do you reply to old posts? Lol

message 49: by Chad (last edited Jan 18, 2019 09:44PM) (new)

Chad | 178 comments Anthony wrote: "A friend recommended The Fade Out by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips. Finished the first trade and it is great. L.A noir, old Hollywood murder mystery. Moving on to book 2. "

I don't think Ed Brubaker has ever written anything that isn't great. When he teams up with Sean Philips which he does a lot, they make magic.

Anthony wrote: "Also, new to this, how do you reply to old posts? Lol "

You just hit the Reply button in the lower right of the post.

message 50: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 57 comments Yeah, but if he means "how do you reply to posts in old What are you reading now? threads?" , you can't. The mods close the thread at the end of each month, and start a new one.

« previous 1