2020 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE: Monthly Challenges > February - Celebrating the Blues

Comments Showing 1-50 of 161 (161 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Rachael, Challenges (last edited Jan 26, 2019 08:42AM) (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 2073 comments CELEBRATING THE BLUES
Duration: 1 February - 28 February 2018

The color blue is often associated with sadness, but for this challenge we want you to celebrate it in its many forms. Whether reading one book for this challenge or eight to complete all of the prompts, we hope reading for this challenge will help you to shake the blues away.

1. Blue ribbon winner! Read an award-winning book or a book that centers around a contest.

2. "The cure for anything is saltwater: sweat, tears, or the sea." Read a book about an activity that makes you sweat, brings about tears (happy or sad), or takes place at or on the sea.

3. "Everyday I have the blues." The Blues genre of music has been influential around the globe since its origins. Read a book about music or written by a musician.

4. Fly a Blue Flag. Read a book that takes place primarily in a country that has blue in its flag.

5. "Roses are red, violets are blue..." Read a book of love poems or a book with flowers on the cover.

6. Japanese Indigo plants create a beautiful blue dye and are used in a process called "blueing." Read a book by a Japanese author or a book about fashion.

7. "Keep Calm and Carry Read On." Blue has been associated with serenity. Read a book with a cover or subject matter that relaxes you.

8. "Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue." Read a book about a wedding or that relates to any of these "somethings."

SarahKat suggested this challenge and she will be leading it. Thank you

message 2: by SarahKat (last edited Mar 19, 2019 07:08AM) (new)

SarahKat | 1054 comments Welcome to the challenge everyone!

Participants

Alana Wilson: 0/2
Alicja: 4/4Complete!
Alix: 6/8
Allie: 3/4
Amy: 4/4Complete!
Amy (Other Amy): 5/4 Complete!
Anna: 8/8 Complete!
Ashley: 3/3 Complete!
Aubrey: 4/2 Complete!
Brittany: 2/2 Complete!
Carmen: 8/8 Complete!
Cassie: 0/2
Chafic: 8/8 Complete!
Chloe: 1/1 Complete
Cindy III: 3/3 Complete!
Crystal: 5/3 Complete!
Den: 7/5 Complete!
Diane: 2/2 Complete!
Elina: 2/2 Complete!
Janet: 3/3 Complete!
Jess: 0/8
Jessica (msg 24): 4/4 Complete!
Jessica (msg 34): 3/3 Complete!
Joey: 0/8
June: 5/5 Complete!
Ketutar: 9/11
Kristin: 3/2 Complete!
Lindsay: 3/3 Complete!
Lisa: 2/2 Complete!
Luisa: 0/3
Mary: 0/3
matilde: 1/1 Complete!
Meaghan: 0/4
Megan: 4/4 Complete!
Megan BG: 6/4 Complete!
Mie: 5/5 Complete!
Nicole: 2/3
Octothorpe: 4/3 Complete!
oshizu: 6/6 Complete!
Ramya: 0/2
Ran: 3/3 Complete!
Rebekah: 0/6
Richard: 0/8
Rina: 7/3 Complete!
SANDYE: 4/4 Complete!
Sarahkat: 4/3 Complete!
Savannah: 3/8
Sharon: 0/2
Sherri: 8/8 Complete!
Steph: 4/4 Complete!
TerryJane: 8/4 Complete!

message 3: by Ketutar (last edited Feb 28, 2019 03:38PM) (new)

Ketutar Jensen | 71 comments What a wonderful challenge! Count me in :

blue ribbon winner
- won Hugo, Nebula and Locus... wow.
The Stone Sky (The Broken Earth, #3) by N.K. Jemisin

Sea water
The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman

Blues
Life by Keith Richards
- Wonderful book. :-)

Waving the (mostly) blue flag
- Sweden's flag is blue with golden cross
Jungfrustenen (Mortimer, #1) by Michael Mortimer

I do hope this passes as love poetry... or perhaps flowers on the cover?
Romeo und Julia by William Shakespeare
- So weird... starts as a comedy, ends as a tragedy - and super so - makes me think that perhaps it was meant to be acted all dramaqueen? That it perhaps was a comedy all through?
But - there was some poetry there *_*

Japanese Indigo
Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami
Fascinating book... inspiring. At the same time, I don't like not knowing.

