Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

And Everything Else > Fave YA Covers

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Natalee (last edited Aug 20, 2009 10:16AM) (new)

Natalee (nataleem00) | 459 comments Share your favorite YA bookcovers here! I wanna see!

Here's one of mine:

[image error]

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I love all the House of Night covers!

Here's one of my faves:

Graceling by Kristin Cashore

I love the eye on the dagger... so awesome! :) I also liked the picture on the back of the cover, but I don't have a picture of it.

message 4: by Misty (last edited Aug 20, 2009 10:36AM) (new)

Misty | 1505 comments LOVE the mood in this cover:
Madapple by Christina Meldrum

And when it opens out, it's like a whole panorama landscape.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Here are some that I love the covers, but have not read them yet:

Eyes Like Stars (The Théâtre Illuminata Act 1) by Lisa Mantchev Before I Die by Jenny Downham

message 7: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Like Allison, I think the Libba Bray covers are gorgeous. I also like

Speak ( Platinum Edition) by Laurie Halse Anderson

It's so simple and pretty.

message 8: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 312 comments I love the Libba Bray covers.

I also really like the UK cover of Fire.

Fire by Kristin Cashore
I think it's fierce.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Ooohh Yeah April, I like that one too!

message 10: by Josie (last edited Aug 20, 2009 04:41PM) (new)

Josie (maid_marian) | 126 comments I like:
The Thief (The Queen's Thief, Book 1) by Megan Whalen Turner The Queen of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, Book 2) by Megan Whalen Turner The King of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, Book 3) by Megan Whalen Turner
and
Crown Duel (Contains Crown Duel & Court Duel) by Sherwood Smith Court Duel The Crown & Court Duet, Book II by Sherwood Smith
oh, and haven't read it but
[image error]
is very pretty :)

message 11: by Natalee (new)

Natalee (nataleem00) | 459 comments Oh I love that Wildthorn cover! So pretty! I just put it on my TBR and really have no idea what it's about! ;-)

message 12: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Yeah, what's with the zero details on its page? I added the summary. It made me want to read it more.

message 13: by Veronica (new)

Veronica i really like the uglies, pretties, specials, extras covers, by scott westerfeld. individually, they're really nothing that special, but when you put them all together and see the theme, it's pretty neat. also, each picture is altered to look like the type of person the main character is in that specific book . . . i really didn't describe that very well . . .

message 14: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Yeah, I love those covers. Especially Extras, because of the mods in her eyes.

message 15: by Veronica (new)

Veronica have you read bogus to bubbly? there are some reject covers for the books in there. Once you read the books, it's hard to imagine them with different covers.

message 16: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments My friend had a copy of that at her house and I flipped through, but I haven't read it. I can't (nor do I want to) picture the books differently. They are kind of iconic.

message 17: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 157 comments Some of my favorites are...

The Michael Whelan covers for ERB's Mars/Barsoom Series (not techinaclly YA, but could read by someone 13+). They're all great, but the first is probably my favorite.
A Princess of Mars (Barsoom, #1) by Edgar Rice Burroughs

Also, one by a favorite GR author (again not technically marketed as YA, but ones of those "for all ages" kind of books). This is the first, but I like the others as well. These were actually designed by the author himself.
The Road to Kotaishi, Part 1 (Tales of Tonogato) by Kevin Radthorne

Dragon Sword and Wind child
Dragon Sword and Wind Child by Noriko Ogiwara

This book is known as "The Naming" in the US, and "The Gift" outside the US. I personally prefer the UK cover the best. The sequels are just as pretty.
The Gift (The First Book of Pellinor) by Alison Croggon The Riddle by Alison Croggon The Crow The Third Book of Pellinor (Pellinor Series) by Alison Croggon The Singing The Fourth Book of Pellinor (Pellinor Series) by Alison Croggon

Isle of Swords and Isle of Fire by GR author Wayne Thomas Batson
Isle of Swords by Wayne Thomas Batson Isle of Fire by Wayne Thomas Batson

Here There Be Dragons. My Husband tells me that this is really good; I think he was saying that it has alot of historical and literary references, and it's pretty funny.
Here, There Be Dragons (Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica) by James A. Owen

The Dangerous Days of Daniel X, YA Science Fiction by James Patterson.
The Dangerous Days of Daniel X by James Patterson

I also really like the Twilight covers. It's the main reason I decided to read them.

message 18: by Josie (new)

Josie (maid_marian) | 126 comments I just found:
The Thirteenth Princess by Diane Zahler
It's not out yet, so there's no reviews, but I've added it to my TBR anyway, just for the cover!

message 19: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments I did the same thing when I saw it a few weeks ago. I tried to find a product description to add to the page and couldn't.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for sharing that cover, I just added it also!

