Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > better to give.....

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090819/o...

thoughts? i think this is a wonderfully wacky idea BUT is still sort of an invasion of a persons privacy

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I heard about this. This may end badly. What if someone kicks living hell out of a putpocket because of a mistake?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I don't want any stranger's hand in my pockets, period.

Or any friends' hands, either, come to think of it...

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I think there are better ways to redistribute the wealth.

message 5: by Kevin (last edited Aug 20, 2009 11:42AM) (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "I don't want any stranger's hand in my pockets, period.

what? normally i have to PAY for this

(totally kidding of course)

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i do too SP but i am a total believer in Random Acts Of Kindness (even if this does have a marketing twist to it)

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Me too, Kevin. And I'll admit I'd be pleased as punch if I found an extra $5 in my pocket tonight.

I just feel like some of that might wind up in the purses of people who might not even notice, while others whose days would really be made don't get any.

I might start by putting big notes in the instrument case of every busker around.

message 8: by Heidi (last edited Aug 20, 2009 11:50AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I want some extra money!!! BUT I don't have any pockets. :-/

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Cleavage, then?

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Maybe you should just randomly take off one shoe and look in the other direction.

message 11: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I don't have any cleavage.

message 12: by Heidi (last edited Aug 20, 2009 12:03PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I most definitely do. >:-/

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Larry, maybe they can hide your money in the newspaper. You'll have to put it down for a minute, though, and hope that they ignore the slobbery parts.

message 14: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Mr. Potter got $8,000 in his newspaper, as I recall. Poor Uncle Billy.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments That was painful to watch. Cheney in his wheelchair at the inauguration reminded me of Mr. Potter.

message 16: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Oh wow yes!

message 17: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments sarahP - here is my take on true random acts of kindness. they can't just be for those that "need" it, they have to be totally random. you never know what some undeserved grace or kindness can do for anyone. even someone well off may get the heart to pass it forward and give

message 18: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Well said, Kevin.

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Kevin - you're right.

message 20: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments we do a thing at our church from time to time where we "secretly" set up a deal with a gas station where we take $1/gallon off the regular price. we pay the $1 difference and we pump gas for anyone who pulls up as much as they want for $1 less than normal. we do this until we use $1000 (1000 gallons) and then cut the deal off and leave. this is not advertised but just in and out. the difference it makes in everyone's life is worth the $1000 investment we make. it may have more impact to people who are not used to having someone give them something. skeeves some people out and they insist on paying full price as they can't understand something for nothing (probably because they cannot comprehend doing something nice for someone else)

anyway - i like this idea even if it means sticking strange hands in pockets :)

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Kevin, I like your gas deal better than strange hands in pockets.

message 22: by Angie (new)

Angie (angabel) It's good, but I'm afraid someone might get beat up, as RA said.

A few weeks ago I went to Taco Bell and paid entirely in change. I was only supposed to get 3 cents back but the woman handed me the change, the receipt, and said, "The dollar's in the receipt." I didn't think anything of it because I HATE change and normally pay with bills.

It wasn't until I had gotten halfway home (walking, in the heat) that I realized her mistake and then started freaking out, trying to remember exactly what she said to me. Maybe it was "Oh, I need that dollar back?" I don't remember.

I ended up just letting it go, because that dollar was needed then as I think I had $3 left to my name at that point.

Ssshhh don't tell anyone but my thing to do throughout college was write "You Are Beautiful" on the sidewalks. Yes, I know, it's an idea that's caught on to the point of ridiculous and often ends up in teenager vandalism, but for me it was a very important message seeing as how 1) students at my university do not look at each other while passing, let alone smile, and 2) the number of eating disorders is extremely high, and 3) everything is so image-based there at "J. Crew U. It was an outlet for me when I was depressed, and I didn't know it had any impact until a friend came into the dining hall and was like, "Girl, I just saw something that said 'You Are Beautiful' on the sidewalk and I thought, 'Mm-hmm, I am, and so is everybody else!'"

Jumping from one topic to a related one: protests? The money in people's pockets is sort of a nicey-nicey form of activism that most people will admit is good, even if they grumble that THEY should get the money. But how do you guys feel about other forms of activism, protests and things?

I once stood out in the snow for a day holding a sign that read "Honk If You Love Vaginas" in order to get people to see the Vagina Monologues, and I am forever tempted to do something big like burn a Chinese flag, tie up a Tibetan flag at the center of campus, participate in a frash-fleeze, fill the fountain with rubber ducks (I was thinking of doing something like writing names of those who died during the March 10th 2008 protests on them and then selling the ducks for $1 a piece to raise money for a Tibetan Children's Village or another NGO), and write things on pieces of paper that I hand to people as they're walking away from the center of campus. Every organization does this and most people don't stop to read the papers, but I would write things like, "Free Tibet" on them and have another student a bit farther away pull aside the students who I gave the papers to and "arrest" them for carrying "splittist" agenda.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Maybe I'm too poor for this thread, but if someone randomly shoved a twenty down my pants, I'd take it.

message 24: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments I don't know about the 'down the pants' part of it, but I like the whole idea as well.

Kev, I agree with your thoughts on RAOK and I think the gas idea is great. One theological theory about charity/kindness/comfort is that it benefits the giver as well as the receiver, and that even if you have nothing much to give the true intention of wanting to give can be beneficial. I think that if those reformed pickpockets are doing it because they feel like they can give back what they stole, then maybe this is also for them as well.

Angabel, as far as protests go - I really think that is a unique calling. I could never do it the way you are describing, although I do care a lot about the Tibetan crisis. I prefer to sign petitions & donate funds. My only thought is, make sure you're not appearing to harm anyone else or yourself, because that can give it a whole 'nother (really bad) twist. Otherwise, we definitely need people to help us all wake up to information and sometimes the in-your-face option is what does it.

message 25: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments !!!!!

Angabel, I love your random kindnesses! :) Keep posting stuff like this, and I may start calling you "Angelbel" instead.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.