Keep calm...
Walden by Henry David Thoreau
- the boy talks too much. Blah blah blah. 2/3 of this book could be cut out without losing any content.

something old
The Horse and His Boy (Chronicles of Narnia, #3) by C.S. Lewis
- This was a reread :-) I love this story. When Sastra jumps from the horse to face the lion... I still cry, and I have read this hundreds of times :-D

something new
The Bear and the Nightingale (Winternight Trilogy, #1) by Katherine Arden
- Loved this one! Really want to read the continuation!

something borrowed
'Perelandra' by C.S. Lewis
- Love the fantasy, dislike the Christian blabbering

and something blue... ;-)
The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling
- Nice tales. Not so fond of the Dumbledore notes, though.

All of these book are also on other TBR lists of this year, so this suits me very nicely.

4th February: 6/11 read (3/8)
8th February: 7/11 read (4/8)
22nd February: 8/11 read (5/8)
Reading Jemisin, first book, right now. Might get it read in February.

So, the final count: 9/11. I would have managed to read Jungfrustenen, but I DNF it, because it's not very good.

message 4: by Janet (last edited Feb 13, 2019 07:00PM) (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 686 comments I will go for three books for this challenge.

3/3

Gilead 2/1 (Pulitzer prize winner)
Much Ado About Nothing 2/2 (Two weddings)
Arrowsmith (blue flag - United States)

message 5: by Aubrey (last edited Mar 06, 2019 08:44AM) (new)

Aubrey | 154 comments I will do 2 for certain.

Personal Goal: 4/2

1. Blue ribbon winner! Read an award-winning book or a book that centers around a contest.
Strange the Dreamer
Michael L. Printz Award Nominee (2018)

2. "The cure for anything is saltwater: sweat, tears, or the sea." Read a book about an activity that makes you sweat, brings about tears (happy or sad), or takes place at or on the sea. The Queen of Zombie Hearts -Zombie slaying makes you sweat

3. "Everyday I have the blues." The Blues genre of music has been influential around the globe since its origins. Read a book about music or written by a musician.

4. Fly a Blue Flag. Read a book that takes place primarily in a country that has blue in its flag.
After Alice- England's flag

5. "Roses are red, violets are blue..." Read a book of love poems or a book with flowers on the cover.

6. Japanese Indigo plants create a beautiful blue dye and are used in a process called "blueing." Read a book by a Japanese author or a book about fashion.

7. "Keep Calm and Carry Read On." Blue has been associated with serenity. Read a book with a cover or subject matter that relaxes you. Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats poems about cats-2 things that relax me

8. "Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue." Read a book about a wedding or that relates to any of these "somethings."

message 6: by Alicja (last edited Feb 24, 2019 10:13PM) (new)

Alicja | 31 comments I will go for 4 "blue" books.

4/4

1. The Kiss Quotient (Goodreads 2018 award) finished 2/15/19
2. When Breath Becomes Air (tears- young nuerosurgeon gets a terminal cancer diagnosis.) finished 2/24/19
3. Things You Save in a Fire(Flowers on the cover) finished 2/22/19
4. The Wedding Date (wedding) finished 2/7/19

message 7: by oshizu, Challenges (last edited Feb 20, 2019 02:16PM) (new)

oshizu | 2320 comments Thank you for inspiring and leading this challenge, SarahKat!
Please count me in for 6 books!

Progress: 6/6

✔️1. Read an award-winning book:
A Confederacy of Dunces (1981 Pulitzer Prize)

✔️2. "The cure for anything is saltwater: sweat, tears, or the sea." Read a book about an activity that brings about tears (happy or sad): The Night Masquerade

✔️3. Read a book written by a musician (Tupac Shakur):
The Rose That Grew from Concrete by Tupac Shakur The Rose That Grew from Concrete

✔️4. Read a book that takes place in a country with a blue flag (UK).
Three Men in a Boat: To Say Nothing of the Dog

✔️5. Read a book with flowers on the cover:
Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes Flowers for Algernon

✔️6. Read a book by a Japanese author (Naru Narumi):
Ramen Daisuki Koizumi San

message 8: by SarahKat (new)

SarahKat | 1054 comments Welcome all!