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarai0989) Here's a review of the Thirteenth Princess I found on someone's book blog:

"Zita’s not just any servant girl: She's a princess—the thirteenth daughter of a king who wanted only sons and banished her to the servants' quarters to work in the castle's kitchen. Then, after Zita's twelfth birthday, her royal sisters all fall mysteriously ill. The only clue is their strangely worn and tattered shoes. With the help of her friends—Breckin the stable boy, Babette the witch, and Milek the soldier—Zita follows her bewitched sisters into a magical world of endless dancing and dreams. Something sinister is afoot—and Zita must find the source of the enchantment and break the curse or the twelve princesses will surely dance to their deaths.
With a mesmerizing voice and delightful imagination, Diane Zahler delivers a dazzling retelling of "The Twelve Dancing Princesses." Zita is the spunky and unforgettable heroine that young girls will love."
(link is http://rebeccasbookblog.blogspot.com/...)

message 22: by Sarah (last edited Sep 02, 2009 11:15AM) (new)

Sarah (sarai0989) I ALWAYS judge books by their covers, and I think YA books for girls have some of the prettiest ones. I have several books on my TBR list on the basis of their covers alone. I especially like covers that feature corsets, long hair, historical costumes, and girls' faces. I love all the Libba Bray covers (although I didn't particularly like the books themselves) and these:
[image error] [image error]

message 23: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments I LOOOOVE that cover for Sovay. Celia Rees seems to have good covers; I liked Witch Child by Celia Rees too.

message 24: by Josie (new)

Josie (maid_marian) | 126 comments Sarah wrote: "Here's a review of the Thirteenth Princess I found on someone's book blog:
"Zita’s not just any servant girl: She's a princess—the thirteenth daughter of a king who wanted only sons and banished h..."

Ah, yet another retelling of the Twelve Dancing Princesses then. I suspected as much...

message 25: by Charlizechat (new)

Charlizechat | 30 comments I just got my copy of 13 Little Blue Envelopes and I must say that, though the cover is definitely in the 'trendy' camp 13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson

rather than the romantic Libba Bray tradition, I'm floored by the ravishing pastel blues and pinks. The cover model's gloss just jumps off the cover, even the spine looks so pretty sitting on my case.

Sarah, I love your collection of covers!

message 26: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 157 comments I added this one to my books, just because I like the cover:

Blue Is For Nightmares (Blue Is For Nightmares, Book 1) by Laurie Faria Stolarz

I actually don't like covers with people on them most of the time. I'm not really sure why though. I guess I just like more "moody" covers, and ones with people on them don't give me that vibe.

message 27: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (tichwi) I will always pick up a book with a great cover. A couple I added to my TBR list based on coverart.
Wings by Aprilynne Pike
The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly
Ash by Malinda Lo

@ Linda Grace. Eyes Like Stars was a great book, I couldn't put it down.

message 28: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments I can't decide if I like that ^ cover of Ash or this one:
[image error] . You really have to see the second close up though; the beauty's in the detail.

message 29: by Bhumi (new)

Bhumi | 274 comments I like these too:
[image error] Rumors (Luxe, #2) by Anna Godbersen Envy (Luxe, #3) by Anna Godbersen

They're beautiful.

message 30: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments I love the covers, but don't like the books. Well, The Luxe, anyway. I won't read the rest; 1 was bad enough.

message 31: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (tichwi) @ Misty: I hadn't seen that cover, it is beautiful. It almost seems like they would be for two different books.

message 32: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Tiffany wrote: "@ Misty: I hadn't seen that cover, it is beautiful. It almost seems like they would be for two different books. "

Yeah, it really does. I had only seen the black cover until the book came for me at the library (black), and I went to mark it as currently reading, and the blue one popped up.

message 33: by Amy (new)

Amy Here's my favorite! I fell in love with this cover which is why I read the book (which is outstanding) and the cover of the second book (coming out in sept) is even prettier.

Fallen (Fallen, #1) by Lauren Kate

message 34: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments I love this for its cover too (I won it! yay!) but I haven't read it yet; I'm a little leery.

message 35: by Arya (new)

Arya (izlandzadi) | 686 comments Oooh Misty, well when you finish it please let us all know what you thought! I am thinking of reading it too, but am also leery - now you can be my guinea pig! lol.

message 36: by Jamie (last edited Apr 08, 2010 10:54AM) (new)

Jamie Lots of my favorites are already pictured, but here are a couple of newer covers that I think are beautiful:

All Unquiet Things by Anna Jarzab Banished by Sophie Littlefield

I also love the covers of Ellen Hopkins' books. They are simple, yet I find them striking. They capture the mood of the books quite well.

