Top Notch Mysteries discussion

what constitutes a good/bad mystery for you?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jared (new)

Jared Dubinski | 1 comments Mod
for my part, I am looking for the cream of the crop here. At the bottom rung of acceptability, I'd place the bar at Michael Connelly. The best mysteries that I've ever had the pleasure of reading are MOTHERLESS BROOKLYN by Jonathan Lethem, the Sherlock Holmes stories, Caleb Carr's NYC novels, and the Kinzie Gennaro novels of Dennis Lehane.

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Trent hirsch | 1 comments I want a story that is going to pull me in and keep me there. I want an author to grab my attention and give me details. I want to be able to visualize what I am reading and for some reason I like the "gory" details of the crimes, that's what keeps my attention peaked.

message 3: by Brian (new)

Brian White | 1 comments Mystery is one of those genres where a story can fall easily into a formulaic routine. I think this happens when focus gets pulled more toward the situational details than the characters involved. It may sound silly, but I almost don't care what the mystery is or how it gets solved as long as I'm into the people. If the writer gets me caring about the characters, everything else seems to fall into place.