Ketutar, am I correct then that you plan on doing all 8? Or all 11 books you posted?

message 9: by Ketutar (new)

Ketutar Jensen | 71 comments SarahKat wrote: "Welcome all!

Ketutar, am I correct then that you plan on doing all 8? Or all 11 books you posted?"

I plan on reading all I posted, but I think 8 is the upper limit :-D
I'm fine with 8 :-)

message 10: by Lindsay (last edited Mar 06, 2019 03:36AM) (new)

Lindsay | 1277 comments I'm in for 3 please

6/3

✅1. Blue ribbon winner! Read an award-winning book or a book that centers around a contest.
Red Rising

✅2. "The cure for anything is saltwater: sweat, tears, or the sea." Read a book about an activity that makes you sweat, brings about tears (happy or sad), or takes place at or on the sea.
The Ocean at the End of the Lane

✅3. "Everyday I have the blues." The Blues genre of music has been influential around the globe since its origins. Read a book about music or written by a musician.
Moon Over Soho

✅4. Fly a Blue Flag. Read a book that takes place primarily in a country that has blue in its flag.
Cheer Up Love: Adventures in Depression with the Crab of Hate - Scotland

✅6. Japanese Indigo plants create a beautiful blue dye and are used in a process called "blueing." Read a book by a Japanese author or a book about fashion.
Convenience Store Woman

✅7. "Keep Calm and Carry Read On." Blue has been associated with serenity. Read a book with a cover or subject matter that relaxes you.
Get Started with Your Allotment: Teach Yourself

message 11: by Allie (last edited Feb 26, 2019 06:50PM) (new)

Allie | 151 comments I'll read 4 books for this challenge!
Progress: 3/4

1. Blue ribbon winner!
The Girl Who Drank the Moon (2017 Newberry Medal) -completed 02/26/19

2. "The cure for anything is saltwater: sweat, tears, or the sea." Read a book that takes place at or on the sea.
Distant Echoes

3. Japanese Indigo: Read a book by a Japanese author or a book about fashion.
The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing - completed 02/16/19

4. "Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue."
Every Bride Needs a Groom - completed 02/09/19

message 12: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 265 comments I'm in for 2 for now, I might add more depending on how the month goes!

0/2 read so far

2. "The cure for anything is saltwater: sweat, tears, or the sea." Read a book about an activity that makes you sweat, brings about tears (happy or sad), or takes place at or on the sea.

The Good Shepherd - Book about WWII on the Atlantic Ocean

The Nightingale - Little bit of a stretch... but there are flowers on the cover!

message 13: by Steph (last edited Feb 25, 2019 04:40PM) (new)

Steph V | 58 comments I'm in for 4 please!

Progress: 4/4 Complete!!

1. Blue ribbon winner! Read an award-winning book or a book that centers around a contest. Still Me - Goodreads 2018 winner

4. Fly a Blue Flag. Read a book that takes place primarily in a country that has blue in its flag. One Day in December - takes place in the UK

5. "Roses are red, violets are blue..." Read a book of love poems or a book with flowers on the cover. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan - flowers on the cover

7. "Keep Calm and Carry Read On." Blue has been associated with serenity. Read a book with a cover or subject matter that relaxes you. Becoming - Blue calming cover

message 14: by Rina (last edited Feb 27, 2019 04:30AM) (new)

Rina (rina_p) | 95 comments Hi, I'm joining this challenge! I'm going to aim for at least 3 books.

CELEBRATING THE BLUES

Progress: 7/3 (Completed)

Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple wins ALA Alex Award (2013) and Women's Prize for Fiction Nominee (2013).

Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys is all of the above.

El Deafo by Cece Bell

Black-Eyed Susans by Julia Heaberlin has flowers on the cover (and in the title).