Some of my other favorites: A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly A Gathering Light by Jennifer Donnelly Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) by J.K. Rowling

message 37: by Angela Sunshine (last edited Apr 08, 2010 10:56AM) (new)

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) I really loved this cover for The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson and kept going back to consider buying it even though the reviews didn't pull me... So I eventually broke down and got it from Amazon (haven't read it yet) and was thoroughly disappointed that they sent me The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson instead. :-(

I am also waiting for Sleepless by Cyn Balog just because I love the cover.

message 38: by Amy (new)

Amy Leary about reading Fallen you mean??

Here's another I really like. Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

message 39: by Charlizechat (new)

Charlizechat | 30 comments I admit I like The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson --it looks like a Sephora ad or something.

But I do share your grief: it sucks not to get the edition you wanted!

message 40: by Josie (new)

Josie (maid_marian) | 126 comments So it's not YA, but I'm cataloguing this book at the moment, and keep staring in wonder at the cover, because it's so PRETTY (and I had to share it)!
The Confession of Katherine Howard by Suzannah Dunn

message 41: by Lani (new)

Lani (crahfty) Amy wrote: "Leary about reading Fallen you mean??

Here's another I really like.Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush, #1) by Becca Fitzpatrick"

Love the cover of Hush, Hush!

I also love the covers of these books:
Endless Summer (The Boys Next Door & Endless Summer) by Jennifer Echols , The Dark Divine (The Dark Divine, #1) by Bree Despain , Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler , Rules of Attraction (Perfect Chemistry, #2) by Simone Elkeles , Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green

There's so many more too!

message 42: by Heather (new)

Heather Bree (blackdotbug) vicki_girl wrote: "I added this one to my books, just because I like the cover:

Blue Is For Nightmares (Blue Is For Nightmares, #1) by Laurie Faria Stolarz

I actually don't like covers with people on them most of the time. I'm not really sure ..."

I don't like books with photographic covers because I like to imagine what the people look like. And I like to imagine they look like REAL PEOPLE, not photoshopped models. We get enough of that in magazines and commercials.

message 43: by Amy (new)

Amy Another that I like... The Fallen 1 The Fallen and Leviathan (The Fallen, #1-2) by Thomas E. Sniegoski

message 44: by Angela Sunshine (new)

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) I liked Sight Sight by Adrienne Maria Vrettos

It's not a pretty cover, but definitely caught my eye. Haha, get it?? :-/

message 45: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) I like the ones that are different and make you wonder what's going on, like Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli and Strange Objects by Gary Crew and it's other edition with the boy on the hilltop.

message 46: by Arya (new)

Arya (izlandzadi) | 686 comments Amy wrote: "Leary about reading Fallen you mean??

Here's another I really like.Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush, #1) by Becca Fitzpatrick"

Ooops - sorry for the bad spelling!! It just sounds a little strange. . . but I have it on hold at the library so I guess I have overcome my initial "leariness" - again pardon the spelling, I think I just coined a word!! LOL.

Did you like Fallen??

message 47: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) I love the cover of Rick Yancey's The Monstrumologist: The Monstrumologist (The Monstrumologist, #1) by Rick Yancey
Fascinating!

message 48: by Amy (new)

Amy I loved Fallen. Hush Hush took me longer to like but I did like it as well.

message 49: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Kellee, that is so cool. I don't like series books, or monsters, but this cover just begs me to pick it up!

message 50: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Cheryl wrote: "Kellee, that is so cool. I don't like series books, or monsters, but this cover just begs me to pick it up!"

Isn't it fabulous?!?!? It is so creepy and eye catching!

I thought the books was worth reading. To squash your fears: 1) You can read it as a stand alone if you want- it does not have a cliff hanger or anything that makes it so you HAVE to read the next book and 2) it is a monster book that stands on its own; however, it is a horror book with monsters, so you'll have to decide if you want to tackle it.

My review:
Will Henry was 11 years old when he lost his parents to a fire. With no family left, his father's employer, Dr. Wanthrop, took him in. Will Henry becomes Dr. Wanthrop's assistant in his interesting studies of Monstrumology. A monstrumologist is a scientist who studies and hunts life forms not recognized by science. One evening, a grave robber arrives with something that he believes only Dr. Wanthrop can deal with... and the adventure begins!!

This book follows as Will Henry and the doctor fight the monsters that have shown up in their home town.

Although gruesome, scary and horrifying at some points, it is never without warrant. This is the first book of a series and I cannot wait to read the sequels so I can follow Will Henry and the doctor on more adventures!!

« previous 1