Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

SF/F Movie, TV & Video Game Chat > What Were Your Favorite SF/F Movies of 2018?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by G33z3r, The Old Guy (new)

G33z3r | 8417 comments

A whole lot of superhero movies this year, with a few others scifi & fantasy flicks sprinkled in.

What were your favorites?

message 2: by RJ (new)

RJ (hawk5391yahoocom) | 866 comments I thought it was a tough year for movies but then again I can't say I saw a lot of them.

Avengers Infinity War was good but obviously the ending was a cliffhanger. Let's call it 4 stars.

Ready Player One was disappointing - 3 stars just for the effects and all the licensed characters/monsters/vehicles/etc.

Solo was disappointing too. 3 stars just because I'm a Star Wars nerd and I like to watch spaceships and laser blasters.

I admire that Black Panther had an all-black cast. I just didn't think the plot was that great. 2.5 stars

Tomb Raider isn't really SciFi but I watched it. 2.5 generous stars

I think I'm going to put a moratorium on watching any more DCEU movies, Grinch reboots, and Transformers sequels.

So that leaves Incredibles 2 as my Movie of the Year. Jack-Jack for President in 2020!

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 429 comments Recently watched Venom which I thought was better than the mediocre reviews (urAh there was some cliched stuff but Venom itself was hilarious)

message 4: by G33z3r, The Old Guy (last edited Jan 02, 2019 04:51PM) (new)

G33z3r | 8417 comments RJ wrote: "I thought it was a tough year for movies but then again I can't say I saw a lot of them. ..."

Yeah, I really didn't see a "you gotta watch this" movie again this year. Maybe old age is making me jaded.

Most of the sequels were at least a bit disappointing and not as good as the originals (Deadpool 2, AntMan & Wasp, Pacific Rim II, Solo, Incredibles, Jurassic whatever.) I didn't hate them, even sort-of liked many of them, but didn't love them.

The House with a Clock in its Walls was a big didsappointment. What were they trying for?

Is it OK to say Meg & Rampage were just dumb?

I hevn't seen the December "blockbusters." Mortal Engines bombed at the box office, but who knows, maybe I'll like it. It wouldn't be the first time I've loved a BO Bomb (I'll say it, I liked John Carter.

RJ wrote: "Ready Player One was disappointing - 3 stars just for the effects and all the licensed characters/ monsters/ vehicles/ etc. ..."

It's too bad they couldn't have licensed more from the book. E.g. the movie War Games and video game Joust. At least they had a Gundam. (I can recall when Zemekis & Amblin made Who Framed Roger Rabbit back in '88 that both Warner Brothers & Disney were willing to grant them limited use of their iconic cartoon characters. Apparently nobody license anything anymore.)

I thought Tomb Raider has some supernatural thingamabob?

Anyway, I'm giving Black Panther film of the year; as obligatory origin stories go, it was better than getting bit by a radioactive panther (Ready Player One as runner-up.)

message 5: by Hillary (new)

Hillary Major | 430 comments I thought the ending of the movie sent a pretty different message from that of the book & went off the rails in some ways, but I was glad I saw Annihilation, even though it veers further into horror than I prefer. Everything didn't totally gel, but it was a treat to watch that cast interact & some of the visuals were incredible.

Sorry to Bother you was my favorite SFF movie of 2018, possibly my favorite 2018 movie of any genre. It's very much its own thing, but I think in several ways it's akin to Philip K. Dick's work.

Seen most of the Marvels & found them enjoyable, predictable, & over-reliant on set pieces. Black Panther definitely supplied more than most in terms of character & opened new vistas w/costuming & setting. A Wrinkle in Time was disappointing, but it had its moments. Haven't seen Solo or Grindelwald yet.

message 6: by RJ (last edited Jan 03, 2019 09:47AM) (new)

RJ (hawk5391yahoocom) | 866 comments G33z3r wrote: "It's too bad they couldn't have licensed more from the book. E.g. the movie War Games and video game Joust...."

Then again I'm not sure how exciting that would have been on a big screen. That's one of the reasons I wondered how they would make the book into a movie (even though I suspect the book was written specifically to sell movie rights). I can understand some of the changes they made (like making the first contest a race instead of a game of Joust) but I thought overall Spielberg slipped back into that overly sentimental style that he exhibited back in the 80s and 90s.