Low Expectations by Elizabeth Aaron

7. "Keep Calm and Carry Read On." Blue has been associated with serenity. Read a book with a cover or subject matter that relaxes you.
I Don't Have Time 15-minute ways to shape a life you love by Emma Grey

Misery by Stephen King has blue cover, was published in the 80s (old) and I borrowed this book from the library.

message 15: by SarahKat (new)

SarahKat | 1054 comments Everyone is added up to here. Welcome welcome!

message 16: by Crystal (last edited Feb 22, 2019 10:21PM) (new)

Crystal | 473 comments 5/3

1. Blue ribbon winner! Read an award-winning book or a book that centers around a contest. Final Exits: The Illustrated Encyclopedia of How We Die (Bram Stoker Award for Best Non-Fiction (2006))

3. "Everyday I have the blues." The Blues genre of music has been influential around the globe since its origins. Read a book about music or written by a musician. Pet Sematary

4. Fly a Blue Flag. Read a book that takes place primarily in a country that has blue in its flag. The Light Over London

Not His Dragon (Not This, #1) by Annie Nicholas

8. "Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue." Read a book about a wedding or that relates to any of these "somethings." The Mummy, or Ramses the Damned

message 17: by Cindy III (last edited Feb 25, 2019 10:33PM) (new)

Cindy III (polywag) | 247 comments I am in for 3/3
CELEBRATING THE BLUES

The color blue is often associated with sadness, but for this challenge we want you to celebrate it in its many forms. Whether reading one book for this challenge or eight to complete all of the prompts, we hope reading for this challenge will help you to shake the blues away.

Twelve Days in May: Freedom Ride 1961 Sibert Medal 2018 winner 2.24 - 25

Dawn of the Arcana, Vol. 13 sad tears 2.24

Clayton Byrd Goes Underground about mc Clayton who plays the blues harp the harmonica 2.12 - 17

The Great Passage by Shion Miura

message 18: by Ran (last edited Feb 28, 2019 05:55AM) (new)

Ran (ranc) I am in for 3 books, thank you!

1. The Stone Sky finished 2/23
4. The Road from Coorain (Australia) finished 2/28
7. Blue Mind finished 2/1

Challenge completed!

message 19: by Richard (last edited Feb 28, 2019 02:30AM) (new)

Richard Moore (richoman25) | 1241 comments 2019 Reading Challenge
February - Celebrating the Blues

7/8

1. Read an award-winning book.
28/2/19 ***** - The Magic of Thinking Big by David J. Schwartz

2. Read a book about an activity that makes you sweat.
11/2/19 ** - Fitting Fitness into a Busy Schedule! by Frank Norman

3. Read a book about music or written by a musician.
19/2/19 *** - Folsom Untold: The Strange True Story of Johnny Cash's Greatest Album by Danny Robins

5. Read a book with flowers on the cover.
11/2/19 ** - Creative Visualization: Use the Power of Your Imagination to Create What You Want in Your Life by Shakti Gawain

6. Read a book by a Japanese author.
1/2/19 ** - The Japanese Language: Learn the Fascinating History and Evolution of the Language Along With Many Useful Japanese Grammar Points by Haruhiko Kindaichi

7. Read a book with a subject matter that relaxes you.
4/2/19 *** - I'd Rather Be Reading: The Delights and Dilemmas of the Reading Life by Anne Bogel

8. Read a book about a wedding or that relates to any of these "somethings." - Blue cover
10/2/19 **** - The Productivity Project: Accomplishing More by Managing Your Time, Attention, and Energy by Chris Bailey

message 20: by Alix (last edited Jan 29, 2019 12:56PM) (new)

Alix (alixbrand) | 29 comments Hi everyone!

I'm new to this group. Can I Join the challenge? I'm going to try to do one from each and go for all 8 :)

**Please let me know if any of these don't count?**

1. Read an award-winning book or a book that centers around a contest.
The Kiss Quotient- Helen Hoang (Goodreads 2018 Winner)

2. Read a book about an activity that makes you sweat, brings about tears (happy or sad), or takes place at or on the sea.
If I Stay- Gayle Forman (apparently a tearjerker)

Hindsight- Justin Timberlake

4. Read a book that takes place primarily in a country that has blue in its flag.
Confess- Colleen Hoover (Country: US)

5. Read a book with flowers on the cover.
If Only You Knew- Kristan Higgins

6. Read a book by a Japanese author.
Never Let Me Go- Kazuo Ishiguro

7. Read a book with a subject matter that relaxes you.
Beautiful Disaster- Jamie McGuire

8. Read a book about a wedding or that relates to any of these "somethings."
Falling For the Best Man- Amanda Ashby

message 21: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 68 comments 1. Blue ribbon winner! Read an award-winning book or a book that centers around a contest.

message 22: by Mie (last edited Feb 10, 2019 07:37AM) (new)

Mie | 1505 comments Please put me down for 5 books 😊 5/5 - COMPLETE ✔️

📗 1. Award winner/contest - The Eye of the Tiger
📗 2. Salt: Sweat, tears or sea - How to Fall in Love
📗 3. Written by a musician - Mr. Mercedes
📗 4. Blue flag country - Us Against You
📗 7. Relaxing feeling cover - Faking It

message 23: by SarahKat (new)

SarahKat | 1054 comments Updated to here!

Jess, are you going to try for all 8?

message 24: by Jessica (last edited Feb 28, 2019 08:11AM) (new)

Jessica R. | 506 comments Please put me down for four :)

1. Blue ribbon winner! Read an award-winning book or a book that centers around a contest. - The Denial of Death by Ernest Becker

2. "The cure for anything is saltwater: sweat, tears, or the sea." Read a book about an activity that makes you sweat, brings about tears (happy or sad), or takes place at or on the sea. - I Am, I Am, I Am Seventeen Brushes with Death by Maggie O'Farrell (This book made me ugly cry so much.)

3. "Everyday I have the blues." The Blues genre of music has been influential around the globe since its origins. Read a book about music or written by a musician. - Brave by Rose McGowan

8. "Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue." Read a book about a wedding or that relates to any of these "somethings." - The Children of Henry VIII by Alison Weir

4/4 - COMPLETED!

message 25: by Mary (new)

Mary (frugalmom74) | 1 comments I will shoot for 3!

message 26: by Anna (last edited Mar 16, 2019 10:18PM) (new)

Anna Glebova (annaglebova) | 1167 comments I'm in!

***FINISHED***

1. Educated by Tara Westover 17.03.2019 ★★★★★
2. A River in Darkness: One Man's Escape from North Korea by Masaji Ishikawa 12.02.2019 ★★★★☆
3. The Long Hard Road Out of Hell by Marilyn Manson 20.02.2019 ★★★★☆
4. The Odyssey by Homer 09.02.2019 ★★★★☆
5. The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides 08.03.2019 ★★★★☆
6. The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro 09.03.2019 ★★★☆☆
7. The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah 09.02.2019 ★★★★★
8. The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks 12.03.2019 ★★★★☆

8/8

message 27: by Carmen (last edited Feb 26, 2019 10:53AM) (new)

Carmen | 1406 comments Hola!
Please, count me in for 8 books:
TOTAL: 8/8
☑1. Blue ribbon winner! If I Stay (If I Stay, #1) by Gayle Forman Blue Hen Book Award for Teen Readers (2011)
☑2. "The cure for anything is saltwater: sweat, tears, or the sea." Life of Pi by Yann Martel
☑3. "Everyday I have the blues." The Pianist by Władysław Szpilman
☑4. "Fly a Blue Flag" The Girl You Left Behind by Jojo Moyes (France and United Kingdom)
☑5. "Roses are red, violets are blue..." The Muse by Jessie Burton
☑6. Japanese Indigo plants create a beautiful blue dye and are used in a process called "blueing." The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami (Japanese author)
☑7. "Keep Calm and Carry Read On." The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (Nothing relaxes me more than the sea)
☑8. "Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue." Wedding Night by Sophie Kinsella

message 28: by Octothorpe Reader Leora K (last edited Feb 27, 2019 10:39PM) (new)

Octothorpe Reader Leora K (octothorpereaderleorak) | 245 comments ***CHALLENGE COMPLETED***
4/3 Books Completed

I'm in for 1!