G33z3r wrote: "I thought Tomb Raider has some supernatural thingamabob?..."

I probably slept through that part.

Hillary wrote: "...but I was glad I saw Annihilation..."

That one intrigues me. I enjoyed the book, and I also enjoyed the director's prior film Ex Machina.

message 7: by Kivrin (new)

Kivrin | 386 comments Hmm, the standout for me (which means I remember it vividly and loved it) was A Quiet Place. Loved the concept and the movie itself. Did I nitpick it? Sure, but I also held my breath through most of the movie!

I saw Infinity War and Black Panther. I'm not a super hero fan, but I enjoyed both.

I also was glad to see the final entry in the Maze Runner series. It was a long time coming, but I thought Death Cure was fun, and actually improved on the book.

Jurassic World--same movie, different title. Good popcorn flick.

Incredibles 2 was great. Jack Jack was my fave!

I enjoyed the second Fantastic Beasts movie but then I like Johnny Depp, and I thought the special effects were pretty cool.

message 8: by Kivrin (new)

Kivrin | 386 comments G33z3r wrote: "It wouldn't be the first time I've loved a BO Bomb (I'll say it, I liked John Carter. .."

Me, too!

message 9: by NekroRider (last edited Jan 21, 2019 10:01AM) (new)

NekroRider | 163 comments Trying to remember what I movies I watched this year and which ones were actually released in 2018 haha.

- Black Panther was really awesome
- Avengers - Infinity War I really enjoyed too
- The Meg - this was pretty epic. Jason Statham did a great job of hitting that Arnie-level over the top hilarious but epic action movie (hand-to-hand combat with a giant shark? Yes, please lol)

I also saw Maze Runner: Death Cure but I think by diverging from the books so drastically they kind of took away from the only real interesting points from the conclusion of the book. I'm wondering if they just decided it would be too difficult to transfer some of the content visually on screen. Not sure. But diverging so much turned it much more into a cliche action plot.

message 10: by Constantina (new)

Constantina Maud (constantinamaud) | 4 comments Annihilation and The Crimes of Grindelwald were definitely two of the most memorable films of 2018 ~ Especially Annihilation had such a unique angle and visionary direction!

message 11: by Reyad (new)

Reyad | 10 comments Can I just say Spiderman into the Spiderverse was the best movie I've watched all year!!

message 12: by G33z3r, The Old Guy (new)

G33z3r | 8417 comments Ralph Wrecks the Internet was a lot of fun.

message 13: by RJ (new)

RJ (hawk5391yahoocom) | 866 comments G33z3r wrote: "Ralph Wrecks the Internet was a lot of fun."

I didn't like the first one. Was this one better?

message 14: by G33z3r, The Old Guy (new)

G33z3r | 8417 comments RJ wrote: "G33z3r wrote: "Ralph Wrecks the Internet was a lot of fun."
I didn't like the first one. Was this one better?"

I thought so, yeah (though I did like the first one.) I didn't see it in theaters, I watched it streaming earlier in the week. There's a lot of internet jokes, references to other Disney fare (especially the Princesses) and other geeky in-jokes & visuals, and (the real test) I laughed a lot. :)

message 15: by G33z3r, The Old Guy (new)

G33z3r | 8417 comments The 2019 Hugo Award Finalists for "Best Dramatic Presentation, Long Form", which translates roughly into "movie", are...

Annihilation
Avengers: Infinity War
Black Panther
A Quiet Place
Sorry to Bother You
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

message 16: by G33z3r, The Old Guy (new)

G33z3r | 8417 comments A Star Wars movie actually happened that didn't become a Hugo finalist.

message 17: by Hillary (new)

Hillary Major | 430 comments G33z3r wrote: "The 2019 Hugo Award Finalists for "Best Dramatic Presentation, Long Form", which translates roughly into "movie", are...."

I think it's a pretty strong finalist list. There are two I haven't seen: Spider-Verse (will probably watch soon) and A Quiet Place (don't watch a lot of horror, but trust those who do & have said it's good). Of the ones I've seen, Avengers was the least impressive (mostly enjoyable, but also mostly a series of introductory vignettes strung onto half a plot). If I were a voter, I'd be picking between Sorry to Bother You and Annihilation.