CELEBRATING THE BLUES

2. "The cure for anything is saltwater: sweat, tears, or the sea." Read a book about an activity that makes you sweat, brings about tears (happy or sad), or takes place at or on the sea. - Where the Crawdads Sing

4. Fly a Blue Flag. Read a book that takes place primarily in a country that has blue in its flag. - Becoming

5. "Roses are red, violets are blue..." Read a book of love poems or a book with flowers on the cover. - The Winter of the Witch

8. "Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue." Read a book about a wedding or that relates to any of these "somethings." - The Beast's Heart

message 29: by Brittany (last edited Feb 22, 2019 02:59AM) (new)

Brittany Morrison | 305 comments I'm in for 2

2/2 complete

The Hate U Give finished 2/20/2019 won 3 goodreads choice awards and 2 audie awards (if you haven't read this yet I reallllly suggest the audiobook, it deserved those audie awards Bahni Turpin was amazing)

Mind's Eye finished 2/2/2019 (Sweden)

message 30: by Megan BG (last edited Feb 23, 2019 10:06PM) (new)

Megan BG (meganbgreads) | 1026 comments I'm going to aim for 4.

6/4

1. Read an award-winning book or a book that centers around a contest.
My Sister's Keeper

2. Read a book about an activity that makes you sweat, brings about tears (happy or sad), or that takes place at or on the sea.
The Girl Who Stayed

The Greatest Love Story Ever Told

4. Read a book that takes place primarily in a country that has blue in its flag.
The Winter Sister

7. Read a book with a cover or subject matter that relaxes you.
The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life

8. Read a book about a wedding or that relates to any of these "somethings."
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

message 31: by matilde (last edited Feb 25, 2019 02:22AM) (new)

matilde (matiswonderland) | 112 comments I´m in for 1.

- Nocturnes: Five Stories of Music and Nightfall

0/1 completed

message 32: by Amy (last edited Feb 23, 2019 04:20PM) (new)

Amy Ingalls | 760 comments I will go for 4!

4/4-- Challenge Completed!

1. Blue ribbon winner! Read an award-winning book or a book that centers around a contest. A Gathering of Days: A New England Girl's Journal, 1830-32-- Newbery

4. Fly a Blue Flag. Read a book that takes place primarily in a country that has blue in its flag.: The Brethren

5. "Roses are red, violets are blue..." Read a book of love poems or a book with flowers on the cover.: The Magnolia Inn

8. "Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue." Read a book about a wedding or that relates to any of these "somethings." Breath of Scandal Old crime/revenge and New love

message 33: by Alana (new)

Alana Wilson (alanawilson) | 8 comments I will commit to 2 for now. My job interview Friday may foil my more grand reading plans for February. I will make adjustments as month goes on.

message 34: by Jessica (last edited Mar 05, 2019 02:28AM) (new)

Jessica Ann (readncupcakes) | 54 comments Aimed for 3, and completed

Progress: 3/3

Read a book that centers around a contest - The Night Circus (2/19/19)
Read a book by a Japanese author - After Dark (2/27/19)
Read a book about something old - The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (2/4/19)

message 35: by Rebekah (last edited Jan 31, 2019 03:25AM) (new)

Rebekah | 35 comments I'll aim for 6 of these.

The Westing Game

Stargirl

message 36: by SarahKat (new)

SarahKat | 1054 comments Updated to here! Everyone ready to start filling in prompts tomorrow? I have 60 pages left in one of my books and am holding off until tomorrow so I can count it. ;)

message 37: by Luisa (new)

Luisa (deborahluisa) | 131 comments I'm in with 3 books!! (not sure if I will be able to finish it, but let's try)
Read so far: 0/3

1. Blue ribbon winner! Read an award-winning book or a book that centers around a contest. The Ocean at the End of the Lane
The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

2. "The cure for anything is saltwater: sweat, tears, or the sea." Read a book about an activity that makes you sweat, brings about tears (happy or sad), or takes place at or on the sea: Navigating Early
Navigating Early by Clare Vanderpool

3. "Everyday I have the blues." The Blues genre of music has been influential around the globe since its origins. Read a book about music or written by a musician: The Song Machine: Inside the Hit Factory
The Song Machine Inside the Hit Factory by John Seabrook

message 38: by oshizu, Challenges (new)

oshizu | 2320 comments SarahKat wrote: "Updated to here! Everyone ready to start filling in prompts tomorrow? I have 60 pages left in one of my books and am holding off until tomorrow so I can count it. ;)"

Haha, very crafy of you, SarahKat! 😊

message 39: by Kristin, Buddy Reads (last edited Feb 26, 2019 07:45AM) (new)

Kristin MB | 2625 comments Thank you for suggesting this challenge, SarahKat, and for leading it! I'd like to join in for 2 tasks (hopefully, more, but we'll see :-D)

3/2

1. Blue ribbon winner! Read an award-winning book or a book that centers around a contest. - Exit West

2. "The cure for anything is saltwater: sweat, tears, or the sea." Read a book about an activity that makes you sweat, brings about tears (happy or sad), or takes place at or on the sea. - Wade in the Water: Poems

4. Fly a Blue Flag. Read a book that takes place primarily in a country that has blue in its flag. - Paper Girls, Vol. 1 - Takes place in the U.S.

6. Japanese Indigo plants create a beautiful blue dye and are used in a process called "blueing." Read a book by a Japanese author or a book about fashion. - Out

7. "Keep Calm and Carry Read On." Blue has been associated with serenity. Read a book with a cover or subject matter that relaxes you. - Spark Joy: An Illustrated Master Class on the Art of Organizing and Tidying Up

8. "Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue." Read a book about a wedding or that relates to any of these "somethings." - The Winter of the Witch (Borrowed Book)

message 40: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Woods (nicole_woods65) | 589 comments I'm in for 3!

message 41: by Amy (Other Amy) (new)

Amy (Other Amy) | 214 comments I'll go for 4 on this one.

message 42: by June (last edited Feb 23, 2019 02:08PM) (new)

June | 153 comments February: Celebrating the Blueness
Aim 5/5

✔ 1. Blue ribbon winner! Read an award-winning book or a book that centers around a contest.
The Nightingale- won GR Choice Awards, Audie Award for Fiction

✔ 2. "The cure for anything is saltwater: sweat, tears, or the sea." Read a book about an activity that makes you sweat, brings about tears (happy or sad), or takes place at or on the sea.
Island of the Lost: Shipwrecked at the Edge of the World

✔ 4. Fly a Blue Flag. Read a book that takes place primarily in a country that has blue in its flag.
The Bluest Eye

✔ 7. "Keep Calm and Carry Read On." Blue has been associated with serenity. Read a book with a cover or subject matter that relaxes you.
Cover relaxes me: Washington Black by Esi Edugyan

✔ 8. "Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue." Read a book about a wedding or that relates to any of these "somethings."
Something new: published in 2019: Golden Child

message 43: by Chloe (last edited Mar 02, 2019 09:26PM) (new)

Chloe Y | 29 comments I am in for 1!

A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara

message 44: by oshizu, Challenges (new)

oshizu | 2320 comments I have a question for SarahKat:

May I count the United Kingdom's Union Jack flag for prompt #4?
I'll be reading a Swedish book later in the month, but I'm almost finished with an English one, so I'm wondering. :)

message 45: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 2566 comments Sign me up for 2, please :)

message 46: by SarahKat (new)

SarahKat | 1054 comments oshizu wrote: "I have a question for SarahKat:

May I count the United Kingdom's Union Jack flag for prompt #4?
I'll be reading a Swedish book later in the month, but I'm almost finished with an English one, so I..."

Yes. It just says "has blue in the flag" not mostly blue or anything. I think mine will be from the UK for that one as well!

Fun fact: there are 75 countries that have at least some blue on their flag.

message 47: by oshizu, Challenges (new)

oshizu | 2320 comments SarahKat wrote: oshizu wrote: May I count the United Kingdom's Union Jack flag for prompt #4?"

Yes. It just says "has blue in the flag" not mostly blue or anything. I think mine will be from the UK for that one as well!"

Thank you for the fast response, SarahKat!
I'm loving how versatile your challenge prompts are! :D

message 48: by Megan BG (last edited Feb 03, 2019 09:38AM) (new)

Megan BG (meganbgreads) | 1026 comments 1/4

8. "Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue." Read a book about a wedding or that relates to any of these "somethings." Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

message 49: by TerryJane (last edited Feb 28, 2019 10:01AM) (new)

TerryJane | 289 comments I'll try for at least 4. Not sure which prompts though.

I ended up doing all 8 prompts. 🙂

CELEBRATING THE BLUES - Monthly Challenge
Duration: 1 February - 28 February 2019
Progress: 8/4 -- COMPLETED 4 by 2/6/19; finished all 8 on 2/25/19

None of these titles is particularly good for shaking away the blues, but finishing a challenge is pretty uplifting.
~TerryJane
🙂

📘 1. Blue ribbon winner! Read an award-winning book or a book that centers around a contest.
The Sun Is Also a Star
The Sun Is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon
Winner of numerous awards:
California Book Award for Young Adult (Gold) (2016)
Michael L. Printz Award Nominee (2017)
South Carolina Book Award Nominee for Young Adult (2019)
Rhode Island Teen Book Award Nominee for Honorable Mention (2018)
John Steptoe New Talent Author Award (2017)
Amelia Elizabeth Walden Award Nominee (2017)
Goodreads Choice Award Nominee for Young Adult Fiction (2016)
Missouri Gateway Readers Award Nominee (2018)
Premio El Templo de las Mil Puertas Nominee for Mejor novela extranjera independiente (2017)

📘 2. "The cure for anything is saltwater: sweat, tears, or the sea." Read a book about an activity that makes you sweat, brings about tears (happy or sad), or takes place at or on the sea.
Something in the Water
Something in the Water by Catherine Steadman
Erin and Mark are newlyweds who honeymoon on Bora Bora. They boat to a spot a few miles off the island to go diving. Even after they return home to London, the "something in the water" continues to impact their lives.

📘 3. "Everyday I have the blues." The Blues genre of music has been influential around the globe since its origins. Read a book about music or written by a musician.
A Salty Piece of Land
A Salty Piece of Land by Jimmy Buffett
This book is written by musician, Jimmy Buffet. There are musician characters, as well as lots of fun references to musicans, bands and songs from my younger days. Who knew that Jimmy Buffet could tell mesmerizing stories?

📘 4. Fly a Blue Flag. Read a book that takes place primarily in a country that has blue in its flag.
The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon
The Lost City of Z A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon by David Grann
Col. Percy Fawcett was a British explorer who disappeared in Brazil. New York author David Grann researches and travels to South America to investigate. Between the red, white and blue of the USA and UK flags, and the green, yellow and blue flag of Brazil, this title covers the challenge requirement triply well.

📘 5. "Roses are red, violets are blue..." Read a book of love poems or a book with flowers on the cover.
Madame Bovary
Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
There were romance novels and love letters in this book, but I'm claiming it for the flowers on the cover.

📘 6. Japanese Indigo plants create a beautiful blue dye and are used in a process called "blueing." Read a book by a Japanese author or a book about fashion.
The Indigo Girl
The Indigo Girl by Natasha Boyd
This novel is about a real colonial South Carolina teenager's efforts to grow indigo on her father's plantations, and learn the complex process of converting indigo to dye. She also introduced the seeds and process to neighboring plantations, making a financial impact on colonial SC's economy through the export of indigo dye to England and France.

📘 7. "Keep Calm and Carry Read On." Blue has been associated with serenity. Read a book with a cover or subject matter that relaxes you.
A Dog's Purpose
A Dog's Journey
A Dog's Purpose (A Dog's Purpose, #1) by W. Bruce Cameron A Dog's Journey by W. Bruce Cameron
A double treat with these two! What could be more relaxing than the love of a faithful dog?

📘 8. "Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue." Read a book about a wedding or that relates to any of these "somethings."
A Reliable Wife
A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick
In 1908, a widowed Wisconsin businessman places a personal ad for a wife. Not the type wedding to which we're accustomed today, but there is a wedding nonetheless... as well as lots of mysterious twists.

message 50: by SarahKat (new)

SarahKat | 1054 comments Welcome everyone! Congrats Megan on finishing your first book!

I finished my first as well.

1/3

Gemina by Amie Kaufman for A book that relates to any of the "somethings." It's blue AND borrowed from the library

« previous 1 3 4
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.